Super Key no longer shows Apps

Phil Dobbin-2
Hi all.

I noticed this morning that when pressing the Super (Windows) key the
applications are missing: "Sorry there is nothing matching your search".

It finds files, images, music etc but no apps. Has anybody else seen this?

Cheers,

  Phil

--
Men are much better than their ordinary life allows them to be
     JB Priestley

Re: Super Key no longer shows Apps

Liam Proven
On Tue, 8 Jan 2019 at 14:50, Phil Dobbin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> I noticed this morning that when pressing the Super (Windows) key the
> applications are missing: "Sorry there is nothing matching your search".
>
> It finds files, images, music etc but no apps. Has anybody else seen this?

You'll have to be a lot more specific.

What Ubuntu release? What desktop? What was the last thing you did
before this happened? Did you customise the keyboard at all? Does it
otherwise work normally? Does the same thing happen with a different
keyboard?

On 08/01/2019 14:45, Liam Proven wrote:

> On Tue, 8 Jan 2019 at 14:50, Phil Dobbin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all.
>>
>> I noticed this morning that when pressing the Super (Windows) key the
>> applications are missing: "Sorry there is nothing matching your search".
>>
>> It finds files, images, music etc but no apps. Has anybody else seen this?
>
> You'll have to be a lot more specific.
>
> What Ubuntu release? What desktop? What was the last thing you did
> before this happened? Did you customise the keyboard at all? Does it
> otherwise work normally? Does the same thing happen with a different
> keyboard?
!6.04 Unity I applied the days updates (I've been through apt's logs &
nothing jumped out at me) keyboard is standard issue (it's a laptop).

I've Googled it but all the answers there haven't worked. I'm stumped.

Cheers,

  Phil.

--
One woman makes a din, two women a lot of trouble, three an annual
market, four a quarrel, five an army, and against six the Devil himself

On Tue, 8 Jan 2019 at 16:20, Phil Dobbin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> !6.04 Unity I applied the days updates (I've been through apt's logs &
> nothing jumped out at me) keyboard is standard issue (it's a laptop).
>
> I've Googled it but all the answers there haven't worked. I'm stumped.

Hmmm. That's what I'm running on my laptop at home myself, so I will
try it tonight and see if I can reproduce this.

Does Super+a for apps *only* work as expected?

On 08/01/2019 15:59, Liam Proven wrote:

> On Tue, 8 Jan 2019 at 16:20, Phil Dobbin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> !6.04 Unity I applied the days updates (I've been through apt's logs &
>> nothing jumped out at me) keyboard is standard issue (it's a laptop).
>>
>> I've Googled it but all the answers there haven't worked. I'm stumped.
>
> Hmmm. That's what I'm running on my laptop at home myself, so I will
> try it tonight and see if I can reproduce this.
>
> Does Super+a for apps *only* work as expected?
Using Super+a it still comes up with no apps & says sorry it couldn't
find anything in its search.

--
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a
fool"

On Tue, 8 Jan 2019 at 18:07, Phil Dobbin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Using Super+a it still comes up with no apps & says sorry it couldn't
> find anything in its search.

That's very odd. You're not entering any search parameters?

The apps are still actually there, right? You can run them if they're
pinned to the launcher, or from a terminal?

On 08/01/2019 17:30, Liam Proven wrote:

> On Tue, 8 Jan 2019 at 18:07, Phil Dobbin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Using Super+a it still comes up with no apps & says sorry it couldn't
>> find anything in its search.
>
> That's very odd. You're not entering any search parameters?
>
> The apps are still actually there, right? You can run them if they're
> pinned to the launcher, or from a terminal?

yeah the apps are still there & functioning but Super draws a blank.

--
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a
fool"
     William Shakespeare (As You Like It, V. i.)

Re: Super Key no longer shows Apps

Phil Dobbin-2
Hi all.

I booted the laptop up this morning & lo & behold the Super key now
shows all the apps.

Which goes to show that 'turn it off, turn it on again' is the best all
round advice.

Sorry for the noise & thanks to Liam.

Cheers,

  Phil.

On Wed, 9 Jan 2019 at 12:10, Phil Dobbin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> I booted the laptop up this morning & lo & behold the Super key now
> shows all the apps.
>
> Which goes to show that 'turn it off, turn it on again' is the best all
> round advice.
>
> Sorry for the noise & thanks to Liam.

I'm glad to hear that. You're welcome for what very little help I was
able to provide. I'm afraid I didn't have time to try to reproduce it
last night at home, and I was considering firing up a VM at work to
have a look and see if I could...