System update corrupted system

Bret Busby-2
I have just completed a system update on UbuntuMATE 21/.04, and
rebooted, and it has corrupted the system.

It broke the panel, shifted everything around in the panel, set the
font in the panel, to be too big to be usable, and will not let me
change the font size in the panel.

I now can not launch some of the applications from the panel, because
the sabotage has put them behind the text of the menu text in the
panel.

I do not know why the "developers" set out to break the installation,
via "updates".

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

Re: System update corrupted system

Liam Proven
On Fri, 18 Jun 2021 at 18:38, Bret Busby <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have just completed a system update on UbuntuMATE 21/.04, and
> rebooted, and it has corrupted the system.
>
> It broke the panel, shifted everything around in the panel, set the
> font in the panel, to be too big to be usable, and will not let me
> change the font size in the panel.
>
> I now can not launch some of the applications from the panel, because
> the sabotage has put them behind the text of the menu text in the
> panel.
>
> I do not know why the "developers" set out to break the installation,
> via "updates".

Obviously, they do _not_, but OTOH, if you want a quiet life, run the
LTS version, not the short-term one.

Secondly, MATE is in some flux at the moment, I believe, as they
progressively move stuff from using Gtk 2 to Gtk 3 -- although that
should settle down as with GNOME 3-40, renamed GNOME 40 so as not to
scare the horses, Gtk 4 is now out.

Can you give us any more info to identify _what_ went wrong?

• How did you do the update?
• Did it give an errors?
• Is there a log?
• Does `apt install -f` fix any broken packages or anything?
• Can you do another update and then reboot in case something did not complete?
• Could there be something else awry such as running out of disk space?

Email: [hidden email] – gMail/gTalk/gHangouts: [hidden email]

Re: System update corrupted system

Ubuntu mailing list
On Fri, 18 Jun 2021 19:21:00 +0200, Liam Proven wrote:
>Obviously, they do _not_, but OTOH, if you want a quiet life, run the
>LTS version, not the short-term one.

Actually I build lxpanel for 16.04 LTS in 2019 myself, at that time
16.04 LTS was still supported. However, the weather report service used
by lxpanel was discontinued as a free service. It worked when I
installed the LTS, but got broken some day and seemingly no official
package ever fixed it by a backport or at best, if it got ever a
backported patch, the weeks or moth to late for the users.

[weremouse@moonstudio src]$ dpkg-deb -I lxpanel_0.10.0-1_amd64.deb
 new debian package, version 2.0.
 size 1255382 bytes: control archive=313 bytes.
       0 bytes,     0 lines      conffiles
     203 bytes,     9 lines      control
 Package: lxpanel

At the moment >= 18.04 lxpanel is in universe and it probably was for
16.04, too.

"Main

The main component contains applications that are free software, can be
freely redistributed and are fully supported by the Ubuntu team. This
includes the most popular and most reliable open-source applications
available, many of which are included by default when you install
Ubuntu. Software in main includes a hand-selected list of applications
that the Ubuntu developers, community and users feel are most
important, and that the Ubuntu security and distribution team are
willing to support. When you install software from the main component,
you are assured that the software will come with security updates and
that commercial technical support is available from Canonical.

Restricted

Our commitment is to only promote free software – or software available
under a free licence. However, we make exceptions for a small set of
tools and drivers that make it possible to install Ubuntu and its free
applications on everyday hardware. These proprietary drivers are kept
in the restricted component. Please note that it may not be possible to
provide complete support for this software because we are unable to fix
the software ourselves - we can only forward problem reports to the
actual authors. Some software from restricted will be installed on
Ubuntu CDs but is clearly separated to ensure that it is easy to
remove. We will only use non-open-source software when there is no
other way to install Ubuntu. The Ubuntu team works with vendors to
accelerate the open-sourcing of their software to ensure that as much
software as possible is available under a free licence.

Universe

The universe component is a snapshot of the free, open-source, and
Linux world. It houses almost every piece of open-source software, all
built from a range of public sources. Canonical does not provide a
guarantee of regular security updates for software in the universe
component, but will provide these where they are made available by the
community. Users should understand the risk inherent in using these
packages. Popular or well supported pieces of software will move from
universe into main if they are backed by maintainers willing to meet
the standards set by the Ubuntu team.

Multiverse

The multiverse component contains software that is not free, which
means the licensing requirements of this software do not meet the
Ubuntu main component licence policy. The onus is on you to verify your
rights to use this software and comply with the licensing terms of the
copyright holder. This software is not supported and usually cannot be
fixed or updated. Use it at your own risk." -
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories#Main

On Fri, 18 Jun 2021 21:51:39 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>Actually I build lxpanel for 16.04 LTS in 2019 myself, at that time
>16.04 LTS was still supported. However, the weather report service used
>by lxpanel was discontinued as a free service. It worked when I
>installed the LTS, but got broken some day and seemingly no official
>package ever fixed it by a backport or at best, if it got ever a
>backported patch, the weeks or moth to late for the users.
                   then weeks or month too

Dunno what happened here.

Re: System update corrupted system

Ubuntu mailing list
https://packages.ubuntu.com/bionic/mate-panel
https://packages.ubuntu.com/focal/mate-panel
https://packages.ubuntu.com/groovy/mate-panel
https://packages.ubuntu.com/hirsute/mate-panel
https://packages.ubuntu.com/impish/mate-panel

mate-panel is in universe, too.

Btw. not only panels from universe get a little bit broken, way more
relevant software, such as browser, e.g. falkon tend to break
completely within a LTS release cycle.

When using all official repos, then even a LTS is absolutely unstable.

An official flavour is just a flavour, it's not Ubuntu.

Re: System update corrupted system

Doug McGarrett

On 6/18/21 3:51 PM, Ralf Mardorf via ubuntu-users wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Jun 2021 19:21:00 +0200, Liam Proven wrote:
>> Obviously, they do _not_, but OTOH, if you want a quiet life, run the
>> LTS version, not the short-term one.
> Actually I build lxpanel for 16.04 LTS in 2019 myself, at that time
> 16.04 LTS was still supported. However, the weather report service used
> by lxpanel was discontinued as a free service. It worked when I
> installed the LTS, but got broken some day and seemingly no official
> package ever fixed it by a backport or at best, if it got ever a
> backported patch, the weeks or moth to late for the users.
You can sign up to receive the National Weather Service from the US
government for
the area you live in--or any area you may be interested in--my area is
Rocky Point, NY,
on Long Island, and the URL I use is
https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=40.95222464935049&lon=-72.93118025638873#.YM0hyCUpCV5
So you can see how it works. Put in your own location. Simple enough,
and free, as you requested.
--doug

On Fri, 18 Jun 2021 18:48:04 -0400, Douglas McGarrett wrote:
>You can sign up to receive the National Weather Service from the US
>government for the area you live in--or any area you may be interested
>in--my area is Rocky Point, NY, on Long Island, and the URL I use is
>https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=40.95222464935049&lon=-72.93118025638873#.YM0hyCUpCV5
>So you can see how it works. Put in your own location. Simple enough,
>and free, as you requested. --doug

This wouldn't fix the weather plugin of a panel. As already pointed out,
1. I fixed it by building an updated package myself and 2. 16.04 is end
of standard support, that's more or less equal to end of life.

My point is, that a panel can easily break even when using an Ubuntu
LTS, or the version provided by upstream is buggy and Ubuntu will never
fix it during an LTS release cycle.

I'm using Ubuntu and Arch Linux. Arch is a rolling release and even
while it sometimes is required to temporarily build a package with a fix
myself, too, it's not the final solution, while for Ubuntu LTS releases
it is the only solution to fix packages myself.

https://sourceforge.net/p/lxde/bugs/916/

https://sourceforge.net/p/lxde/bugs/751/

Let alone that webkitgtk2 was never removed and became a serious
security risk for 16.04 LTS, at least for those users who aren't aware
of such issues.

The "universe" repository isn't maintained by Canonical, it is more ore
less good or bad maintained by the community.

"Popular or well supported pieces of software will move from
universe into main if they are backed by maintainers willing to meet
the standards set by the Ubuntu team."

This means, that a lot of popular software has never made it into
"main".

The OP is using software from "universe", too.