Systemd journal getting very large on 18.04 - how to reduce?

Systemd journal getting very large on 18.04 - how to reduce?

Chris Green
I have an Ubuntu 18.04 system and I've just noticed that the
/var/log/journal directory is 4Gb, that's way too much.

How is it supposed to be limited.

--
Chris Green

Re: Systemd journal getting very large on 18.04 - how to reduce?

Ralf Mardorf-5
On Sat, 4 Aug 2018 20:38:26 +0100, Chris Green wrote:
>I have an Ubuntu 18.04 system and I've just noticed that the
>/var/log/journal directory is 4Gb, that's way too much.
>
>How is it supposed to be limited.

Hi,

I don't know, but freedesktop.org should be able to answer your request.

https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/journald.conf.html

Regards,
Ralf

Re: Systemd journal getting very large on 18.04 - how to reduce?

Oliver Grawert
hi,
Am Samstag, den 04.08.2018, 20:38 +0100 schrieb Chris Green:
> I have an Ubuntu 18.04 system and I've just noticed that the
> /var/log/journal directory is 4Gb, that's way too much.
>
> How is it supposed to be limited.

typically logrtate should cover it and rotate and compress it regulary,
if this does not happen then there is a bug you should report.
(the switch to journald-only-by-default is new in 18.04, someone might
have missed something)

ciao
        oli

On Sun, Aug 05, 2018 at 01:16:25AM +0200, Oliver Grawert wrote:

> hi,
> Am Samstag, den 04.08.2018, 20:38 +0100 schrieb Chris Green:
> > I have an Ubuntu 18.04 system and I've just noticed that the
> > /var/log/journal directory is 4Gb, that's way too much.
> >
> > How is it supposed to be limited.
>
> typically logrtate should cover it and rotate and compress it regulary,
> if this does not happen then there is a bug you should report.
> (the switch to journald-only-by-default is new in 18.04, someone might
> have missed something)

The journald.conf(5) man page tells me that the limit *is* 4Gb!  That
seems crazy to me, who wants 4Gb of journal files?

The rules (for 'real' disk based journal files) are:-

    Maximum of 10% of the file system where /var/log/journal is
    Must leave at least 10% of file system free
    Absolute maximum of 4Gb

These might make sense where /var/log is on a relatively small
separate file system but I'm sure most Ubuntu users won't be in this
situation (like me) and thus one will always hit the 4Gb absolute
limit.

It just doesn't sound sensible to me.

Where will I find the appropriate place to request a change
(enhancement, it's not a bug really)?

Am Sonntag, den 05.08.2018, 08:17 +0100 schrieb Chris Green:

> The journald.conf(5) man page tells me that the limit *is* 4Gb!  That
> seems crazy to me, who wants 4Gb of journal files?
>
> The rules (for 'real' disk based journal files) are:-
>
>     Maximum of 10% of the file system where /var/log/journal is
>     Must leave at least 10% of file system free
>     Absolute maximum of 4Gb
>
> These might make sense where /var/log is on a relatively small
> separate file system but I'm sure most Ubuntu users won't be in this
> situation (like me) and thus one will always hit the 4Gb absolute
> limit.
>
> It just doesn't sound sensible to me.
>

> Where will I find the appropriate place to request a change
> (enhancement, it's not a bug really)?
an "enhancement" is a "whishlist" bug, systemd-journald (and its
config) lives in the systemd package:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/systemd/+filebug

is the place to file the bug ...

ciao
        oli

Re: Systemd journal getting very large on 18.04 - how to reduce?

Tom H
On Sun, Aug 5, 2018 at 1:18 AM Oliver Grawert <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Am Samstag, den 04.08.2018, 20:38 +0100 schrieb Chris Green:
>>
>> I have an Ubuntu 18.04 system and I've just noticed that the
>> /var/log/journal directory is 4Gb, that's way too much.
>>
>> How is it supposed to be limited.
>
> typically logrtate should cover it and rotate and compress it regulary,
> if this does not happen then there is a bug you should report.

journald manages its own log rotation.

On Sun, Aug 5, 2018 at 7:20 AM Chris Green <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 05, 2018 at 01:16:25AM +0200, Oliver Grawert wrote:
>> Am Samstag, den 04.08.2018, 20:38 +0100 schrieb Chris Green:
>>>
>>> I have an Ubuntu 18.04 system and I've just noticed that the
>>> /var/log/journal directory is 4Gb, that's way too much.
>>>
>>> How is it supposed to be limited.
>>
>> typically logrtate should cover it and rotate and compress it regulary,
>> if this does not happen then there is a bug you should report.
>> (the switch to journald-only-by-default is new in 18.04, someone might
>> have missed something)
>
> The journald.conf(5) man page tells me that the limit *is* 4Gb! That
> seems crazy to me, who wants 4Gb of journal files?
>
> The rules (for 'real' disk based journal files) are:-
>
> Maximum of 10% of the file system where /var/log/journal is
> Must leave at least 10% of file system free
> Absolute maximum of 4Gb
>
> These might make sense where /var/log is on a relatively small
> separate file system but I'm sure most Ubuntu users won't be in this
> situation (like me) and thus one will always hit the 4Gb absolute
> limit.
>
> It just doesn't sound sensible to me.

And, in a year, someone'll say that whatever value you consider
sensible isn't sensible...

You can control journal files with "SystemMaxUse" "SystemKeepFree"
"SystemMaxFileSize" "SystemMaxFiles" in journald.conf"..

On Sun, 5 Aug 2018 20:41:31 +0000, Tom H wrote:
>You can control journal files with "SystemMaxUse" "SystemKeepFree"
>"SystemMaxFileSize" "SystemMaxFiles" in journald.conf"..

It's mentioned by the link provided by the first reply to this thread
[1].

By the fourth reply the OP mentioned "journald.conf(5) man page".

[1]
Begin forwarded message:

Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2018 21:48:49 +0200
From: Ralf Mardorf <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: Systemd journal getting very large on 18.04 - how to
reduce?

On Sun, Aug 05, 2018 at 08:41:31PM +0000, Tom H wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 5, 2018 at 7:20 AM Chris Green <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >> typically logrtate should cover it and rotate and compress it regulary,
> >> if this does not happen then there is a bug you should report.
> >> (the switch to journald-only-by-default is new in 18.04, someone might
> >> have missed something)
> >
> > The journald.conf(5) man page tells me that the limit *is* 4Gb! That
> > seems crazy to me, who wants 4Gb of journal files?
> >
> > The rules (for 'real' disk based journal files) are:-
> >
> > Maximum of 10% of the file system where /var/log/journal is
> > Must leave at least 10% of file system free
> > Absolute maximum of 4Gb
> >
> > These might make sense where /var/log is on a relatively small
> > separate file system but I'm sure most Ubuntu users won't be in this
> > situation (like me) and thus one will always hit the 4Gb absolute
> > limit.
> >
> > It just doesn't sound sensible to me.
>
> And, in a year, someone'll say that whatever value you consider
> sensible isn't sensible...

Obviously! :-)  I still think a default 'absolute' limit of 4Gb is too
big.

> You can control journal files with "SystemMaxUse" "SystemKeepFree"
> "SystemMaxFileSize" "SystemMaxFiles" in journald.conf"..

Yes, I know, but I prefer to keep my systems as standard as possible
if I can.

--
Chris Green