Tip: VLC and zero length files

Fedora mailing list
Hi All,

VLC 5.0.3
Fedora 29, x64
Xfce 4.13

Heads up: if you read a zero length *.mp4 file with VLC, the error
windows will pop up, start to shimmer, eventually kill VLC,
and you will get Logged out -- losing everything you had open.
You can log back in, but nothing seems to work quite right until
you reboot.

I am not reporting it to VLC as they act like such jerks
when you do.

-T

Re: Tip: VLC and zero length files

Ed Greshko
On 1/3/19 1:18 AM, ToddAndMargo via users wrote:

> VLC 5.0.3
> Fedora 29, x64
> Xfce 4.13
>
> Heads up: if you read a zero length *.mp4 file with VLC, the error
> windows will pop up, start to shimmer, eventually kill VLC,
> and you will get Logged out -- losing everything you had open.
> You can log back in, but nothing seems to work quite right until
> you reboot.
>
> I am not reporting it to VLC as they act like such jerks
> when you do.

Where did you get vlc?

Running vlc from rpmfusion.  vlc-3.0.5-4.fc29  and the others the same under a VM

Not able to reproduce.  Get the pop-up and that's it.

--
Right: I dislike the default color scheme Wrong: What idiot picked the default color scheme

Re: EXTERNAL: Re: Tip: VLC and zero length files

Fedora mailing list
On 1/2/19 4:57 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:

> On 1/3/19 1:18 AM, ToddAndMargo via users wrote:
>> VLC 5.0.3
>> Fedora 29, x64
>> Xfce 4.13
>>
>> Heads up: if you read a zero length *.mp4 file with VLC, the error
>> windows will pop up, start to shimmer, eventually kill VLC,
>> and you will get Logged out -- losing everything you had open.
>> You can log back in, but nothing seems to work quite right until
>> you reboot.
>>
>> I am not reporting it to VLC as they act like such jerks
>> when you do.
> Where did you get vlc?
>
> Running vlc from rpmfusion.  vlc-3.0.5-4.fc29  and the others the same under a VM
>
> Not able to reproduce.  Get the pop-up and that's it.

Same here.
rpm -q vlc
vlc-3.0.5-4.fc29.x86_64
uname -r
4.19.10-300.fc29.x86_64
ls -l zero.rpm
-rw-rw-r--. 1 roger roger 0 Jan  2 17:06 zero.mp4
Get the pop-up and that's it.

--
Roger Wells, P.E.
leidos

On 1/2/19 2:10 PM, Wells, Roger K. via users wrote:

> On 1/2/19 4:57 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
>> On 1/3/19 1:18 AM, ToddAndMargo via users wrote:
>>> VLC 5.0.3
>>> Fedora 29, x64
>>> Xfce 4.13
>>>
>>> Heads up: if you read a zero length *.mp4 file with VLC, the error
>>> windows will pop up, start to shimmer, eventually kill VLC,
>>> and you will get Logged out -- losing everything you had open.
>>> You can log back in, but nothing seems to work quite right until
>>> you reboot.
>>>
>>> I am not reporting it to VLC as they act like such jerks
>>> when you do.
>> Where did you get vlc?
>>
>> Running vlc from rpmfusion.  vlc-3.0.5-4.fc29  and the others the same under a VM
>>
>> Not able to reproduce.  Get the pop-up and that's it.
>>
> Same here.
> rpm -q vlc
> vlc-3.0.5-4.fc29.x86_64
> uname -r
> 4.19.10-300.fc29.x86_64
> ls -l zero.rpm
> -rw-rw-r--. 1 roger roger 0 Jan  2 17:06 zero.mp4
> Get the pop-up and that's it.

I got it from RPM Fusion.  Are you also running Xfce 4.13?

On 1/3/19 7:09 AM, ToddAndMargo via users wrote:

> On 1/2/19 2:10 PM, Wells, Roger K. via users wrote:

>>> Where did you get vlc?
>>>
>>> Running vlc from rpmfusion.  vlc-3.0.5-4.fc29  and the others the same under a VM
>>>
>>> Not able to reproduce.  Get the pop-up and that's it.
>>>
>> Same here.
>> rpm -q vlc
>> vlc-3.0.5-4.fc29.x86_64
>> uname -r
>> 4.19.10-300.fc29.x86_64
>> ls -l zero.rpm
>> -rw-rw-r--. 1 roger roger 0 Jan  2 17:06 zero.mp4
>> Get the pop-up and that's it.
>>

> I got it from RPM Fusion.  Are you also running Xfce 4.13?

You said "VLC 5.0.3".

[root@f29b-xfce ~]# rpm -q vlc
vlc-3.0.5-4.fc29.x86_64

And updates-testing only has 3.0.5-10.  Thus my question.

I suppose I should have checked the https://www.videolan.org/vlc/ site first.  They have
only 3.0.5 as the most recent version.

Yes, Xfce 4.13 in a fully updated F29 VM.

--
Right: I dislike the default color scheme Wrong: What idiot picked the default color scheme

Re: EXTERNAL: Re: Tip: VLC and zero length files

Fedora mailing list

> You said "VLC 5.0.3".

$ rpm -qa vlc
vlc-3.0.5-4.fc29.x86_64

Dyslexia.  Mumble, Mumble ...

On 1/2/19 9:18 AM, ToddAndMargo via users wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> VLC 5.0.3
> Fedora 29, x64
> Xfce 4.13
>
> Heads up: if you read a zero length *.mp4 file with VLC, the error
> windows will pop up, start to shimmer, eventually kill VLC,
> and you will get Logged out -- losing everything you had open.
> You can log back in, but nothing seems to work quite right until
> you reboot.
>
> I am not reporting it to VLC as they act like such jerks
> when you do.
>
> -T

Also reproduces if your network connection is down and you want
run something from the web.  Doesn't crash Xfce though.