Transitioned from years of Windows O/S to Kubuntu

Transitioned from years of Windows O/S to Kubuntu

James L. Parmenter
Hi All;
         I'm 68 yr old white male who's been using Windows since Windows for Work Groups 3.1.1 I just installed Kubuntu 16.04.3 on my Laptop. I've done in the terminal Konsole, sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get upgrade, Discover has updated 259 updates automatically. I've re-booted twice since my install. I've searched the Internet for things (guides) to do after fresh install, but not sure about some of the advice..? I've read some e-books about "how to's" yet not much info on setting up the system for an everyday PC usage... I read an article about KDE 5.8.8 and some backports..? being available from the PPA..? Haven't installed it yet, PPA's leave me a bit weary. I've tried Synaptic Package Manager but removed it cuz I don't know what to look for..? No problems w/install, so this is NOT Tech Support... just asking for advice for a "good System"..!  Thanks in  advance,

James...

Re: Transitioned from years of Windows O/S to Kubuntu

David Fletcher
On Wed, 2018-01-24 at 14:03 -0700, James L. Parmenter wrote:
> Hi All;
>          I'm 68 yr old white male

Don't remember ever before seeing anybody specify their skin colour in
an opening post on an open source computing mailing list.

Are we supposed to care?

Re: Transitioned from years of Windows O/S to Kubuntu

James L. Parmenter
David;
         Truthfully.......I don't recall ever asking anyone if they care or not, you wan to be a snob..? Find some other place to be snobish....!!!!!

On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 4:07 PM, David Fletcher <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, 2018-01-24 at 14:03 -0700, James L. Parmenter wrote:
> Hi All;
>          I'm 68 yr old white male

Don't remember ever before seeing anybody specify their skin colour in
an opening post on an open source computing mailing list.

Are we supposed to care?

Re: Transitioned from years of Windows O/S to Kubuntu

Doug McGarrett

On 01/24/2018 04:03 PM, James L. Parmenter wrote:
[...]

Well, James, I think you have made a BIG mistake. Synaptic is a real useful app. It allows you to find and install a whole galaxy of programs (apps) that you will find useful while you explore and use

your Linux system.  And KDE 5.x is quite similar to Windows in the way it works. If you like to put icons on screen to help you jump right into an application, you can do that, or if you don't, you can

use the Application Menu in the lower left corner of the screen, where Windows has the Start icon.  (FYI: Linux users like to call the screen the "desktop"--maybe that's a Microsoft word, I don't know.

The "tray" or "systray" (which is usually along the bottom edge of the screen in KDE) is usually called the "panel" in Linux.

What to do after a fresh install, you seem to have done: you got all the updates. After that, what you do is find programs that let you do whatever you used to do with Windows. There are certainly

Linux routines that copy the same kind of routines that you used in Windows--sometimes better! You'll find almost all of them in your Synaptic, once you have reinstalled it!  (Since you no longer have it,

try sudo apt-get install synaptic--I hope that works.)

--doug

Re: Transitioned from years of Windows O/S to Kubuntu

Clay Weber-2
On Wed, January 24, 2018 4:03 pm, James L. Parmenter wrote:

> Hi All;
> I'm 68 yr old white male who's been using Windows since Windows
> for Work Groups 3.1.1 I just installed Kubuntu 16.04.3 on my Laptop. I've
> done in the terminal Konsole, sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get
> upgrade, Discover has updated 259 updates automatically. I've re-booted
> twice since my install. I've searched the Internet for things (guides) to
> do after fresh install, but not sure about some of the advice..? I've read
> some e-books about "how to's" yet not much info on setting up the system
> for an everyday PC usage... I read an article about KDE 5.8.8 and some
> backports..? being available from the PPA..? Haven't installed it yet,
> PPA's leave me a bit weary. I've tried Synaptic Package Manager but
> removed it cuz I don't know what to look for..? No problems w/install, so
> this is NOT Tech Support... just asking for advice for a "good System"..!
> Thanks
> in  advance,
>
> James...

http://docs.kubuntu.co.uk/1604/
https://kubuntu.org/support/
When looking at how-tos and the like, make sure you check that the date
they are written are not too old, and are specific to 16.04 as there are
always changes that may make the content out of date. It is easy enough to
ask here or in the forums or irc chat channel.

Actually, if things are working well for you, then there is no need to
worry about PPAs or anything like that.These are nice upgrades but are
totally optional.

As to setting things up, what are you looking to do? There really is very
little to do in this area other than personalization you might want.

While Synaptic is a great tool, you highlight a reason why Discover is the
default software manager. There are a great number of packages that a
normal desktop user will never need to see, such as all the system
libraries, -dev packages, and the like. Discover focuses mainly on
software, not the unseen bits, so it is just fine for many people. As you
are already trying out the terminal, you may soon discover that you like
this method over a GUI tool.
(NOTE: when using the commandline to update, use the correct 'sudo apt
full-upgrade' or 'sudo apt-get dist-upgrade' command as these will install
*all* updates and required additions, whereas 'apt-get upgrade' does not.
Confusing at first, but true.)

Clay Weber

Re: Transitioned from years of Windows O/S to Kubuntu

Leroy Tennison-2
On 01/24/2018 05:43 PM, James L. Parmenter wrote:

> David;
>            Truthfully.......I don't recall ever asking anyone if they care or
> not, you wan to be a snob..? Find some other place to be snobish...!!!!!
>

> On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 4:07 PM, David Fletcher <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>      On Wed, 2018-01-24 at 14:03 -0700, James L. Parmenter wrote:
>      > Hi All;
>      >          I'm 68 yr old white male
>
>      Don't remember ever before seeing anybody specify their skin colour in
>      an opening post on an open source computing mailing list.
>
>      Are we supposed to care?
>

>      --
>

> I can't say if it will help but I almost always do (after sudo -i)
> apt-get update;apt-get upgrade;apt-get dist-upgrade;apt-get
> autoremove.  I will say that the terminal prompt isn't the easiest
> thing to learn but applaud you for making the effort.  If there is a
> linux user's group in your area I would also encourage you to get
> involved in it in addition to mailing lists.  There's a lot to learn
> (and you never really get there) but you've made the right start.

Re: Transitioned from years of Windows O/S to Kubuntu

Billie Walsh
On 01/24/2018 03:03 PM, James L. Parmenter wrote:

> Hi All;
>          I'm 68 yr old white male who's been using Windows since
> Windows for Work Groups 3.1.1 I just installed Kubuntu 16.04.3 on my
> Laptop. I've done in the terminal Konsole, sudo apt-get update and
> sudo apt-get upgrade, Discover has updated 259 updates automatically.
> I've re-booted twice since my install. I've searched the Internet for
> things (guides) to do after fresh install, but not sure about some of
> the advice..? I've read some e-books about "how to's" yet not much
> info on setting up the system for an everyday PC usage... I read an
> article about KDE 5.8.8 and some backports..? being available from the
> PPA..? Haven't installed it yet, PPA's leave me a bit weary. I've
> tried Synaptic Package Manager but removed it cuz I don't know what to
> look for..? No problems w/install, so this is NOT Tech Support... just
> asking for advice for a "good System"..!  Thanks in  advance,
>
> James...

Doug gave you some good advice. I also recommend Synaptic over the
standard KDE package management. I find that he KDE package management
can't find all that's available. Just type what your looking for into
the search box. Want graphics, type graphics. You don't need to know a
name. Just what you want.

What you do from this point depends on what you want to do with your
computer.

Me, I do genealogy and related web sites. Also some history . Towards
that end I use Bluefish as a web page editor. There's another helper
called Cssed to edit cascading style sheets. Unfortunately KDE/Kubuntu
doesn't support it but Debian does so I use it from there. I also find
KDE's FTP program to be somewhat less than what I want so I use Gftp
from the Gnome desktop. The whole point here is that you have all the
choices. You know what you want to use your computer for and you can
find and use whatever works best for you.

--
"The time has come," the Walrus said,
"To talk of many things:

_ _...  ..._ _
_._  ._  .....  ._..  ...  .._

Re: Transitioned from years of Windows O/S to Kubuntu

James L. Parmenter
Dear Responders;
                          Doug, Clay, Leroy, Billie: Thank you all so much for your replies...! =)  I have re-Installed Synaptic Package Manger-I'll have to learn how to use it..! I do very carefully watch the dates on postings of articles and whether they are related or apply to 16.04 dist. I also installed UcareSystem-core 4.3.0 that'll take of the maintenence giving me more time to investigate and learn new things. I like a challenge, and I was finding Win to be a very lax in able to troubleshoot problems and I didn't care for Win 10 at all. In all,  although I'm not real fond of Desktops full of little icon's, a few here and there w/no clutter is fine. My pc usage is geared to email, Internet Browsing, buying stuff on-line (since my town doesn't carry the items I want or need) they have to order it, it'll be in, in about 2 weeks..! Ha..! UPS-or USPS-2 to 3 days.! Sometimes, shipping is outrageous.! I do research on Survival, Prepping, Ammo, Photography, RV's, Outdoor and Tactical Gear, Health foods, Water purification, etc., for my own knowledge... nothing professional wise, just common knowledge. I also research Solar power and it's components, Off-Grid living, The Lost Ways, and related information. Being retired I like to keep busy doing something like hiking, camping, local travel, repairing the RV, keeping warm (it's 11 degrees F here) brrr.... NM Winters, chatting with my RV Park Neighbors, shopping, etc., nothing fancy..! Can't afford too much on SSA Retirement, no nest egg, it broke yrs ago....
     Again, thanks for all the info you've provided... it'll give me some new ideas and things to check out about Kubuntu 16.04.03 Dist. I just could not find a whole lot on the web it all related to Ubuntu, which I know that Kubuntu is another flavor of Ubuntu w/different options.
     *Billie: I did my Genealogy a long time ago, my ancestors came from France in the 1400's. They moved to England in the early 1500's and then on to New England in 1539. They settled in Sudbury, MA. a suburb of Boston and we spread out from there. As you may already know, the spelling and English wasn't too good in those days, I loved reading the last "Wills and Testamates" of the old farmers who left items to their Families and trying to cypher their mispelled words...! Very interesting reading..! We found or had 420 records in our Family Tree..! One of us was a horse theif, he got caught, the prisons here were full so they sent him to Australia via ship to serve his time there. He stayed there and raised a family. Other's were Rum Runners, Tavern/Inn keepers, tailors, glovers, and of course farmers. Some of the farmers had 18 to 20 children..! Some of the youngest died at early ages due to sickness/plagues, Yellow Fever was mentioned a lot as was other causes not known to new settlers in those times...just called a sickness/illness....!
James......

On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 10:36 PM, Billie Walsh <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Charles T. Bell

On 01/24/2018 06:55 PM, Doug wrote:

> On 01/24/2018 04:03 PM, James L. Parmenter wrote:
>> Hi All;
>>          I'm 68 yr old white male who's been using Windows since
>> Windows for Work Groups 3.1.1 I just installed Kubuntu 16.04.3 on my
>> Laptop. I've done in the terminal Konsole, sudo apt-get update and
>> sudo apt-get upgrade, Discover has updated 259 updates automatically.
>> I've re-booted twice since my install. I've searched the Internet for
>> things (guides) to do after fresh install, but not sure about some of
>> the advice..? I've read some e-books about "how to's" yet not much
>> info on setting up the system for an everyday PC usage... I read an
>> article about KDE 5.8.8 and some backports..? being available from the
>> PPA..? Haven't installed it yet, PPA's leave me a bit weary. I've
>> tried Synaptic Package Manager but removed it cuz I don't know what to
>> look for..? No problems w/install, so this is NOT Tech Support... just
>> asking for advice for a "good System"..!  Thanks in  advance,
>>
>> James...
>>

> Well, James, I think you have made a BIG mistake. Synaptic is a real
> useful app. It allows you to find and install a whole galaxy of programs
> (apps) that you will find useful while you explore and use
>
> your Linux system.  And KDE 5.x is quite similar to Windows in the way
> it works. If you like to put icons on screen to help you jump right into
> an application, you can do that, or if you don't, you can
>
> use the Application Menu in the lower left corner of the screen, where
> Windows has the Start icon.  (FYI: Linux users like to call the screen
> the "desktop"--maybe that's a Microsoft word, I don't know.
>
> The "tray" or "systray" (which is usually along the bottom edge of the
> screen in KDE) is usually called the "panel" in Linux.
>
> What to do after a fresh install, you seem to have done: you got all the
> updates. After that, what you do is find programs that let you do
> whatever you used to do with Windows. There are certainly
>
> Linux routines that copy the same kind of routines that you used in
> Windows--sometimes better! You'll find almost all of them in your
> Synaptic, once you have reinstalled it!  (Since you no longer have it,
>
> try sudo apt-get install synaptic--I hope that works.)
>
> --doug

I would recommend using apt-get:
apt-cache search <word> (Where <word> is the type of program you are
looking for, just eliminate the carets)
apt-cache show <program> (Where <program> is the program you wish to see
information about)
apt-get install <program> (To install <program>)
You can also use: man apt-get and man apt-cache for instructions
The use of "apt-get update" will update the local list.
The use of "apt-get dist-upgrade" will upgrade all the programs on the
system including the OS.
Otherwise, "apt-get upgrade" will upgrade only the programs.
Good luck!

Charles Bell
--
"There are lies, damned lies and alternative facts!"
-- me  (with apologies to Mark Twain)

cbell44.vcf (158 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: Transitioned from years of Windows O/S to Kubuntu

James L. Parmenter
Thank you Charles,
I will try those things out real soon..!    thanks... =)