Unable to install HP AiO Ink Advantage 3835 on Ubuntu 14.04

Unable to install HP AiO Ink Advantage 3835 on Ubuntu 14.04

Amichai Rotman
Hi All,

 I've installed Ubuntu on my friend laptop a few month ago. All went great and he was very happy with it.
Two days ago he went out and bought an AiO HP 3835 - without consulting me first.

I've been trying to make it work since then...

This is what I've done:

  1. I went to the Printers in the System Settings.
  2. I waited for the Printer to show up and clicked on it (connected via USB).
  3. I chose HP for the manufacturer.
  4. The printer's specific model is not on the list, only 3022 or 3040...
  5. I looked it up on the HPLIP page and it shows up as supported.
  • The printer shows up in 'lsusb'.
  • When I try to run 'hp-probe' or 'hp-setup' it immediately claims it cannot locate any device...
I am very frustrated. How can I obtain the specific models' PPD file?

Trying to search for the Linux driver on HP's Website refers me to HPLIP!

I am afraid to ask my friend to replace the printer, because he might blame Linux in general and ask to switch back to Windows(!)...

Please help!

Amichai.

Re: Unable to install HP AiO Ink Advantage 3835 on Ubuntu 14.04

Tommy Trussell

On Wed, Feb 3, 2016 at 10:59 AM, Amichai Rotman <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

What version of Ubuntu? The printer SHOULD be supported in the most recent versions, though I get a bit of a mixed message from this page:

It says the printer requires a minimum of HPLIP v3.15.7, HOWEVER at the bottom it lists just about all releases of Ubuntu, which cannot be strictly true. I can tell you my current "Trusty" 14.04LTS system includes HPLIP v3.15.7. They MUST mean it's COMPATIBLE with your system, not that it's supported without an additional download.

If you're sticking with Trusty, here are a few things you can try:

1) install the hplip-gui package and see if it shows the printer's options. It may not, but it's super easy to try it. If you search for hplip you will see there are a few other packages that aren't normally installed, so you can try some of them, too, but I wouldn't expect this to work.

2) Try a more recent version of Ubuntu using a live image, just to confirm the printer works. If it works with Ubuntu "Wily" 15.10 but you still want to stick with LTS releases, "Xenial" 16.04 LTS will be released in April. Theoretically the more recent HPLIP can be "backported" to 14.04, though it hasn't been backported (yet) via Ubuntu's official Backports process. (You might be able to backport it yourself with some effort.)

3) You could install HPLIP downloaded from HP, though that has downsides, as described here: http://askubuntu.com/questions/10082/which-is-the-best-way-to-install-new-hplip-versions

good luck!

Re: Unable to install HP AiO Ink Advantage 3835 on Ubuntu 14.04

Joseph Loo-2
On 02/03/2016 08:59 AM, Amichai Rotman wrote:

> Hi All,
>
>  I've installed Ubuntu on my friend laptop a few month ago. All went
> great and he was very happy with it.
> Two days ago he went out and bought an AiO HP 3835 - without consulting
> me first.
>
> I've been trying to make it work since then...
>
> This is what I've done:
>
>  1. I went to the Printers in the System Settings.
>  2. I waited for the Printer to show up and clicked on it (connected via
>     USB).
>  3. I chose HP for the manufacturer.
>  4. The printer's specific model is not on the list, only 3022 or 3040...
>  5. I looked it up on the HPLIP page and it shows up as supported.
>
>   * The printer shows up in 'lsusb'.
>   * When I try to run 'hp-probe' or 'hp-setup' it immediately claims it
>     cannot locate any device...
>
> I am very frustrated. How can I obtain the specific models' PPD file?
>
> Trying to search for the Linux driver on HP's Website refers me to HPLIP!
>
> I am afraid to ask my friend to replace the printer, because he might
> blame Linux in general and ask to switch back to Windows(!)...
>
> Please help!
>
> Amichai.

Generally HPLIP is one of your packages you have to install from the
Ubuntu repository.

--
Joseph Loo

Re: Unable to install HP AiO Ink Advantage 3835 on Ubuntu 14.04

Liam Proven
On 3 February 2016 at 17:59, Amichai Rotman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
>  I've installed Ubuntu on my friend laptop a few month ago. All went great
> and he was very happy with it.
> Two days ago he went out and bought an AiO HP 3835 - without consulting me
> first.
>
> I've been trying to make it work since then...
>
> This is what I've done:
>
> I went to the Printers in the System Settings.
> I waited for the Printer to show up and clicked on it (connected via USB).
> I chose HP for the manufacturer.
> The printer's specific model is not on the list, only 3022 or 3040...
> I looked it up on the HPLIP page and it shows up as supported.
>
> The printer shows up in 'lsusb'.
> When I try to run 'hp-probe' or 'hp-setup' it immediately claims it cannot
> locate any device...
>
> I am very frustrated. How can I obtain the specific models' PPD file?
>
> Trying to search for the Linux driver on HP's Website refers me to HPLIP!
>
> I am afraid to ask my friend to replace the printer, because he might blame
> Linux in general and ask to switch back to Windows(!)...
>
> Please help!

[1] What version of Ubuntu?

[2] Is it up to date?

[3] Have you tried installing the *LATEST* HP drivers from HP?

http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/index.html

Email: [hidden email] • GMail/G+/Twitter/Flickr/Facebook: lproven
MSN: [hidden email] • Skype/AIM/Yahoo/LinkedIn: liamproven

Re: Unable to install HP AiO Ink Advantage 3835 on Ubuntu 14.04

Jatin khatri
On Thursday 04 February 2016 06:12 PM, Liam Proven wrote:
[...]

or may be this[1]

[1] http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01174360

--

*/

Jatin Khatri

RHCSA RHCE CCNA

www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Jatin

Save Paper, Save Environment.**
(Plant at least one tree in your life and nurture it !!!)