Updated to 18.04, lost Unity

Liam Proven
I am not feeling any Unity at all at the moment.

I gave in to the repeated nagging and tried to upgrade to 18.04. The
GUI updater wouldn't run so I did it from a vconsole.

It didn't work -- there was a systemd file that could not be
overwritten. It finished way too fast & left me with 18.04 on the
terminal screen and 16.04 on the GUI login screen. I could not log on.

So, I ran ``apt install -f''

This reported the systemd file. I moved it to a new subdirectory.
``apt install -f'' now completed successfully. It took about 10min to
install all the other held packages.

After that, ``apt full-upgrade -y'' completed successfully and
installed another 1000+ packages.

Then I could reboot and log in again.

But I only have GNOME 3.

I have a choice of sessions: GNOME on Xorg, GNOME, Ubuntu on Xorg,
Ubuntu on Wayland. All work, all give me a plain untweaked GNOME 3
desktop. No Ubuntu panel or anything.

I've customised this by hand, as described here some time back:

https://liam-on-linux.livejournal.com/57630.html

Dash-to-dock etc.

It's still GNOME 3 and I still don't like it much but it works. Kinda.

But I was hoping for Unity to still be there and available...

Any way to bring it back?

Re: Updated to 18.04, lost Unity

Liam Proven
On Sun, 13 Jan 2019 at 17:01, Liam Proven <[hidden email]> wrote:

> But I was hoping for Unity to still be there and available...
>
> Any way to bring it back?

Stupid rookie error. Sorry. I thought it still was because there were
some packages and a command, and I thought the upgrade was meant to
leave it, but I Googled, found it's a thing and how to reinstall it,
and apart from also getting fonts for a bunch of Asian languages I
don't need, it's back and working.

Now, should I try to remove GNOME-shell and its apps?