VPS that will run xBSD

Frank Leonhardt (m)
There are a load of cheap VPS services out there; so cheap I decided to
give one a go to run a backup NS.

Then when I looked closer they all offer Windoze or some Linux or other.

Does anyone know of a VPS provider that can do any OS I like? Or do I
need to create my own VPS provider :-)

Note that I'm looking for cheap to begin with - bare minimum; enough to
run BIND. e.g. OVH charge £2.50/month for minimum spec if you like their
choice of Linux (I don't).

Thanks, Frank.

Re: VPS that will run xBSD

Frank Leonhardt (m)
On 24/08/2017 11:05, Tom Browder wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 24, 2017 at 04:42 Frank Leonhardt <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     There are a load of cheap VPS services out there; so cheap I
>     decided to
>     give one a go to run a backup NS.
>

> Try vultr.com <http://vultr.com> or digitalocean.com
> <http://digitalocean.com>.

Thanks! just what I was looking for (I think).

Re: VPS that will run xBSD

Matthias Gamsjager
transip.nl

On 24 August 2017 at 12:19, Frank Leonhardt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 24/08/2017 11:05, Tom Browder wrote:
>

>> On Thu, Aug 24, 2017 at 04:42 Frank Leonhardt <[hidden email] <mailto:
>> [hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>>     There are a load of cheap VPS services out there; so cheap I
>>     decided to
>>     give one a go to run a backup NS.
>>

>> Try vultr.com <http://vultr.com> or digitalocean.com <
>> http://digitalocean.com>.
>>

> Thanks! just what I was looking for (I think).

Re: VPS that will run xBSD

Edgar Pettijohn III-2

 I use vultr. They offer freebsd as an auto install. Don't do it. Mount the iso and run through the installation yourself.

> On Aug 24, 2017 at 4:32 AM,  <Frank Leonhardt>  wrote:
>

>  There are a load of cheap VPS services out there; so cheap I decided to give one a go to run a backup NS. Then when I looked closer they all offer Windoze or some Linux or other. Does anyone know of a VPS provider that can do any OS I like? Or do I need to create my own VPS provider :-) Note that I'm looking for cheap to begin with - bare minimum; enough to run BIND. e.g. OVH charge £2.50/month for minimum spec if you like their choice of Linux (I don't). Thanks, Frank. _______________________________________________ [hidden email] mailing list https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-questions To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"

Re: VPS that will run xBSD

Kristof Provost-2
On 24 Aug 2017, at 11:32, Frank Leonhardt wrote:
> There are a load of cheap VPS services out there; so cheap I decided
> to give one a go to run a backup NS.
>
> Then when I looked closer they all offer Windoze or some Linux or
> other.
>
> Does anyone know of a VPS provider that can do any OS I like? Or do I
> need to create my own VPS provider :-)

RootBSD (https://www.rootbsd.net) are nice people.
I use Gandi (https://www.gandi.net/) myself.

Regards,
Kristof

Re: VPS that will run xBSD

Valeri Galtsev

On Thu, August 24, 2017 8:33 am, Kristof Provost wrote:

> On 24 Aug 2017, at 11:32, Frank Leonhardt wrote:
>> There are a load of cheap VPS services out there; so cheap I decided
>> to give one a go to run a backup NS.
>>
>> Then when I looked closer they all offer Windoze or some Linux or
>> other.
>>
>> Does anyone know of a VPS provider that can do any OS I like? Or do I
>> need to create my own VPS provider :-)
>>
> RootBSD (https://www.rootbsd.net) are nice people.
> I use Gandi (https://www.gandi.net/) myself.

I had one user in the departmen who had hos private server at gandi.net,
and that as mail server was misconfigured (fell under several definitions
in http://rfcignorant.net/). I don't know whose fault was that, the user
or that of provider. If you are going to use gandi.net, check what DNS
settings will be for your mail server, so you will not end up as my user.

I hope, this helps.

Valeri

> Regards,
> Kristof
> "[hidden email]"

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator
University of Chicago
Phone: 773-702-4247

Re: VPS that will run xBSD

Shane Ambler
On 24/08/2017 23:03, Kristof Provost wrote:

> On 24 Aug 2017, at 11:32, Frank Leonhardt wrote:
>> There are a load of cheap VPS services out there; so cheap I decided
>> to give one a go to run a backup NS.
>>
>> Then when I looked closer they all offer Windoze or some Linux or other.
>>
>> Does anyone know of a VPS provider that can do any OS I like? Or do I
>> need to create my own VPS provider :-)
>>
> RootBSD (https://www.rootbsd.net) are nice people.
> I use Gandi (https://www.gandi.net/) myself.

If you look at the release notes you will find info on pre-installed
images for aws and google compute.

While aws may not be what you call a "cheap" provider it can have lower
prices, a t2.nano on demand will cost 4.39 a month, but it can get as
low as 1.92 a month if you pay upfront to reserve it for 3 years - thats
69 for 3 years. So you may pay a few bucks more to test it out but for a
final setup it can be cheaper.

--
FreeBSD - the place to B...Software Developing

Shane Ambler

Re: VPS that will run xBSD

Frank Leonhardt (m)
On 25/08/2017 03:16, Shane Ambler wrote:

> On 24/08/2017 23:03, Kristof Provost wrote:
>> On 24 Aug 2017, at 11:32, Frank Leonhardt wrote:
>>> There are a load of cheap VPS services out there; so cheap I decided
>>> to give one a go to run a backup NS.
>>>
>>> Then when I looked closer they all offer Windoze or some Linux or
>>> other.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know of a VPS provider that can do any OS I like? Or do
>>> I need to create my own VPS provider :-)
>>>
>> RootBSD (https://www.rootbsd.net) are nice people.
>> I use Gandi (https://www.gandi.net/) myself.
>
> If you look at the release notes you will find info on pre-installed
> images for aws and google compute.
>
> While aws may not be what you call a "cheap" provider it can have lower
> prices, a t2.nano on demand will cost 4.39 a month, but it can get as
> low as 1.92 a month if you pay upfront to reserve it for 3 years - thats
> 69 for 3 years. So you may pay a few bucks more to test it out but for a
> final setup it can be cheaper.

Hi Shane,

Thanks, but the whole problem is that they're "pre-installed". I can't
run STABLE or any other version Amazon hasn't set up, never mind custom
kernels. Actually, I've no idea what would happen if you took one and
recompiled the kernel from new source but I don't really have the time
to find out - nothing good I suspect.

Regards, Frank.

Re: VPS that will run xBSD

Tim Daneliuk
On 08/30/2017 04:19 PM, Frank Leonhardt wrote:
> Thanks, but the whole problem is that they're "pre-installed". I can't
> run STABLE or any other version Amazon hasn't set up, never mind custom
> kernels. Actually, I've no idea what would happen if you took one and
> recompiled the kernel from new source but I don't really have the time
> to find out - nothing good I suspect.

I run FreeBSD regularly on Digital Ocean droplets.  I initially
installed their image just to get going.

I have a nightly cron job that does a source tree update and recompile
of the entire system and several kernels.  I can then update when- and
as I wish.  At the moment, the server that is up is running shows this:

myserver:/usr/src>svn info
Relative URL: ^/stable/10
Repository Root: svn://svn.freebsd.org/base
Repository UUID: ccf9f872-aa2e-dd11-9fc8-001c23d0bc1f
Revision: 323012
Node Kind: directory
Schedule: normal
Last Changed Author: davidcs
Last Changed Rev: 322975
Last Changed Date: 2017-08-28 14:17:28 -0500 (Mon, 28 Aug 2017)

tl;dr It works just fine....

P.S.  I run it nightly because recompiling world and kernel is on a VPS
is sloooooow.  What takes 30 mins on a quad core i5 takes over 5 hours
on the droplet.  Who cares?  I'm asleep :)  Then again, a big (more
expensive) droplet would likely do it much faster.

Re: VPS that will run xBSD

Rafal Lukawiecki
While I am not a FreeBSD expert, I have built a good few AWS AMIs (Amazon Machine Images) for various Linuxes I have used over the years. The process generally requires you to use an existing available machine (say FreeBSD RELEASE) to build what you need first. You should use a pricier and a much faster machine for that, but you can change the underlying hardware just for this purpose, switching down to a cheaper one later.

In the process, you create an AWS ESB volume that contains your desired new OS (say STABLE in your case). You snapshot that, which is an easy AWS operation, and you register that snapshot as a new AMI that you can now use to launch any number of new machines with your desired kernel and config.

Bear in mind this is an oversimplification of the process, as you have to pay attention to the needs of the hypervisor and the provided hardware. However, all of this has been done for us by Colin Percival. Have a look at his article in which he explained how to build your own FreeBSD AWS AMIs:

        http://www.daemonology.net/blog/2015-11-21-FreeBSD-AMI-builder-AMI.html

If you do not need an AMI, that is you only want to update the very machine on which you are working, you can simply change to a new kernel and reboot. Caveat: I have not tried that with FreeBSD (yet) only CentOS.

Rafal
--
Rafal Lukawiecki
Data Scientist and Director

> On 30 Aug 2017, at 22:19, Frank Leonhardt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 25/08/2017 03:16, Shane Ambler wrote:

>>> RootBSD (https://www.rootbsd.net) are nice people.
>>> I use Gandi (https://www.gandi.net/) myself.
>>
>> If you look at the release notes you will find info on pre-installed
>> images for aws and google compute.
>>
>> While aws may not be what you call a "cheap" provider it can have lower
>> prices, a t2.nano on demand will cost 4.39 a month, but it can get as
>> low as 1.92 a month if you pay upfront to reserve it for 3 years - thats
>> 69 for 3 years. So you may pay a few bucks more to test it out but for a
>> final setup it can be cheaper.
>>
> Hi Shane,
>
> Thanks, but the whole problem is that they're "pre-installed". I can't run STABLE or any other version Amazon hasn't set up, never mind custom kernels. Actually, I've no idea what would happen if you took one and recompiled the kernel from new source but I don't really have the time to find out - nothing good I suspect.
>
> Regards, Frank.

Re: VPS that will run xBSD

Frank Leonhardt (m)
On 30/08/2017 22:39, Rafal Lukawiecki wrote:

> While I am not a FreeBSD expert, I have built a good few AWS AMIs (Amazon Machine Images) for various Linuxes I have used over the years. The process generally requires you to use an existing available machine (say FreeBSD RELEASE) to build what you need first. You should use a pricier and a much faster machine for that, but you can change the underlying hardware just for this purpose, switching down to a cheaper one later.
>
> In the process, you create an AWS ESB volume that contains your desired new OS (say STABLE in your case). You snapshot that, which is an easy AWS operation, and you register that snapshot as a new AMI that you can now use to launch any number of new machines with your desired kernel and config.
>
> Bear in mind this is an oversimplification of the process, as you have to pay attention to the needs of the hypervisor and the provided hardware. However, all of this has been done for us by Colin Percival. Have a look at his article in which he explained how to build your own FreeBSD AWS AMIs:
>
> http://www.daemonology.net/blog/2015-11-21-FreeBSD-AMI-builder-AMI.html
>
> If you do not need an AMI, that is you only want to update the very machine on which you are working, you can simply change to a new kernel and reboot. Caveat: I have not tried that with FreeBSD (yet) only CentOS.
>
> Rafal
> --
> Rafal Lukawiecki
> Data Scientist and Director
> Project Botticelli Ltd

Thanks - interesting to know. This is really just-for-fun so I might
well give this a try.

Re: VPS that will run xBSD

Rafal Lukawiecki
If you find sysadmining fun, go for it, but AWS is a bit of a learning curve. Very enjoyable, but a change in the mindset: no consoles, declarative configs etc… Powerful if you need a fleet of a servers (a few or thousands), or if you use some other cloud services, like content distribution networks or geo-aware DNS. AWS can be way too much learning for just a single server, even if it is very cheap, or free with the 12 month free tier, also offered on Azure.

Other cloud providers can be more accessible, but, in my opinion, after 6 years with AWS and Azure, hardly anyone other than those two come with so many ready-made services, many of those critically important for my business. FYI, years ago we run on RackSpace for a couple of years, and Linode, for a much shorter time, having also tried some no-longer in business server colocators. All of those were much closer to the “my machine in the server room next door” feeling but nowhere near the breadth, or the low prices we get with AWS and Azure.

Good luck, and do consider contacting Colin if you have questions, he has been very helpful to me and know much about FreeBSD on AWS—and I am saying this only a few days into our trial benchmark of FreeBSD in AWS against CentOS and Amazon Linux. There is a [hidden email] mail list, but it is still a bit quiet there.

Rafal