WTF is this nonsense from bash -x ?

Tom Horsley
I'll often run a little file full of shell commands and want to
see the command followed by the output so I'll run it
like so:

bash -x ./files.txt > symbols.txt

Before fedora 28, that would result in symbols.txt showing
the commands in files.txt with a '+' in front of them
followed by the output from the command.

In fedora 28, I'm now getting 93 lines of absolute gibberish
showing up before the first command which looks like this
nonsense:

+ unset _mlre _mlIFS _mlshdbg
+ '[' 0 = 1 ']'
+ export MODULES_RUN_QUARANTINE=LD_LIBRARY_PATH
+ MODULES_RUN_QUARANTINE=LD_LIBRARY_PATH
+ PATH=/usr/share/Modules/bin:.:/userland/tom/scripts:/userland/tom/profile/progs/bin/amd64-lx:/userland/tom/profile/progs/bin/i86-lx:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local
+ export PATH
++ manpath
+ manpath=/usr/share/man:/usr/local/man:/usr/local/share/man:/usr/man
+ [[ ! :/usr/share/man:/usr/local/man:/usr/local/share/man:/usr/man: =~ :/usr/share/man: ]]
+ '[' -n '' ']'

What the heck is this nonsense?

Re: WTF is this nonsense from bash -x ?

Matthew Miller-2
On Tue, May 15, 2018 at 11:15:08AM -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:
> In fedora 28, I'm now getting 93 lines of absolute gibberish
> showing up before the first command which looks like this
> nonsense:

So, this is pretty clearly not "gibberish" or "nonsense" -- it's
obviously shell statements setting, unsetting, and exporting variables.

> + export MODULES_RUN_QUARANTINE=LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> + MODULES_RUN_QUARANTINE=LD_LIBRARY_PATH

... and it looks to be part of the Environment Modules package (not to
be confused with Modularity in Fedora -- naming things is hard).

> What the heck is this nonsense?

Probably you have installed, and perhaps enabled, the
environment-modules package.

--
Matthew Miller
<[hidden email]>

Re: WTF is this nonsense from bash -x ?

Tom Horsley
On Tue, 15 May 2018 11:24:28 -0400
Matthew Miller wrote:

> Probably you have installed, and perhaps enabled, the
> environment-modules package.

Not me, anaconda did it :-). I've now erased it and
things are back to normal. Thanks. (I read the description
of this in rpm -i, and I still have no idea what it is
good for).

On Tue, May 15, 2018 at 11:43:59AM -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:
> Not me, anaconda did it :-). I've now erased it and
> things are back to normal. Thanks. (I read the description
> of this in rpm -i, and I still have no idea what it is
> good for).

It is very commonly used in high performance computing and other
academic/research environments in combination with software installed
in a shared NFS tree (or AFS, although probably not so much anymore).

I'm not sure what exactly pulled it in for you -- possibly a new soft
dependency of some package you have installed.

--
Matthew Miller
<[hidden email]>

Re: WTF is this nonsense from bash -x ?

Todd Zullinger
Matthew Miller wrote:

> On Tue, May 15, 2018 at 11:43:59AM -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:
>> Not me, anaconda did it :-). I've now erased it and
>> things are back to normal. Thanks. (I read the description
>> of this in rpm -i, and I still have no idea what it is
>> good for).
>
> It is very commonly used in high performance computing and other
> academic/research environments in combination with software installed
> in a shared NFS tree (or AFS, although probably not so much anymore).
>
> I'm not sure what exactly pulled it in for you -- possibly a new soft
> dependency of some package you have installed.
On my system it's been installed for many releases.  The
difference between f27 and f28 is that environment-modules
was updated from 3.2 to 4.1.  The newer release includes
this very noisy output.  There is a way to disable most of
it, by setting MODULES_SILENT_SHELL_DEBUG=1.

https://github.com/cea-hpc/modules/issues/121 was filed
regarding the xtrace output (initially at SourceForge before
the project moved, it appears).

It's easier to remove it though, for anyone that doesn't
need it.  That's what I'll be doing.  It is a rather ugly
effect.  Arguably, the default should be silent.  I can't
imagine how many users would want it enabled just because
they ran a script with -x for testing.

It looks like scl-utils requires it.  If environment-modules
is updated to 4.1 in the next RHEL, that will be a fun
surprise for many of those users -- who are far more likely
to have scl-utils installed, I imagine.

--
Todd

Re: WTF is this nonsense from bash -x ?

Tom Horsley
On Tue, 15 May 2018 11:58:56 -0400
Matthew Miller wrote:

> I'm not sure what exactly pulled it in for you -- possibly a new soft
> dependency of some package you have installed.

It was listed as coming from the @anaconda repo when I removed
it, so it is apparently installed by default on the workstation
live image. I see it was installed on my old fedora 27 boot
partition as well, but it didn't have the bizarre side effects
back in fedora 27, so I never noticed it. The only thing that
depended on it was scl-utils, which I also don't need for anything,
so they are both gone now.

Re: WTF is this nonsense from bash -x ?

Wolfgang Pfeiffer
On Tue, May 15, 2018 at 11:24:28AM -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:

> Probably you have installed, and perhaps enabled, the
> environment-modules package.

I have that package installed on F27. And it's anything but clear
whether it's enabled or not ...

Is it safe to say it's not enabled if these two path variables return
zero? :

$HOME/.modulesbeginenv
$MODULESBEGINENV

(from 'man module')

Thanks in anticipation

Wolfgang

I wrote:
> It looks like scl-utils requires it.  If environment-modules
> is updated to 4.1 in the next RHEL, that will be a fun
> surprise for many of those users -- who are far more likely
> to have scl-utils installed, I imagine.

Talking with Matthew, I filed a ticket about this issue:
    https://bugzilla.redhat.com/1578587

(It's either fitting or ironic that it's a very verbose bug
entry about a tool being too verbose. ;)

Looking closer, environment-modules is pulled in because
scl-utils is part of the workstation-product group (and as
been since at least f21).

I think the change in environment-modules is undesirable,
but I'm not sure what the best solution may be.  While it
might be an option to drop scl-utils from the workstation
group on Fedora, that doesn't solve the problem so much as
hides it.

Ideally the debugging should be disabled by default upstream
and done in a way that doesn't clutter the output even as
much as when MODULES_SILENT_SHELL_DEBUG=1 is set.

--
Todd