Wayland and Soiftware Updater

Bret Busby-2
Hello.

In preparing one computer for updating, then running the Software
Updater, 182MB of packages are to be downloaded.

In looking through the packages descriptions (which it lists, rather
than the package names), I found
""Implementation of the Wayland EGL platform - runtime"

From memory, Wayland is a nasty that wrecks p[eople's systems.

As it is shown there, and I had "updated" this system, in the last day
or so, I did a search in Synaptic (very useful software, is Synaptic)
for Wayland, and, found this system has that (the runtime) package for
Wayland, and, varuipous other Wayland packages, installed.

From what I understand, Wayland serves no useful purpose, and only
exists to damage people's systems.

Is this Wayland thing, really necessary, and, as the Software updater
appears to indiscriminately add new software, rather than simply
updating existing software, can we please have a software updater,
that only updates existing software, with wanted (and, only what is
wanted, rather than bloating) software being able to be installed via
another application, like Synaptic or the Ubuntu Software Center?

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
 Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
 "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
 A Trilogy In Four Parts",
 written by Douglas Adams,
 published by Pan Books, 1992

Re: Wayland and Soiftware Updater

Bret Busby-2
On 16/02/2018, Bret Busby <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> In preparing one computer for updating, then running the Software
> Updater, 182MB of packages are to be downloaded.
>
> In looking through the packages descriptions (which it lists, rather
> than the package names), I found
> ""Implementation of the Wayland EGL platform - runtime"
>
> From memory, Wayland is a nasty that wrecks p[eople's systems.
>
> As it is shown there, and I had "updated" this system, in the last day
> or so, I did a search in Synaptic (very useful software, is Synaptic)
> for Wayland, and, found this system has that (the runtime) package for
> Wayland, and, varuipous other Wayland packages, installed.
>
> From what I understand, Wayland serves no useful purpose, and only
> exists to damage people's systems.
>
> Is this Wayland thing, really necessary, and, as the Software updater
> appears to indiscriminately add new software, rather than simply
> updating existing software, can we please have a software updater,
> that only updates existing software, with wanted (and, only what is
> wanted, rather than bloating) software being able to be installed via
> another application, like Synaptic or the Ubuntu Software Center?

Oh, I forgot to mention - I am running UbuntuMATE 16.04  .

--

Bret Busby
Armadale
West Australia

 you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
 Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
 "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
 A Trilogy In Four Parts",
 written by Douglas Adams,
 published by Pan Books, 1992

Re: Wayland and Soiftware Updater

Colin Watson
On Fri, Feb 16, 2018 at 03:45:43AM +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
> In looking through the packages descriptions (which it lists, rather
> than the package names), I found
> ""Implementation of the Wayland EGL platform - runtime"

That's libwayland-egl1-mesa, which provides support for clients that run
on Wayland, but doesn't cause your system to run Wayland.  It won't
affect your system if you aren't running Wayland.

> From what I understand, Wayland serves no useful purpose, and only
> exists to damage people's systems.

It's clear that you don't like it, but there's no need to ascribe
malicious intent to its authors.  The code of conduct says that we
strive to "assume good intentions".

> Is this Wayland thing, really necessary, and, as the Software updater
> appears to indiscriminately add new software, rather than simply
> updating existing software, can we please have a software updater,
> that only updates existing software, with wanted (and, only what is
> wanted, rather than bloating) software being able to be installed via
> another application, like Synaptic or the Ubuntu Software Center?

Since (for example) libgtk-3-0 depends on libwayland-egl1-mesa in 16.04,
it is hardly the software updater's fault.  I strongly advise against
attempting to remove it, because that will either remove packages you
actually do need or break your system's dependency database; in either
case you will do more damage than you would have done if you'd just left
well alone.

On 16/02/2018, Colin Watson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 16, 2018 at 03:45:43AM +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
>> In looking through the packages descriptions (which it lists, rather
>> than the package names), I found
>> ""Implementation of the Wayland EGL platform - runtime"
>
> That's libwayland-egl1-mesa, which provides support for clients that run
> on Wayland, but doesn't cause your system to run Wayland.  It won't
> affect your system if you aren't running Wayland.
>
>> From what I understand, Wayland serves no useful purpose, and only
>> exists to damage people's systems.
>
> It's clear that you don't like it, but there's no need to ascribe
> malicious intent to its authors.  The code of conduct says that we
> strive to "assume good intentions".
>
>> Is this Wayland thing, really necessary, and, as the Software updater
>> appears to indiscriminately add new software, rather than simply
>> updating existing software, can we please have a software updater,
>> that only updates existing software, with wanted (and, only what is
>> wanted, rather than bloating) software being able to be installed via
>> another application, like Synaptic or the Ubuntu Software Center?
>
> Since (for example) libgtk-3-0 depends on libwayland-egl1-mesa in 16.04,
> it is hardly the software updater's fault.  I strongly advise against
> attempting to remove it, because that will either remove packages you
> actually do need or break your system's dependency database; in either
> case you will do more damage than you would have done if you'd just left
> well alone.
>
> --
> Colin Watson                                       [[hidden email]]

Okay.

Thank you for your explanation.