Weird systemd resolv.conf behavior

Adam Funk
Hi,

I've been having a strange problem with the systemd resolver on my
work laptop.  Basically, whenever I use it at the office, a "search"
line with the work domain is added to this file

/etc/resolv.conf -> ../run/resolvconf/resolv.conf

and it stays there after I suspend the laptop, carry it home, & wake
it up to use the wired or wifi home network.  The effect is that it's
impossible to resolve work hostnames.  Things I have tried (in various
combinations and sequences):

sudo service network-manager restart
sudo service systemd-resolved-update-resolvconf restart
sudo service systemd-resolved-update restart

The only thing that works is (yes, I know I shouldn't have to do
this!)

sudoedit /run/resolvconf/resolv.conf

to remove the offending line.  If I reboot, it comes up OK too.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Adam

Re: Weird systemd resolv.conf behavior

Tom H
On Wed, Mar 28, 2018 at 5:30 AM, Adam Funk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've been having a strange problem with the systemd resolver on my
> work laptop. Basically, whenever I use it at the office, a "search"
> line with the work domain is added to this file
>
> /etc/resolv.conf -> ../run/resolvconf/resolv.conf
>
> and it stays there after I suspend the laptop, carry it home, & wake
> it up to use the wired or wifi home network. The effect is that it's
> impossible to resolve work hostnames. Things I have tried (in various
> combinations and sequences):
>
> sudo service network-manager restart
> sudo service systemd-resolved-update-resolvconf restart
> sudo service systemd-resolved-update restart

"resolv.conf" is managed by resolvconf on your system and not by systemd-resolve

What does "/run/systemd/network/resolv.conf" look like at home and at
work, with and without the restarts (does
"systemd-resolved-update.service" exist?)?

On 2018-03-28, Tom H wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 28, 2018 at 5:30 AM, Adam Funk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I've been having a strange problem with the systemd resolver on my
>> work laptop. Basically, whenever I use it at the office, a "search"
>> line with the work domain is added to this file
>>
>> /etc/resolv.conf -> ../run/resolvconf/resolv.conf
>>
>> and it stays there after I suspend the laptop, carry it home, & wake
>> it up to use the wired or wifi home network. The effect is that it's
>> impossible to resolve work hostnames. Things I have tried (in various
>> combinations and sequences):
>>
>> sudo service network-manager restart
>> sudo service systemd-resolved-update-resolvconf restart
>> sudo service systemd-resolved-update restart

The last one was a mistake for "sudo service systemd-resolved
restart"!

> "resolv.conf" is managed by resolvconf on your system and not by systemd-resolve
>
> What does "/run/systemd/network/resolv.conf" look like at home and at
> work, with and without the restarts (does

AFAICT, using it at work only adds the "search" line, which doesn't go
away after the restarts.  I'll check again tomorrow.