Windows Dual Boot

Richard Kimberly Heck

For reasons connected with LyX development, I need to install Windows 10 on one of my machines. It is already running Fedora 27, and my intention is to install Windows 10 on a separate SSD. I've not done this in a long time, and, as I recall, in the past, it was by far best to install Windows first. (That's what Google thinks, too.) But it's too late for that, and I'd really rather not have to re-install Fedora.

I take it the main issue here is getting GRUB back up and running. Can somone give me hints how to do that?

Thanks for any help,
Riki

Re: Windows Dual Boot

Samuel Sieb
On 04/11/2018 09:13 AM, Richard Kimberly Heck wrote:
> For reasons connected with LyX development, I need to install Windows 10
> on one of my machines. It is already running Fedora 27, and my intention
> is to install Windows 10 on a separate SSD. I've not done this in a long
> time, and, as I recall, in the past, it was by far best to install
> Windows first. (That's what Google thinks, too.) But it's too late for
> that, and I'd really rather not have to re-install Fedora.
>
> I take it the main issue here is getting GRUB back up and running. Can
> somone give me hints how to do that?

If it's an EFI system, then you should be ok.  You might have to fix the
boot order after, but that should be all.

If it's not EFI, then make sure you have a live boot available to fix
grub after.  I find the best option is to use the netinst image and boot
the rescue mode.  It will automatically mount the installed system for
you.  You just need to chroot and do grub2-install.

On second thought, if it's not an EFI system, the best method might be
to remove your Fedora drive, then install Windows on the only disk.
Then when you boot Fedora again, if you run grub mkconfig it will pick
up the Windows boot and add it to the grub menu.

Re: Windows Dual Boot

Patrick O'Callaghan
On Wed, 2018-04-11 at 12:13 -0400, Richard Kimberly Heck wrote:
> For reasons connected with LyX development, I need to install Windows 10
> on one of my machines. It is already running Fedora 27, and my intention
> is to install Windows 10 on a separate SSD. I've not done this in a long
> time, and, as I recall, in the past, it was by far best to install
> Windows first. (That's what Google thinks, too.) But it's too late for
> that, and I'd really rather not have to re-install Fedora.
>
> I take it the main issue here is getting GRUB back up and running. Can
> somone give me hints how to do that?

Rather than dual-booting, is there some reason you can't do this with a
VM? Looks like it would be a lot simpler.

poc

Re: Windows Dual Boot

Samuel Sieb

> On Wed, 2018-04-11 at 12:13 -0400, Richard Kimberly Heck wrote:
>> For reasons connected with LyX development, I need to install Windows 10
>> on one of my machines. It is already running Fedora 27, and my intention
>> is to install Windows 10 on a separate SSD. I've not done this in a long
>> time, and, as I recall, in the past, it was by far best to install
>> Windows first. (That's what Google thinks, too.) But it's too late for
>> that, and I'd really rather not have to re-install Fedora.
>>
>> I take it the main issue here is getting GRUB back up and running. Can
>> somone give me hints how to do that?
>
> Rather than dual-booting, is there some reason you can't do this with a
> VM? Looks like it would be a lot simpler.

You could even assign that separate SSD to the VM.  Then Windows will
have the whole disk and won't be able to touch the other hard drive.
qemu-kvm has EFI support as well which Windows may want.

Re: Windows Dual Boot

Ed Greshko
On 04/12/18 00:13, Richard Kimberly Heck wrote:

> For reasons connected with LyX development, I need to install Windows 10 on one of
> my machines. It is already running Fedora 27, and my intention is to install
> Windows 10 on a separate SSD. I've not done this in a long time, and, as I recall,
> in the past, it was by far best to install Windows first. (That's what Google
> thinks, too.) But it's too late for that, and I'd really rather not have to
> re-install Fedora.
>
> I take it the main issue here is getting GRUB back up and running. Can somone give
> me hints how to do that?

If at all possible I would take the VM route.

Second to that, if I were going to be putting it on a separate SSD I would just
change the boot order in the BIOS and just boot from whatever drive I'd be using.

--
Conjecture is just a conclusion based on incomplete information. It isn't a fact.

Re: Windows Dual Boot

Patrick O'Callaghan
On Wed, 2018-04-11 at 11:51 -0700, Samuel Sieb wrote:

> On 04/11/2018 11:09 AM, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > On Wed, 2018-04-11 at 12:13 -0400, Richard Kimberly Heck wrote:
> > > For reasons connected with LyX development, I need to install Windows 10
> > > on one of my machines. It is already running Fedora 27, and my intention
> > > is to install Windows 10 on a separate SSD. I've not done this in a long
> > > time, and, as I recall, in the past, it was by far best to install
> > > Windows first. (That's what Google thinks, too.) But it's too late for
> > > that, and I'd really rather not have to re-install Fedora.
> > >
> > > I take it the main issue here is getting GRUB back up and running. Can
> > > somone give me hints how to do that?
> >
> > Rather than dual-booting, is there some reason you can't do this with a
> > VM? Looks like it would be a lot simpler.
>
> You could even assign that separate SSD to the VM.  Then Windows will
> have the whole disk and won't be able to touch the other hard drive.
> qemu-kvm has EFI support as well which Windows may want.

Yes, I do this using an old rotating-rust drive (not using EFI but
that's a detail) because I wanted a raw disk for performance reasons
with my KVM Windows 10 installation (I use it for gaming with GPU
passthrough but that's for extra credit :-). Works like a dream.

poc

Re: Windows Dual Boot

Patrick O'Callaghan
On Thu, 2018-04-12 at 05:27 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:

> On 04/12/18 00:13, Richard Kimberly Heck wrote:
> >
> > For reasons connected with LyX development, I need to install Windows 10 on one of
> > my machines. It is already running Fedora 27, and my intention is to install
> > Windows 10 on a separate SSD. I've not done this in a long time, and, as I recall,
> > in the past, it was by far best to install Windows first. (That's what Google
> > thinks, too.) But it's too late for that, and I'd really rather not have to
> > re-install Fedora.
> >
> > I take it the main issue here is getting GRUB back up and running. Can somone give
> > me hints how to do that?
> >

> If at all possible I would take the VM route.
>
> Second to that, if I were going to be putting it on a separate SSD I would just
> change the boot order in the BIOS and just boot from whatever drive I'd be using.

Yep, that too, but in practice I see almost no performance advantage
for my workload.

poc

Re: Windows Dual Boot

Ed Greshko
On 04/12/18 05:58, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

> On Thu, 2018-04-12 at 05:27 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
>> On 04/12/18 00:13, Richard Kimberly Heck wrote:
>>> For reasons connected with LyX development, I need to install Windows 10 on one of
>>> my machines. It is already running Fedora 27, and my intention is to install
>>> Windows 10 on a separate SSD. I've not done this in a long time, and, as I recall,
>>> in the past, it was by far best to install Windows first. (That's what Google
>>> thinks, too.) But it's too late for that, and I'd really rather not have to
>>> re-install Fedora.
>>>
>>> I take it the main issue here is getting GRUB back up and running. Can somone give
>>> me hints how to do that?
>>>
>> If at all possible I would take the VM route.
>>
>> Second to that, if I were going to be putting it on a separate SSD I would just
>> change the boot order in the BIOS and just boot from whatever drive I'd be using.
> Yep, that too, but in practice I see almost no performance advantage
> for my workload.

Sure, I just take the BIOS route so as not to be concerned with at some point Windows
deciding it wants to step all the boot loader.  :-)

--
Conjecture is just a conclusion based on incomplete information. It isn't a fact.

Re: Windows Dual Boot

sixpack13-2
I got a windows 7 on a second disk.
I'm NOT using UEFI.

plug off the first disk running Fedora.
IIRC windows boot loader lands otherwise on the first disk (/dev/sda)
Install Windows on the second.
Plug in the first disk and boot Fedora
then run:
sudo grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg

the next boot, windows will appear in grub's boot menu

I'm then also able to boot windows as VM via Vbox
for that VM running windows from the raw disk I do:
sudo VBoxManage internalcommands createrawvmdk -filename ./Win7_RAW.vmdk -rawdisk /dev/sdb -partitions 1,2 -relative
in the Vbox config menu regarding disk I point to Win7_RAW.vmdk

disk -l /dev/sdb:
Device     Boot    Start      End  Sectors  Size Id Type
/dev/sdb1  *        2048   206847   204800  100M  7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
/dev/sdb2         206848 40962047 40755200 19,4G  7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT