Windows eats Fedora installation USB stick

Windows eats Fedora installation USB stick

D. Hugh Redelmeier
Sometimes when I try to install Fedora, Windows eats my installation
USB stick.

Fedora is distributed as a .iso (a CD/DVD image). This image is cleverly
designed such that if you dump it, byte for byte, onto a USB stick (not
into a filesystem), you get a stick that can be booted.

I install by booting this disk, usually in UEFI mode.

But sometimes the firmware escapes me and Windows is booted.  For example,
if I am not quick enough typing ESC / DEL / F12 / whatever to steer the
firmware to boot the USB stick.

When that happens, Windows always seems to damage the image on the USB
stick.  What the heck is up with that?

When I boot the installation stick, I always choose the option to
check the contents before booting Fedora.  I do this because the
Windows damage is unannounced.

I just had it happen again.  Here's the damage, as found by cmp(1).  I
haven't worked hard at analyzing what it is but every changed byte
started out as zero.  The new bytes don't smell like ASCII (but I'm
not great at recognizing ASCII in decimal).

Any idea why Windows makes this unprovoked attack on installation
sticks?  It sure is inconvenient.

Since Microsoft is unlikely to fix this Windows bug, would it be
worthwhile for Fedora to take countermeasures?  For example, ignore
exactly those bytes that Windows damages?

$ sudo cmp -l Fedora-Workstation-Live-x86_64-28_Beta-1.3.iso /dev/sdg
  61462533   0 377
  61462534   0 377
  61471313   0 377
  61471314   0 377
  61471315   0 377
  61471316   0 377
  61472773   0 377
  61472774   0 377
  61481553   0 377
  61481554   0 377
  61481555   0 377
  61481556   0 377
  61483073   0 102
  61483074   0  40
  61483076   0 111
  61483078   0 156
  61483080   0 146
  61483082   0 157
  61483084   0  17
  61483086   0 162
  61483087   0 162
  61483089   0 155
  61483091   0 141
  61483093   0 164
  61483095   0 151
  61483097   0 157
  61483101   0 156
  61483105   0   1
  61483106   0 123
  61483108   0 171
  61483110   0 163
  61483112   0 164
  61483114   0 145
  61483116   0  17
  61483118   0 162
  61483119   0 155
  61483121   0  40
  61483123   0 126
  61483125   0 157
  61483127   0 154
  61483129   0 165
  61483133   0 155
  61483135   0 145
  61483137   0 123
  61483138   0 131
  61483139   0 123
  61483140   0 124
  61483141   0 105
  61483142   0 115
  61483143   0 176
  61483144   0  61
  61483145   0  40
  61483146   0  40
  61483147   0  40
  61483148   0  26
  61483150   0 103
  61483151   0 223
  61483152   0 142
  61483153   0 215
  61483154   0 114
  61483155   0 215
  61483156   0 114
  61483159   0 224
  61483160   0 142
  61483161   0 215
  61483162   0 114
  61483163   0   2
  61499393   0  56
  61499394   0  40
  61499395   0  40
  61499396   0  40
  61499397   0  40
  61499398   0  40
  61499399   0  40
  61499400   0  40
  61499401   0  40
  61499402   0  40
  61499403   0  40
  61499404   0  20
  61499406   0 103
  61499407   0 223
  61499408   0 142
  61499409   0 215
  61499410   0 114
  61499411   0 215
  61499412   0 114
  61499415   0 224
  61499416   0 142
  61499417   0 215
  61499418   0 114
  61499419   0   2
  61499425   0  56
  61499426   0  56
  61499427   0  40
  61499428   0  40
  61499429   0  40
  61499430   0  40
  61499431   0  40
  61499432   0  40
  61499433   0  40
  61499434   0  40
  61499435   0  40
  61499436   0  20
  61499438   0 103
  61499439   0 223
  61499440   0 142
  61499441   0 215
  61499442   0 114
  61499443   0 215
  61499444   0 114
  61499447   0 224
  61499448   0 142
  61499449   0 215
  61499450   0 114
  61499457   0 102
  61499458   0 107
  61499460   0 165
  61499462   0 151
  61499464   0 144
  61499468   0  17
  61499470   0 377
  61499471   0 377
  61499472   0 377
  61499473   0 377
  61499474   0 377
  61499475   0 377
  61499476   0 377
  61499477   0 377
  61499478   0 377
  61499479   0 377
  61499480   0 377
  61499481   0 377
  61499482   0 377
  61499485   0 377
  61499486   0 377
  61499487   0 377
  61499488   0 377
  61499489   0   1
  61499490   0 111
  61499492   0 156
  61499494   0 144
  61499496   0 145
  61499498   0 170
  61499500   0  17
  61499502   0 377
  61499503   0 145
  61499505   0 162
  61499507   0 126
  61499509   0 157
  61499511   0 154
  61499513   0 165
  61499517   0 155
  61499519   0 145
  61499521   0 111
  61499522   0 116
  61499523   0 104
  61499524   0 105
  61499525   0 130
  61499526   0 105
  61499527   0 176
  61499528   0  61
  61499529   0  40
  61499530   0  40
  61499531   0  40
  61499532   0  40
  61499534   0 104
  61499535   0 223
  61499536   0 142
  61499537   0 215
  61499538   0 114
  61499539   0 215
  61499540   0 114
  61499543   0 224
  61499544   0 142
  61499545   0 215
  61499546   0 114
  61499547   0  50
  61499548   0  21
  61499549   0 114
  61499553   0 102
  61499554   0 164
  61499558   0 377
  61499559   0 377
  61499560   0 377
  61499561   0 377
  61499562   0 377
  61499563   0 377
  61499564   0  17
  61499566   0 316
  61499567   0 377
  61499568   0 377
  61499569   0 377
  61499570   0 377
  61499571   0 377
  61499572   0 377
  61499573   0 377
  61499574   0 377
  61499575   0 377
  61499576   0 377
  61499577   0 377
  61499578   0 377
  61499581   0 377
  61499582   0 377
  61499583   0 377
  61499584   0 377
  61499585   0   1
  61499586   0 127
  61499588   0 120
  61499590   0 123
  61499592   0 145
  61499594   0 164
  61499596   0  17
  61499598   0 316
  61499599   0 164
  61499601   0 151
  61499603   0 156
  61499605   0 147
  61499607   0 163
  61499609   0  56
  61499613   0 144
  61499615   0 141
  61499617   0 127
  61499618   0 120
  61499619   0 123
  61499620   0 105
  61499621   0 124
  61499622   0 124
  61499623   0 176
  61499624   0  61
  61499625   0 104
  61499626   0 101
  61499627   0 124
  61499628   0  40
  61499630   0 106
  61499631   0 223
  61499632   0 142
  61499633   0 215
  61499634   0 114
  61499635   0 215
  61499636   0 114
  61499639   0 224
  61499640   0 142
  61499641   0 215
  61499642   0 114
  61499643   0  51
  61499644   0  21
  61499645   0  14
  70490113   0 173
  70490115   0  71
  70490117   0 101
  70490119   0  67
  70490121   0  64
  70490123   0 105
  70490125   0 106
  70490127   0  67
  70490129   0  70
  70490131   0  55
  70490133   0 104
  70490135   0  63
  70490137   0 104
  70490139   0  61
  70490141   0  55
  70490143   0  64
  70490145   0  64
  70490147   0  64
  70490149   0 102
  70490151   0  55
  70490153   0  71
  70490155   0  64
  70490157   0  60
  70490159   0  61
  70490161   0  55
  70490163   0 103
  70490165   0  66
  70490167   0 104
  70490169   0  70
  70490171   0  64
  70490173   0  60
  70490175   0  71
  70490177   0 102
  70490179   0  71
  70490181   0  60
  70490183   0  67
  70490185   0 105
  70490187   0 175
  70492161   0  14
  70492165   0 137
  70492166   0 344
  70492167   0 351
  70492168   0  77
  70492169   0 207
  70492170   0 144
  70492171   0   2
  70492172   0 305
cmp: EOF on Fedora-Workstation-Live-x86_64-28_Beta-1.3.iso after byte 1933574144

Re: Windows eats Fedora installation USB stick

Fedora mailing list
Hi
I use always Fedora Mediawriter, also in the Windows format, when I have no Fedora running. For me it's no problem to use Windows 8.1 in parallel to Fedora, Fedora on an usb connected external medium. Do You install Fedora on the Windows medium?
Kind regards

_______________________________________________ users mailing list -- [hidden email] To unsubscribe send an email to users-[hidden email]

On 13/04/18 18:10, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> Sometimes when I try to install Fedora, Windows eats my installation
> USB stick.
>
> Fedora is distributed as a .iso (a CD/DVD image). This image is cleverly
> designed such that if you dump it, byte for byte, onto a USB stick (not
> into a filesystem), you get a stick that can be booted.

Back in my Windows days I always used a program called Rufus to created
bootable USB sticks from ISO's.  Never had any problems with corruption
on them

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

Re: Windows eats Fedora installation USB stick

Joe Zeff
On 04/13/2018 10:10 AM, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> But sometimes the firmware escapes me and Windows is booted.  For example,
> if I am not quick enough typing ESC / DEL / F12 / whatever to steer the
> firmware to boot the USB stick.

Try this: start your computer without the USB drive inserted.  Only put
it in after you're in the BIOS so that if Windows gets started, it can't
trash the image.

Re: Windows eats Fedora installation USB stick

ToddAndMargo
On 04/13/2018 10:10 AM, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> When that happens, Windows always seems to damage the image on the USB
> stick.  What the heck is up with that?

Hi Hugh,

I have to work on THAT operating system whose name I shall
not mention A LOT.  Not that I want to.  My customer base
is mostly small businesses and they can not run their
businesses without THAT operating system as THAT operating
system was won the applications wars for small businesses,
the one that is slow, expensive, and riddled with bugs.
And THAT operating system puts a roof over my head and food
on my table.  If I had enough Linux customers, I would dump
THAT operating system in a second.  If I come home from
a days work and am in a crabby mode, it is because I have
been working on THAT operating system, especially the
one where they CAN'T COUNT.  Linux is just plane
fun to work on, especially Fedora (RHEL and clones, on
the other hand, I won't get into).

I use Live USB sticks to rescue computers with THAT operating
system ALL-THE-TIME.  And what you describe happens to me
on a frequent basis.  I have taught myself never to insert
a Linux based flash drive into THAT operating system which is
running.  And when I forget, I have a spare.  It is a total
pain in the ...

When I get back to my Linux based office, I dd the ISO over
the corrupted stick.

When I have a stick with something custom on it, I will dd
the stick to my hard drive for later over writing when it
gets corrupted.

And be careful with THAT operating system, shutdown and
reboot are suspend and not shutdown.  You have to turn
"Fast Boot" off and do a real shutdown to get it to
take.  (I can provide instructions for that, if you need
them.)

-T

Re: Windows eats Fedora installation USB stick

Robert Nichols
On 04/13/2018 03:17 PM, ToddAndMargo wrote:
> And be careful with THAT operating system, shutdown and
> reboot are suspend and not shutdown.  You have to turn
> "Fast Boot" off and do a real shutdown to get it to
> take.

Actually, "restart" _always_ does a full shutdown and restart regardless of the "Fast Boot" setting.

--
Bob Nichols     "NOSPAM" is really part of my email address.
                 Do NOT delete it.

On 04/13/2018 08:08 PM, Robert Nichols wrote:
> On 04/13/2018 03:17 PM, ToddAndMargo wrote:
>> And be careful with THAT operating system, shutdown and
>> reboot are suspend and not shutdown.  You have to turn
>> "Fast Boot" off and do a real shutdown to get it to
>> take.
>
> Actually, "restart" _always_ does a full shutdown and restart regardless
> of the "Fast Boot" setting.

Indeed it is suppose to.  Problem with Windows "I Can't Count" is that
each "build" is separate release.  Restart has not worked for me to
get into bios or to make disabling "fast boot" stick until I
shutdown from from the command line:

    shutdown /r f/ /t 00

which is the "Windows Universal fix all".