after F27->F28 upgrade, hangs at end of boot

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
21 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

after F27->F28 upgrade, hangs at end of boot

Dave Mitchell
I recently upgraded an 11 year old laptop from F27 to F28. (This machine has
previously worked fine with many releases from FC6 onwards.)

The upgrade went apparently smoothly.

But now near the end of the boot sequence (filling-up teardrop turning
into a fedora logo), the cursor appears in the middle of the screen, but
doesn't move with either mouse or touchpad input. After a few more minutes
the fedora teardrop vanishes, leaving a blank screen with a frozen
cursor.

Alt-Ctl_F1..7 do nothing.

I can ssh in. journalctl shows (amongst lots of other stuff):

May 13 21:36:07 pigeon systemd[1]: Reached target Network is Online.
May 13 21:41:09 pigeon systemd[1]: Reached target Multi-User System.
May 13 21:41:09 pigeon systemd[1]: Reached target Graphical Interface.

There's nothing in the journal that leaps out at me as an error.

Any idea how to debug this?

(I upgraded a week ago; today I did a dnf update, but the problem persists).

--
print+qq&$}$"$/$s$,$a$d$g$s$@$.$q$,$:$.$q$^$,$@$a$~$;$.$q$m&if+map{m,^\d{0\,},,${$::{$'}}=chr($"+=$&||1)}q&10m22,42}6:17a2~2.3@3;^2dg3q/s"&=~m*\d\*.*g
_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: after F27->F28 upgrade, hangs at end of boot

Samuel Sieb
On 05/13/2018 02:02 PM, Dave Mitchell wrote:

> But now near the end of the boot sequence (filling-up teardrop turning
> into a fedora logo), the cursor appears in the middle of the screen, but
> doesn't move with either mouse or touchpad input. After a few more minutes
> the fedora teardrop vanishes, leaving a blank screen with a frozen
> cursor.
>
> Alt-Ctl_F1..7 do nothing.
>
> I can ssh in. journalctl shows (amongst lots of other stuff):
>
> May 13 21:36:07 pigeon systemd[1]: Reached target Network is Online.
> May 13 21:41:09 pigeon systemd[1]: Reached target Multi-User System.
> May 13 21:41:09 pigeon systemd[1]: Reached target Graphical Interface.
>
> There's nothing in the journal that leaps out at me as an error.
>
> Any idea how to debug this?

With a graphical problem, it's a good idea to include info about which
graphics chipset you have.

One thing to try is edit /etc/gdm/custom.conf and uncomment the
Wayland=false line.  If that doesn't work, then edit the kernel boot
line and add "3" to the end of the line.  This should boot to a console.
  If that works, then login as your user and try running "startx".
_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: after F27->F28 upgrade, hangs at end of boot

Dave Mitchell
On Sun, May 13, 2018 at 05:43:04PM -0700, Samuel Sieb wrote:

> On 05/13/2018 02:02 PM, Dave Mitchell wrote:
> > But now near the end of the boot sequence (filling-up teardrop turning
> > into a fedora logo), the cursor appears in the middle of the screen, but
> > doesn't move with either mouse or touchpad input. After a few more minutes
> > the fedora teardrop vanishes, leaving a blank screen with a frozen
> > cursor.
> >
> > Alt-Ctl_F1..7 do nothing.
> >
> > I can ssh in. journalctl shows (amongst lots of other stuff):
> >
> > May 13 21:36:07 pigeon systemd[1]: Reached target Network is Online.
> > May 13 21:41:09 pigeon systemd[1]: Reached target Multi-User System.
> > May 13 21:41:09 pigeon systemd[1]: Reached target Graphical Interface.
> >
> > There's nothing in the journal that leaps out at me as an error.
> >
> > Any idea how to debug this?
>
> With a graphical problem, it's a good idea to include info about which
> graphics chipset you have.

Intel 945GM

> One thing to try is edit /etc/gdm/custom.conf and uncomment the
> Wayland=false line.

That did the trick, thanks.

Any idea what component I should bugzilla this against?


--
I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.
_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: after F27->F28 upgrade, hangs at end of boot

Samuel Sieb
On 05/14/2018 12:16 PM, Dave Mitchell wrote:
>> One thing to try is edit /etc/gdm/custom.conf and uncomment the
>> Wayland=false line.
>
> That did the trick, thanks.
>
> Any idea what component I should bugzilla this against?

I would suggest starting with "wayland".  If it's a kernel issue, they
can pass it on.
_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: after F27->F28 upgrade, hangs at end of boot

Ed Greshko
On 05/15/18 03:39, Samuel Sieb wrote:
> On 05/14/2018 12:16 PM, Dave Mitchell wrote:
>>> One thing to try is edit /etc/gdm/custom.conf and uncomment the
>>> Wayland=false line.
>>
>> That did the trick, thanks.
>>
>> Any idea what component I should bugzilla this against?
>
> I would suggest starting with "wayland".  If it's a kernel issue, they can pass it on.

FWIW,

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1205684
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1414364

Are both related to Intel 945GM and neither one ever being addressed/resolved.

Since Intel 945GM is old one would have to question if it is capable of supporting
wayland efficiently.  Based on those BZ and other searches, if it were me, I'd be
content with running Xorg.  :-) :-)


--
Conjecture is just a conclusion based on incomplete information. It isn't a fact.


_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]

signature.asc (235 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: after F27->F28 upgrade, hangs at end of boot

Bev in TX
In reply to this post by Samuel Sieb
Uncommenting the Wayland line also helped me.  

I installed Fedora 28 Python Classroom on my 2010 MacBook Pro as a VirtualBox 5.2.10 guest.  After booting the screen kept jumping and the mouse moved erratically; infrequently the mouse disappeared forcing me to reboot the virtual machine.  I ran all Fedora updates.  i also updated VirtualBox to 5.2.12 a couple days ago, along with its associated Oracle Extension Pack.  None of those helped.    I also tried the regular Workstation installer, with the same results.

Graphics:  Card: InnoTek Systemberatung VirtualBox Graphics Adapter
           Display Server: x11 (X.org 119.6 ) driver: vboxvideo Resolution: 1704x1048@59.99hz
           OpenGL: renderer: llvmpipe (LLVM 6.0, 128 bits) version: 2.1 Mesa 18.0.2


I have both:
Intel HD Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M

Thanks so much for this solution, as my Fedora 28 installation was barely usable before and quite literally gave me a headache.

Bev in TX

On May 13, 2018, at 7:43 PM, Samuel Sieb <[hidden email]> wrote:


With a graphical problem, it's a good idea to include info about which graphics chipset you have.

One thing to try is edit /etc/gdm/custom.conf and uncomment the Wayland=false line.  If that doesn't work, then edit the kernel boot line and add "3" to the end of the line.  This should boot to a console.  If that works, then login as your user and try running "startx".
_______________________________________________


_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: after F27->F28 upgrade, hangs at end of boot

Fedora mailing list
In reply to this post by Ed Greshko
Allegedly, on or about 15 May 2018, Ed Greshko sent:
> Are both related to Intel 945GM and neither one ever being
> addressed/resolved.
>
> Since Intel 945GM is old one would have to question if it is capable
> of supporting wayland efficiently.  Based on those BZ and other
> searches, if it were me, I'd be content with running Xorg.  :-) :-)

I bought a recent motherboard, that uses some intel HD Graphics 630
(rev 04) chipset, yet X seems to be using i915 drivers as a basic way
of using the chipset.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp
Linux 4.15.17-200.fc26.x86_64 #1 SMP Thu Apr 12 18:28:26 UTC 2018 x86_64

Boilerplate:  All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.
There is no point trying to privately email me, I only get to see
the messages posted to the mailing list.

Windows tablets are more like suppositories.
_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: after F27->F28 upgrade, hangs at end of boot

Samuel Sieb
On 05/15/2018 07:56 AM, Tim via users wrote:
> I bought a recent motherboard, that uses some intel HD Graphics 630
> (rev 04) chipset, yet X seems to be using i915 drivers as a basic way
> of using the chipset.

Isn't that the right driver?  Which one would you expect to be using?
The "915" is probably just a legacy name now.
_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: after F27->F28 upgrade, hangs at end of boot

Samuel Sieb
In reply to this post by Bev in TX
On 05/15/2018 05:03 AM, Bev in TX wrote:
> Graphics:  Card: InnoTek Systemberatung VirtualBox Graphics Adapter
>             Display Server: x11 (X.org <http://X.org> 119.6 ) driver:
> vboxvideo Resolution: 1704x1048@59.99hz
>             OpenGL: renderer: llvmpipe (LLVM 6.0, 128 bits) version: 2.1
> Mesa 18.0.2

> Thanks so much for this solution, as my Fedora 28 installation was
> barely usable before and quite literally gave me a headache.

It's likely that the vbox video driver doesn't have the full support
that works with Wayland.
_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: after F27->F28 upgrade, hangs at end of boot

Fedora mailing list
In reply to this post by Samuel Sieb
Tim wrote:
>> I bought a recent motherboard, that uses some intel HD Graphics 630
>> (rev 04) chipset, yet X seems to be using i915 drivers as a basic
>> way of using the chipset.

Samuel Sieb:
> Isn't that the right driver?

Don't know, can't tell.  There doesn't appear to be any related
documentation installed.

> Which one would you expect to be using?

Something with a 630 in the name.

> The "915" is probably just a legacy name now.

Probably.  But I don't like playing guessing games with drivers.  The
computer should be doing the work for me.

It mostly works, but I get strange graphics corruptions, from time to
time, on pop-ups (when you hover over things).  Though I can't get it
to do it, right now, else I'd provide a demo.  Fortunately I don't need
whiz bang graphics, the monitor is only 1920 by 1080.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp
Linux 4.15.17-200.fc26.x86_64 #1 SMP Thu Apr 12 18:28:26 UTC 2018 x86_64

Boilerplate:  All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.
There is no point trying to privately email me, I only get to see
the messages posted to the mailing list.

Damn, I didn't mean to press *that* button!
_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: after F27->F28 upgrade, hangs at end of boot

Bev in TX
In reply to this post by Samuel Sieb
Is this a Gnome specific issue, or does it affect all Linux desktops?

Thanks,
Bev in TX

> On May 15, 2018, at 1:51 PM, Samuel Sieb <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 05/15/2018 05:03 AM, Bev in TX wrote:
>> Graphics:  Card: InnoTek Systemberatung VirtualBox Graphics Adapter
>>            Display Server: x11 (X.org <http://X.org> 119.6 ) driver: vboxvideo Resolution: 1704x1048@59.99hz
>>            OpenGL: renderer: llvmpipe (LLVM 6.0, 128 bits) version: 2.1 Mesa 18.0.2
>
>> Thanks so much for this solution, as my Fedora 28 installation was barely usable before and quite literally gave me a headache.
>
> It's likely that the vbox video driver doesn't have the full support that works with Wayland.
> _______________________________________________
> users mailing list -- [hidden email]
> To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: after F27->F28 upgrade, hangs at end of boot

stan-3
> > On May 15, 2018, at 1:51 PM, Samuel Sieb <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > It's likely that the vbox video driver doesn't have the full
> > support that works with Wayland.

On Wed, 16 May 2018 06:50:44 -0500
Bev in TX <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is this a Gnome specific issue, or does it affect all Linux desktops?

It would affect any desktop that tries to run wayland as default.  As
far as I know, right now that is only Gnome and KDE, but I don't pay
much attention to this, since wayland lacks functionality I need, so it
isn't on my radar.

PS  On mailing lists, it is good etiquette to post replies under the
portion of the text they refer to, so it isn't necessary to be
familiar with the topic chain to understand the question.  More answers
are likely that way.
_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: after F27->F28 upgrade, hangs at end of boot

Rick Stevens-3
In reply to this post by Fedora mailing list
On 05/16/2018 12:07 AM, Tim via users wrote:

> Tim wrote:
>>> I bought a recent motherboard, that uses some intel HD Graphics 630
>>> (rev 04) chipset, yet X seems to be using i915 drivers as a basic
>>> way of using the chipset.
>
> Samuel Sieb:
>> Isn't that the right driver?
>
> Don't know, can't tell.  There doesn't appear to be any related
> documentation installed.

My laptop (F27 under Xfce) uses an Intel chip:

[root@golem4 log]# lspci -v -s 00:02.0
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core
Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09) (prog-if 00
[VGA controller])
        Subsystem: Dell Device 04d8
        Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 31
        Memory at d0000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4M]
        Memory at c0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
        I/O ports at 4000 [size=64]
        [virtual] Expansion ROM at 000c0000 [disabled] [size=128K]
        Capabilities: [90] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit-
        Capabilities: [d0] Power Management version 2
        Capabilities: [a4] PCI Advanced Features
        Kernel driver in use: i915
        Kernel modules: i915

Checking the Xorg.0.log:

[   107.315] (II) intel: Driver for Intel(R) Integrated Graphics Chipsets:
        i810, i810-dc100, i810e, i815, i830M, 845G, 854, 852GM/855GM, 865G,
        915G, E7221 (i915), 915GM, 945G, 945GM, 945GME, Pineview GM,
        Pineview G, 965G, G35, 965Q, 946GZ, 965GM, 965GME/GLE, G33, Q35,
Q33,
        GM45, 4 Series, G45/G43, Q45/Q43, G41, B43

So yes, the i915 seems to be a generic driver for the above chipsets,
and while the 630 isn't specifically listed, there's a lot of types like
"Q33" and the like, one of which may be an alias for your chipset.

An "lsmod i915" will list more than 200 PCI IDs it handles and yours
is probably buried in there.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
- Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer, AllDigital    [hidden email] -
- AIM/Skype: therps2        ICQ: 22643734            Yahoo: origrps2 -
-                                                                    -
-    Admitting you have a problem is the first step toward getting   -
-    medicated for it.      -- Jim Evarts (http://www.TopFive.com)   -
----------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: after F27->F28 upgrade, hangs at end of boot

Ed Greshko
In reply to this post by Samuel Sieb
On 05/16/18 02:51, Samuel Sieb wrote:

> On 05/15/2018 05:03 AM, Bev in TX wrote:
>> Graphics:  Card: InnoTek Systemberatung VirtualBox Graphics Adapter
>>             Display Server: x11 (X.org <http://X.org> 119.6 ) driver: vboxvideo
>> Resolution: 1704x1048@59.99hz
>>             OpenGL: renderer: llvmpipe (LLVM 6.0, 128 bits) version: 2.1 Mesa 18.0.2
>
>> Thanks so much for this solution, as my Fedora 28 installation was barely usable
>> before and quite literally gave me a headache.
>
> It's likely that the vbox video driver doesn't have the full support that works
> with Wayland.
>
I just installed F28 Workstation as a Vbox guest.

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: InnoTek Systemberatung GmbH VirtualBox Graphics
Adapter (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
        Flags: fast devsel, IRQ 18
        Memory at e0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=16M]
        [virtual] Expansion ROM at 000c0000 [disabled] [size=128K]
        Kernel driver in use: vboxvideo
        Kernel modules: vboxvideo

gdm        882   828  0 05:43 tty1     00:00:00 /usr/libexec/gdm-wayland-session
gnome-session --autostart /usr/share/gdm/greeter/autostart
gdm       1109   954  0 05:43 tty1     00:00:00 /usr/bin/Xwayland :1024 -rootless
-terminate -accessx -core -listen 4 -listen 5 -displayfd 6
egreshko  1428  1397  0 05:43 tty2     00:00:00 /usr/libexec/gdm-wayland-session
gnome-session
egreshko  1565  1543  0 05:43 tty2     00:00:00 /usr/bin/Xwayland :0 -rootless
-terminate -accessx -core -listen 4 -listen 5 -displayfd 6
egreshko  2697  2509  0 06:01 pts/0    00:00:00 grep --color=auto -i way

DISPLAY=:0
WAYLAND_DISPLAY=wayland-0

So, it is running a Wayland session just fine.

--
Conjecture is just a conclusion based on incomplete information. It isn't a fact.

_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]

signature.asc (235 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: after F27->F28 upgrade, hangs at end of boot

Bev in TX

Bev in TX




On May 16, 2018, at 5:19 PM, Ed Greshko <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 05/16/18 02:51, Samuel Sieb wrote:
On 05/15/2018 05:03 AM, Bev in TX wrote:
Graphics:  Card: InnoTek Systemberatung VirtualBox Graphics Adapter
            Display Server: x11 (X.org <http://X.org> 119.6 ) driver: vboxvideo
Resolution: 1704x1048@59.99hz
            OpenGL: renderer: llvmpipe (LLVM 6.0, 128 bits) version: 2.1 Mesa 18.0.2

Thanks so much for this solution, as my Fedora 28 installation was barely usable
before and quite literally gave me a headache.

It's likely that the vbox video driver doesn't have the full support that works
with Wayland.


I just installed F28 Workstation as a Vbox guest.

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: InnoTek Systemberatung GmbH VirtualBox Graphics
Adapter (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
        Flags: fast devsel, IRQ 18
        Memory at e0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=16M]
        [virtual] Expansion ROM at 000c0000 [disabled] [size=128K]
        Kernel driver in use: vboxvideo
        Kernel modules: vboxvideo

gdm        882   828  0 05:43 tty1     00:00:00 /usr/libexec/gdm-wayland-session
gnome-session --autostart /usr/share/gdm/greeter/autostart
gdm       1109   954  0 05:43 tty1     00:00:00 /usr/bin/Xwayland :1024 -rootless
-terminate -accessx -core -listen 4 -listen 5 -displayfd 6
egreshko  1428  1397  0 05:43 tty2     00:00:00 /usr/libexec/gdm-wayland-session
gnome-session
egreshko  1565  1543  0 05:43 tty2     00:00:00 /usr/bin/Xwayland :0 -rootless
-terminate -accessx -core -listen 4 -listen 5 -displayfd 6
egreshko  2697  2509  0 06:01 pts/0    00:00:00 grep --color=auto -i way

DISPLAY=:0
WAYLAND_DISPLAY=wayland-0

So, it is running a Wayland session just fine.

You did not indicate …
what is your host OS?
which version of VirtualBox you are using?
what hardware do you have?

It doesn’t work properly for me using VirtualBox Version 5.2.12 r122591 (Qt5.6.3) on host OS macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 (17E202) on my older 2010 MacBook Pro.  It has has both onboard and discrete graphics, and is supposed to automatically switch between the two as usage demands:
Intel HD Graphics:

  Chipset Model: Intel HD Graphics
  Type: GPU
  Bus: Built-In
  VRAM (Dynamic, Max): 288 MB
  Vendor: Intel
  Device ID: 0x0046
  Revision ID: 0x0012
  Automatic Graphics Switching: Supported
  gMux Version: 1.9.22

NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M:

  Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
  Type: GPU
  Bus: PCIe
  PCIe Lane Width: x16
  VRAM (Dynamic, Max): 512 MB
  Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
  Device ID: 0x0a29
  Revision ID: 0x00a2
  ROM Revision: 3560
  Automatic Graphics Switching: Supported
  gMux Version: 1.9.22
 
Bev in TX


_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
Fedora Code of Conduct: https://getfedora.org/code-of-conduct.html
List Guidelines: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
List Archives: https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/users@.../message/RNRY4MMZ4JXJWTQ26BQ45XHTV5343HWC/
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: after F27->F28 upgrade, hangs at end of boot

Bev in TX
In reply to this post by stan-3
> On May 16, 2018, at 11:05 AM, stan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Is this a Gnome specific issue, or does it affect all Linux desktops?
>
> It would affect any desktop that tries to run wayland as default.  As
> far as I know, right now that is only Gnome and KDE, but I don't pay
> much attention to this, since wayland lacks functionality I need, so it
> isn't on my radar.
>
> PS  On mailing lists, it is good etiquette to post replies under the
> portion of the text they refer to, so it isn't necessary to be
> familiar with the topic chain to understand the question.  More answers
> are likely that way.

Thanks for the info.  I’ll try to remember to bottom post in this group.

Bev in TX
_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
Fedora Code of Conduct: https://getfedora.org/code-of-conduct.html
List Guidelines: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
List Archives: https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/users@.../message/XZHH3IB2FG7GXAMXYCSL3Q2S62ZGS5SE/
av
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: after F27->F28 upgrade, hangs at end of boot

av
In reply to this post by Ed Greshko
On Thu, 2018-05-17 at 06:19 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:

> On 05/16/18 02:51, Samuel Sieb wrote:
> > On 05/15/2018 05:03 AM, Bev in TX wrote:
> > > Graphics:  Card: InnoTek Systemberatung VirtualBox Graphics
> > > Adapter
> > >             Display Server: x11 (X.org <http://X.org> 119.6 )
> > > driver: vboxvideo
> > > Resolution: 1704x1048@59.99hz
> > >             OpenGL: renderer: llvmpipe (LLVM 6.0, 128 bits)
> > > version: 2.1 Mesa 18.0.2
> > > Thanks so much for this solution, as my Fedora 28 installation
> > > was barely usable
> > > before and quite literally gave me a headache.
> >
> > It's likely that the vbox video driver doesn't have the full
> > support that works
> > with Wayland.
> >
>
> I just installed F28 Workstation as a Vbox guest.
>
> 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: InnoTek Systemberatung GmbH
> VirtualBox Graphics
> Adapter (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
>         Flags: fast devsel, IRQ 18
>         Memory at e0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=16M]
>         [virtual] Expansion ROM at 000c0000 [disabled] [size=128K]
>         Kernel driver in use: vboxvideo
>         Kernel modules: vboxvideo
>
> gdm        882   828  0 05:43 tty1     00:00:00 /usr/libexec/gdm-
> wayland-session
> gnome-session --autostart /usr/share/gdm/greeter/autostart
> gdm       1109   954  0 05:43 tty1     00:00:00 /usr/bin/Xwayland
> :1024 -rootless
> -terminate -accessx -core -listen 4 -listen 5 -displayfd 6
> egreshko  1428  1397  0 05:43 tty2     00:00:00 /usr/libexec/gdm-
> wayland-session
> gnome-session
> egreshko  1565  1543  0 05:43 tty2     00:00:00 /usr/bin/Xwayland :0
> -rootless
> -terminate -accessx -core -listen 4 -listen 5 -displayfd 6
> egreshko  2697  2509  0 06:01 pts/0    00:00:00 grep --color=auto -i
> way
>
> DISPLAY=:0
> WAYLAND_DISPLAY=wayland-0
>
> So, it is running a Wayland session just fine.

Yes Wayland runs OK but the usability depends on the hardware.
On a MacBook Pro from 2013 touch-pad behavior (scroll + mouse-pointer
movement) is erratic and in general unusable in a Wayland session.
Only a switch to Gnome under Xorg gives a relatively comfortable
working environment.

AV
_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
Fedora Code of Conduct: https://getfedora.org/code-of-conduct.html
List Guidelines: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
List Archives: https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/users@.../message/RTAN735B4OC4RGIAHUJTLG23VUTVRQDQ/
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: after F27->F28 upgrade, hangs at end of boot

Ed Greshko-2
In reply to this post by Bev in TX
On 05/17/18 19:47, Bev in TX wrote:

>
> Bev in TX
>
>
>
>
>> On May 16, 2018, at 5:19 PM, Ed Greshko <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>> On 05/16/18 02:51, Samuel Sieb wrote:
>>> On 05/15/2018 05:03 AM, Bev in TX wrote:
>>>> Graphics:  Card: InnoTek Systemberatung VirtualBox Graphics Adapter
>>>>             Display Server: x11 (X.org <http://X.org> <http://X.org> 119.6 )
>>>> driver: vboxvideo
>>>> Resolution: 1704x1048@59.99hz
>>>>             OpenGL: renderer: llvmpipe (LLVM 6.0, 128 bits) version: 2.1 Mesa 18.0.2
>>>
>>>> Thanks so much for this solution, as my Fedora 28 installation was barely usable
>>>> before and quite literally gave me a headache.
>>>
>>> It's likely that the vbox video driver doesn't have the full support that works
>>> with Wayland.
>>>
>>
>> I just installed F28 Workstation as a Vbox guest.
>>
>> 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: InnoTek Systemberatung GmbH VirtualBox Graphics
>> Adapter (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
>>         Flags: fast devsel, IRQ 18
>>         Memory at e0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=16M]
>>         [virtual] Expansion ROM at 000c0000 [disabled] [size=128K]
>>         Kernel driver in use: vboxvideo
>>         Kernel modules: vboxvideo
>>
>> gdm        882   828  0 05:43 tty1     00:00:00 /usr/libexec/gdm-wayland-session
>> gnome-session --autostart /usr/share/gdm/greeter/autostart
>> gdm       1109   954  0 05:43 tty1     00:00:00 /usr/bin/Xwayland :1024 -rootless
>> -terminate -accessx -core -listen 4 -listen 5 -displayfd 6
>> egreshko  1428  1397  0 05:43 tty2     00:00:00 /usr/libexec/gdm-wayland-session
>> gnome-session
>> egreshko  1565  1543  0 05:43 tty2     00:00:00 /usr/bin/Xwayland :0 -rootless
>> -terminate -accessx -core -listen 4 -listen 5 -displayfd 6
>> egreshko  2697  2509  0 06:01 pts/0    00:00:00 grep --color=auto -i way
>>
>> DISPLAY=:0
>> WAYLAND_DISPLAY=wayland-0
>>
>> So, it is running a Wayland session just fine.
>
> You did not indicate …
> what is your host OS?
Host OS is F28 fully updated with KDE as my DE

> which version of VirtualBox you are using?

VirtualBox-5.2-5.2.12_122591

> what hardware do you have?

NVIDIA Corporation GK106 [GeForce GTX 660]

[egreshko@meimei ~]$ uname -a
Linux meimei.greshko.com 4.16.8-300.fc28.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed May 9 20:23:40 UTC 2018
x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

--
Conjecture is just a conclusion based on incomplete information. It isn't a fact.


_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
Fedora Code of Conduct: https://getfedora.org/code-of-conduct.html
List Guidelines: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
List Archives: https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/users@.../message/JXZ2AHINDMIO2KPFCJI3JMFBTK2W7B7B/

signature.asc (849 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: after F27->F28 upgrade, hangs at end of boot

stan-3
In reply to this post by Bev in TX
On Thu, 17 May 2018 06:52:29 -0500
Bev in TX <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for the info.  I’ll try to remember to bottom post in this
> group.

Yeah, it's exactly the opposite of business communications, where
everyone just puts their response at the top, and the whole chain is in
the message below.  There, everyone is in the loop, so it makes
more sense to just put the response at the top.  I suppose that style
would work in mailing lists, also, but it would be a lot more traffic,
and people who pop in on the middle of a conversation would have to do
a lot of work to come up to speed.

I'm pretty forgiving of lapses, but be warned, there are some fierce
advocates of interspersed responses and trimming in the mailing
list world.  :-)
_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
Fedora Code of Conduct: https://getfedora.org/code-of-conduct.html
List Guidelines: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
List Archives: https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/users@.../message/JQNCDGQEWDI4ZUOWQ3ZRAMNSTL4BN3QU/
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: after F27->F28 upgrade, hangs at end of boot

Fedora mailing list
Allegedly, on or about 17 May 2018, stan sent:
> Yeah, it's exactly the opposite of business communications, where
> everyone just puts their response at the top, and the whole chain is
> in the message below.  There, everyone is in the loop, so it makes
> more sense to just put the response at the top.

It's almost essential in the business world, because they're not using
list servers.  Without doing all that reply on top of reply stapling,
or using a list server, only two people can email back and forth, and
see all the messages in the chain.  Try including a third person, and
the only way for them to keep track, is to include all the prior
messages with every reply.  It's very messy and inefficient, and
horrendously storage space wasting when people incorporate huge
attachments.  It's yet another reason why businesses are eschewing
email for other kinds of collaboration software, instead (which bring
in their own sets of logistical and user-education nightmares).

> I suppose that style would work in mailing lists, also, but it would
> be a lot more traffic, and people who pop in on the middle of a
> conversation would have to do a lot of work to come up to speed.

It's an extraordinarily bad way of doing things for lists like this.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp
Linux 4.16.7-100.fc26.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed May 2 21:45:56 UTC 2018 x86_64

Boilerplate:  All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.
There is no point trying to privately email me, I only get to see
the messages posted to the mailing list.

Programmers who can't take criticisms shouldn't release software that invites
it.
_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
Fedora Code of Conduct: https://getfedora.org/code-of-conduct.html
List Guidelines: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines
List Archives: https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/users@.../message/ZSJLAZYC4T4XLLSR3AQU7F337Z5KFU76/
12