alternative to skype

1234

alternative to skype

Patrick Dupre-4
Hello,

Is there an alternative to skype which would also allow me to exchange
documents ?

Thank.

Re: alternative to skype

Bogdan Cristea
Hi

You might try retro share: it uses peer 2 peer instead of server based connection

regards
Bogdan

On 17 Mar 2018, at 22:52, Patrick Dupre <[hidden email]> wrote:

Is there an alternative to skype which would also allow me to exchange
documents ?

Re: alternative to skype

Germano Massullo
I don't know about documents exchange,  but you could give a look to
- Jitsi web

Re: alternative to skype

Fred Roller
gmail has video connect (both might need an account but so does skype) and the drive would allow shared files.  Google voice is a free service which does video as well I believe.

-- Fred

Re: alternative to skype

Roger
Try Viber It may be an alternative

Cheers

On 18/3/18 7:52 am, Patrick Dupre wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Is there an alternative to skype which would also allow me to exchange
> documents ?
>
> Thank.

Re: alternative to skype

Patrick O'Callaghan
On Sat, 2018-03-17 at 22:48 -0400, fred roller wrote:
> gmail has video connect (both might need an account but so does skype) and the drive would allow shared files.  Google voice is a free service which does video as well I believe.

Google Voice only exists in the US.

Google Hangouts is an alternative available everywhere. It also allows
multi-part video-conferencing, which I think Skype only has in the
business version (at least it used to be that way). And Google, never
happy with only one offering, also has Allo and Duo.

There's also WhatsApp (one-to-one video only AFAIK), and I think
Facebook.

All of these are closed-source of course, but so is Skype.

poc

Re: alternative to skype

jd1008

> On Sat, 2018-03-17 at 22:48 -0400, fred roller wrote:
>> gmail has video connect (both might need an account but so does skype) and the drive would allow shared files.  Google voice is a free service which does video as well I believe.
> Google Voice only exists in the US.
>
> Google Hangouts is an alternative available everywhere. It also allows
> multi-part video-conferencing, which I think Skype only has in the
> business version (at least it used to be that way). And Google, never
> happy with only one offering, also has Allo and Duo.
>
> There's also WhatsApp (one-to-one video only AFAIK), and I think
> Facebook.
>
> All of these are closed-source of course, but so is Skype.
>
> poc
Does Google Hangouts allow international free phone number calling?

Re: alternative to skype

Fred Roller
Does Google Hangouts allow international free phone number calling?

AFAIK it is just a private chat set up by email identifier so no phone.  In essence then yes. The Google Voice option, if you can get it will do what I suspect you want; your account to a non-account call.

-- Fred

Re: alternative to skype

jd1008

On 03/18/2018 10:32 AM, fred roller wrote:
> > Does Google Hangouts allow international free phone number calling?
> AFAIK it is just a private chat set up by email identifier so no
> phone.  In essence then yes. The Google Voice option, if you can get
> it will do what I suspect you want; your account to a non-account call.
>
> -- Fred

I don't understand the last part: your account to a non-account call.
What is a non-account call????

Re: alternative to skype

Fred Roller
you have g-voice they do not.  similar to skype acct to acct or acct to other. I use g-voice for a voice mailbox because of its ability to transcribe to text and send to my phone.  I do know that you can call any phone number but usually by charging the account w/ $$.

On Sun, Mar 18, 2018 at 12:40 PM, JD <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 03/18/2018 10:32 AM, fred roller wrote:
> Does Google Hangouts allow international free phone number calling?
AFAIK it is just a private chat set up by email identifier so no phone.  In essence then yes. The Google Voice option, if you can get it will do what I suspect you want; your account to a non-account call.

-- Fred

I don't understand the last part: your account to a non-account call.
What is a non-account call????

Re: alternative to skype

Mike Wright-2
On 03/18/2018 09:32 AM, fred roller wrote:
>  > Does Google Hangouts allow international free phone number calling?
>
> AFAIK it is just a private chat set up by email identifier so no phone.
> In essence then yes. The Google Voice option, if you can get it will do
> what I suspect you want; your account to a non-account call.

I've been using Google Voice for years.  From the US all US and Canada
calls are free.  Other countries start at 1¢ (e.g. MX, BR, AU, FR) per
minute.  Even DPRK is only 55¢.

Mike Wright

Re: alternative to skype

jd1008

On 03/18/2018 11:46 AM, fred roller wrote:

> you have g-voice they do not.  similar to skype acct to acct or acct
> to other. I use g-voice for a voice mailbox because of its ability to
> transcribe to text and send to my phone.  I do know that you can call
> any phone number but usually by charging the account w/ $$.
>
> On Sun, Mar 18, 2018 at 12:40 PM, JD <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>

>     On 03/18/2018 10:32 AM, fred roller wrote:
>
>         > Does Google Hangouts allow international free phone number
>         calling?
>         AFAIK it is just a private chat set up by email identifier so
>         no phone.  In essence then yes. The Google Voice option, if
>         you can get it will do what I suspect you want; your account
>         to a non-account call.
>
>         -- Fred
>
>     I don't understand the last part: your account to a non-account call.
>     What is a non-account call????

well, that's just like skype.
I do not know googl'es per minute charges to non-account phone numbers,
vs. phone numbers associated with a google account.
Are the rates published online?

Re: alternative to skype

Ed Greshko

http://bit.ly/2FQletP   ?

--
Conjecture is just a conclusion based on incomplete information. It isn't a fact.

Re: alternative to skype

jd1008

On 03/18/2018 02:34 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:

> On 03/19/18 04:20, JD wrote:
>> On 03/18/2018 11:46 AM, fred roller wrote:
>>> you have g-voice they do not.  similar to skype acct to acct or acct to other. I
>>> use g-voice for a voice mailbox because of its ability to transcribe to text and
>>> send to my phone.  I do know that you can call any phone number but usually by
>>> charging the account w/ $$.
>>>
>>> On Sun, Mar 18, 2018 at 12:40 PM, JD <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>>> wrote:
>>>

>>>      On 03/18/2018 10:32 AM, fred roller wrote:
>>>
>>>          > Does Google Hangouts allow international free phone number
>>>          calling?
>>>          AFAIK it is just a private chat set up by email identifier so
>>>          no phone.  In essence then yes. The Google Voice option, if
>>>          you can get it will do what I suspect you want; your account
>>>          to a non-account call.
>>>
>>>          -- Fred
>>>
>>>      I don't understand the last part: your account to a non-account call.
>>>      What is a non-account call????
>>>
>> well, that's just like skype.
>> I do not know googl'es per minute charges to non-account phone numbers,
>> vs. phone numbers associated with a google account.
>> Are the rates published online?
> http://bit.ly/2FQletP   ?
Great and reasonable rate charges.

Re: alternative to skype

Robbi Nespu
I still use Skype since my contact come from various type of OS on
they machine. So I keep using skype protocol but using pidgin
(skype4pidgin), it very lightweight compare to official skype
software.

Check the project here : https://github.com/EionRobb/skype4pidgin
,Fedora has this package , so just install from our repository

$ sudo dnf install purple-skypeweb pidgin-skypeweb

Sending document seem have some issues, but I don't care much. I can
send via web when needed. If you still care and want self hosted, take
a look on Jitsi project.

Last not least, riot.im and tox.chat also good platform to try

--

Best Regards,
RN

Re: alternative to skype

Patrick O'Callaghan
On Sun, 2018-03-18 at 11:03 -0700, Mike Wright wrote:

> On 03/18/2018 09:32 AM, fred roller wrote:
> >  > Does Google Hangouts allow international free phone number calling?
> >
> > AFAIK it is just a private chat set up by email identifier so no phone.
> > In essence then yes. The Google Voice option, if you can get it will do
> > what I suspect you want; your account to a non-account call.
>
> I've been using Google Voice for years.  From the US all US and Canada
> calls are free.  Other countries start at 1¢ (e.g. MX, BR, AU, FR) per
> minute.  Even DPRK is only 55¢.

That's fine, but as I said earlier, only available to users in the US.
Google Voice had been around for quite some time now and has never
expanded its service beyond the US (not just calling but unified phone
numbers etc.), all of which I would have been interested in at one
time.

poc

Re: alternative to skype

Néstor
You can actually use Google voice in another country as long as you have access to the internet.

Sometimes if I am I another and I need to call someone in that country I will go to a place that has WiFi and make the call like if i was in the US
and i call that country's phone number.

It worked for me in Japan, Panama, Philippines, Mexico, Peru

On Mon, Mar 19, 2018, 3:49 PM Patrick O'Callaghan <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sun, 2018-03-18 at 11:03 -0700, Mike Wright wrote:
> On 03/18/2018 09:32 AM, fred roller wrote:
> >  > Does Google Hangouts allow international free phone number calling?
> >
> > AFAIK it is just a private chat set up by email identifier so no phone.
> > In essence then yes. The Google Voice option, if you can get it will do
> > what I suspect you want; your account to a non-account call.
>
> I've been using Google Voice for years.  From the US all US and Canada
> calls are free.  Other countries start at 1¢ (e.g. MX, BR, AU, FR) per
> minute.  Even DPRK is only 55¢.

That's fine, but as I said earlier, only available to users in the US.
Google Voice had been around for quite some time now and has never
expanded its service beyond the US (not just calling but unified phone
numbers etc.), all of which I would have been interested in at one
time.

poc

Re: alternative to skype

Chicago
I think you need to be here in the US to register a new number though? Also if you don't use it for so long it goes away.

Re: alternative to skype

Patrick O'Callaghan
On Tue, 2018-03-20 at 00:09 +0000, Néstor wrote:
> You can actually use Google voice in another country as long as you have access to the internet.
>
> Sometimes if I am I another and I need to call someone in that country I will go to a place that has WiFi and make the call like if i was in the US
> and i call that country's phone number.

[Please don't top-post]

When I said "only available to users in the US" I meant "only available
to US users", i.e. users with an address and phone number in the US.
Where you are physically when you make the call is irrelevant.

poc

Re: alternative to skype

Fred Roller

On Tue, Mar 20, 2018 at 7:00 AM, Patrick O'Callaghan <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, 2018-03-20 at 00:09 +0000, Néstor wrote:
> You can actually use Google voice in another country as long as you have access to the internet.
>
> Sometimes if I am I another and I need to call someone in that country I will go to a place that has WiFi and make the call like if i was in the US
> and i call that country's phone number.

[Please don't top-post]

When I said "only available to users in the US" I meant "only available
to US users", i.e. users with an address and phone number in the US.
Where you are physically when you make the call is irrelevant.

poc

Apologies for the top posts, gmail insist on top posting reponses and I forget to adjust.

FWIW you can give https://www.asterisk.org/ a try and DIY a phone server.  The VOIP would give you the mobile option because I used it an age ago (headset and my laptop were my "phone" with any internet connection).  Any calls to numbers would bill from server to client for purpose of long distance; i.e. you home base in England (server) go to France and call a client in Japan.  Your calls to England home office, gratis.  France to Japan would be billed from England -> Japan.  There are ways to mitigate expense if not reduce to zero altogether if memory serves.  It has been ages since I used this last but the project is still going strong and OS.  File transfers can be handled through any number of online fileshare option, rather previlent these days.

-- Fred

1234