can i define my own dnf package groups?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

can i define my own dnf package groups?

Robert P. J. Day

  related to my earlier query (and i'll have a couple more about
package groups and virtualization before i'm done), is there any way
to define my own package groups for personal use, other than manually
hacking the groups.xml file?

  i've scanned the dnf man page, and i don't see any indication that
that's possible -- perhaps a dnf plugin somewhere i haven't found?

rday
_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: can i define my own dnf package groups?

Ed Greshko
On 04/06/18 17:55, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>   related to my earlier query (and i'll have a couple more about
> package groups and virtualization before i'm done), is there any way
> to define my own package groups for personal use, other than manually
> hacking the groups.xml file?
>
>   i've scanned the dnf man page, and i don't see any indication that
> that's possible -- perhaps a dnf plugin somewhere i haven't found?


I may be misunderstanding your terminology?  There is no concept of a "dnf" package
group.

package groups are defined within the repodata for each repo.  The file would be
named something like
db434ff174a0a9afa983f7721dda9caaa1d9b6e35517e504e002f824faa87002-comps-Everything.x86_64.xml.gz


I think the groups.xml file you're talking about hacking would be the one found in,
for example, /var/cache/dnf/fedora-cba4cf65782eccda/repodata/gen ?

But that file will be regenerated when the metadata expires.

So, to achieve what I think you want (a new group with your chosen packages) I
believe you probably would want to create a "local" repo with no packages but with
your custom group definition.

--
Conjecture is just a conclusion based on incomplete information. It isn't a fact.


_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]

signature.asc (235 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: can i define my own dnf package groups?

Robert P. J. Day
On Fri, 6 Apr 2018, Ed Greshko wrote:

> On 04/06/18 17:55, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >   related to my earlier query (and i'll have a couple more about
> > package groups and virtualization before i'm done), is there any way
> > to define my own package groups for personal use, other than manually
> > hacking the groups.xml file?
> >
> >   i've scanned the dnf man page, and i don't see any indication that
> > that's possible -- perhaps a dnf plugin somewhere i haven't found?
>
> I may be misunderstanding your terminology?  There is no concept of
> a "dnf" package group.
  sorry, just being redundant and superfluous there.

> package groups are defined within the repodata for each repo.  The file would be
> named something like
> db434ff174a0a9afa983f7721dda9caaa1d9b6e35517e504e002f824faa87002-comps-Everything.x86_64.xml.gz
>
>
> I think the groups.xml file you're talking about hacking would be the one found in,
> for example, /var/cache/dnf/fedora-cba4cf65782eccda/repodata/gen ?
>
> But that file will be regenerated when the metadata expires.

  correct, i was just trying to draw an analogy with what i was trying
to do.

> So, to achieve what I think you want (a new group with your chosen
> packages) I believe you probably would want to create a "local" repo
> with no packages but with your custom group definition.

  ah, quite so, i hadn't thought of that, that seems like the easiest
solution.

rday
_______________________________________________
users mailing list -- [hidden email]
To unsubscribe send an email to [hidden email]