canceling freebsd-update

FREE BSD QUESTIONS mailing list
I have a VM that needed more disk space. When I logged in to shutdown, I
see this is 10.1-RELEASE so I decided to update the machine. After which
I went ahead and initated an upgrade to 10.4 by running 'freebsd-update
-r 10.4-RELEASE upgrade'. As the machine was fetching, I realized the
/var drive does not have so much disk space. All merging went perfectly,
only a couple of files to manually merge and ended up with only a little
over 500MB free space (94% usage) on /var after. I decided not to commit
and free up some space first and did not issue the 'freebsd-update
install'. The system has been rebooted since I shutdown to grow the disk
of this VM, came back up as 10.1-RELEASE-p41 and I finished the disk
maintenance and now have plenty of space on /var.

Now, should I run the install when ready or should I cancel that
previous upgrade and start over somehow?

--
Robert

Re: canceling freebsd-update

Matthew Seaman-2
On 24/10/2017 06:36, Robert Fitzpatrick via freebsd-questions wrote:

> I have a VM that needed more disk space. When I logged in to shutdown, I
> see this is 10.1-RELEASE so I decided to update the machine. After which
> I went ahead and initated an upgrade to 10.4 by running 'freebsd-update
> -r 10.4-RELEASE upgrade'. As the machine was fetching, I realized the
> /var drive does not have so much disk space. All merging went perfectly,
> only a couple of files to manually merge and ended up with only a little
> over 500MB free space (94% usage) on /var after. I decided not to commit
> and free up some space first and did not issue the 'freebsd-update
> install'. The system has been rebooted since I shutdown to grow the disk
> of this VM, came back up as 10.1-RELEASE-p41 and I finished the disk
> maintenance and now have plenty of space on /var.
>
> Now, should I run the install when ready or should I cancel that
> previous upgrade and start over somehow?

You can just carry on the freebsd-update process from where you left
off.  You've got the upgrade to 10.4-RELEASE sitting prepared in
/var/db/freebsd-update and ready to go.

        Cheers,

        Matthew