copying all chrome config data to different user

copying all chrome config data to different user

David L
I have historically had problems with my desktop environment when I use the same user home directory on a dual boot system (eg, when I have 16.10 on one partition and 18.04 on another). Therefore, I like to use different user home directories for myself for each environment and copy or symlink directories that I can share without compatibility quirks. I would like to be able to have ALL data related to google-chrome accessible in both systems. I have dozens of user-data-dir's for various things I work on, each with their own stored passwords, cookies, etc. Based on some google searches, I thought I could copy everything I needed between the two home directories by copying the user-data-dir directories and the .config/google-chrome directory, but my stored passwords do not transfer. Does anybody know how I can get everything I need (and nothing I don't need) from one home directory and put it in another to get google-chrome (or chromium-browser) to just work on a dual boot system with isolated home directories for the same user?

Thanks,

          David

PS - I don't want to have to export passwords and import them... it seems like I should be able to just copy the right files/directories, which I can do from the command line quickly for dozens of user-data-dirs that each maintain different passwords.

Re: copying all chrome config data to different user

Colin Law-2
On 16 March 2018 at 19:50, David L <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I believe that the passwords are stored in an sqlite db .config/google-chrome/Default/Login Data so at first sight that aught to work.  However I wonder whether there is protection in the encryption technique to prevent it working if you copy it somewhere else.  Have you tried symlinking .config/google-chrome rather than copying it?

Colin

Thanks,

          David

PS - I don't want to have to export passwords and import them... it seems like I should be able to just copy the right files/directories, which I can do from the command line quickly for dozens of user-data-dirs that each maintain different passwords.

Re: copying all chrome config data to different user

Liam Proven
On 16 March 2018 at 20:50, David L <[hidden email]> wrote:

> PS - I don't want to have to export passwords and import them...

Try Xmarks.

Email: [hidden email] • Google Mail/Hangouts/Plus: [hidden email]
Twitter/Facebook/Flickr: lproven • Skype/LinkedIn: liamproven
UK: +44 7939-087884 • ČR (+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal): +420 702 829 053

On 16 March 2018 at 23:57, Liam Proven <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 16 March 2018 at 20:50, David L <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> PS - I don't want to have to export passwords and import them...
>
> Try Xmarks.

Actually, come to that, Chrome's built-in sync function will do this.

On Sat, Mar 17, 2018 at 3:53 AM, Liam Proven <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 16 March 2018 at 23:57, Liam Proven <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 16 March 2018 at 20:50, David L <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> PS - I don't want to have to export passwords and import them...
>
> Try Xmarks.

Actually, come to that, Chrome's built-in sync function will do this.

I understand that there are some cloud-based ways to sync passwords, but I'm looking for a way to just clone an arbitrary number of chrome configurations from one partition to another with a wild card command at the command line. This should be possible... I just need to know what subset of configuration data to copy. user-data-dirs and .config/google-chrome does not appear to be enough.

Thanks,

       Dave

On 19 March 2018 at 18:06, David L <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I understand that there are some cloud-based ways to sync passwords, but I'm
> looking for a way to just clone an arbitrary number of chrome configurations
> from one partition to another with a wild card command at the command line.
> This should be possible... I just need to know what subset of configuration
> data to copy. user-data-dirs and .config/google-chrome does not appear to be
> enough.

Why?

Seriously, I think you need to ask this.

You want an additional external way to duplicate a built-in function
of the software, which is to say, one that will therefore by nature
_conflict_ with the built-in function. That is unwise.

If you just want to share the profile, share the profile. Put it
somewhere both installations/accounts can access and symlink it. Job
done.

On Mon, Mar 19, 2018 at 10:29 AM, Liam Proven <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 19 March 2018 at 18:06, David L <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I understand that there are some cloud-based ways to sync passwords, but I'm
> looking for a way to just clone an arbitrary number of chrome configurations
> from one partition to another with a wild card command at the command line.
> This should be possible... I just need to know what subset of configuration
> data to copy. user-data-dirs and .config/google-chrome does not appear to be
> enough.

Why?

Seriously, I think you need to ask this.

I have dozens of profiles and I simply want to have them seamlessly work in the same computer when using an alternate boot partition. There is no reason that the use of the cloud should be necessary to share data on the same computer and there is no reason that per-profile GUI interaction should be necessary to do what I want to do. If there is a command line command to clone profiles (including passwords), that would be completely acceptable... I could write a script and wildcard clone all of my profiles. Is there one? Otherwise, it's very inconvenient to have to open each profile (twice I assume, once on the old to set up export, and once on the new to set up import) and perform any level of GUI interaction to clone the environment I have working on another partition.

You want an additional external way to duplicate a built-in function
of the software, which is to say, one that will therefore by nature
_conflict_ with the built-in function. That is unwise.

Not really... I want a command line backup and restore of configuration data for an application. Here's an example use case that really happened to me. I went on vacation last summer and cloned my entire user directory to eSATA drive in case I needed to handle any work issues while I was gone. I was able to use chrome including saved passwords from that cloned disk. But then I had a problem with that disk... no big deal I thought... I'll just ssh into my desktop and copy the small subset of the data that I used on a daily basis (instead of hundreds of GB of full backup). The problem was that I didn't know what subset to copy and my internet connection was too slow to attempt to use VNC to do any sort of per application GUI interaction to export configurations.

If you just want to share the profile, share the profile. Put it
somewhere both installations/accounts can access and symlink it. Job
done.

First, sharing the profile by sharing the user-data-dir doesn't work for passwords. Second, when I went back to 16.10 (because some things are still broken for me in 18.04) and ran chrome on one of the profiles that I had used from 18.04, it said the profile was broken because it had been used by a newer version of chrome. So the safe thing to do it copy the user-data-dir rather than symlink, but neither symlinking nor copying user-data-dir works, so the question of copy vs symlink is moot. Somewhere outside of .config/google-chrome and user-data-dir profile directories there is some configuration info that has passwords or enables the passwords to work and that's the configuration info that I'm looking for.

Re: copying all chrome config data to different user

Colin Law-2
Actually I now think that Chrome on Ubuntu may store the passwords in
the Ubuntu Login Keyring if you are not in to google and keeping them
in the cloud or maybe even if you are.  Run Passwords & Keys and see
if yours are there. It is difficult for me to be certain as I am not
sure which ones have been stored by which app.  The clue is that if I
have auto login enabled so that I do not enter my pwd on logging onto
the computer then Chrome asks for my password when I run it.

Colin

On 22 March 2018 at 17:45, David L <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have dozens of profiles and I simply want to have them seamlessly work in
> the same computer when using an alternate boot partition. There is no reason
> that the use of the cloud should be necessary to share data on the same
> computer

Yes, there is, and you answer this yourself later in your post.

This is why:

> First, sharing the profile by sharing the user-data-dir doesn't work for
> passwords.

Also:

> Second, when I went back to 16.10

Do you mean 17.10?

> (because some things are still
> broken for me in 18.04)

You are apparently attempting to run an unfinished pre-release OS. Don't.

> and ran chrome on one of the profiles that I had
> used from 18.04, it said the profile was broken because it had been used by
> a newer version of chrome.

Don't do that, either.

>  So the safe thing to do it copy the user-data-dir
> rather than symlink, but neither symlinking nor copying user-data-dir works,
> so the question of copy vs symlink is moot.

No, the safe thing to do is _not_ to try to second-guess Google's data
storage and muck around with it.

The safe thing to do is leave Google's storage well alone and use the
sync tools that Google has given you to resolve your issue.

*Because...*

> Somewhere outside of
> .config/google-chrome and user-data-dir profile directories there is some
> configuration info that has passwords or enables the passwords to work and
> that's the configuration info that I'm looking for.

And that is *why* what you're trying to do is a bad idea.

On Thu, Mar 22, 2018 at 10:34 AM, Liam Proven <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 22 March 2018 at 17:45, David L <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have dozens of profiles and I simply want to have them seamlessly work in
> the same computer when using an alternate boot partition. There is no reason
> that the use of the cloud should be necessary to share data on the same
> computer

Yes, there is, and you answer this yourself later in your post.

This is why:

> First, sharing the profile by sharing the user-data-dir doesn't work for
> passwords.

Also:

> Second, when I went back to 16.10

Do you mean 17.10?

> (because some things are still
> broken for me in 18.04)

You are apparently attempting to run an unfinished pre-release OS. Don't.

> and ran chrome on one of the profiles that I had
> used from 18.04, it said the profile was broken because it had been used by
> a newer version of chrome.

Don't do that, either.

>  So the safe thing to do it copy the user-data-dir
> rather than symlink, but neither symlinking nor copying user-data-dir works,
> so the question of copy vs symlink is moot.

No, the safe thing to do is _not_ to try to second-guess Google's data
storage and muck around with it.

The safe thing to do is leave Google's storage well alone and use the
sync tools that Google has given you to resolve your issue.

*Because...*

> Somewhere outside of
> .config/google-chrome and user-data-dir profile directories there is some
> configuration info that has passwords or enables the passwords to work and
> that's the configuration info that I'm looking for.

And that is *why* what you're trying to do is a bad idea.

It's not a bad idea to try to backup and restore application configuration data. If my hard drive crashed and I didn't want to copy every bit of cruft from my backup, I'd have the same question. Please stop telling me what I want to do is a bad idea... if you don't know how to do something that is obviously possible and the rational thing to do in some circumstances, just don't respond.

On 23 March 2018 at 01:33, David L <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It's not a bad idea to try to backup and restore application configuration
> data. If my hard drive crashed and I didn't want to copy every bit of cruft
> from my backup, I'd have the same question. Please stop telling me what I
> want to do is a bad idea... if you don't know how to do something that is
> obviously possible and the rational thing to do in some circumstances, just
> don't respond.

I *am* telling you how to do it. You just don't like the method. It
appears you think that you have a better idea (it isn't) which you
can't get working (it won't) and you want help implementing your bad
idea, not fixing your actual problem.

Hint: reconsider.

On 23 March 2018 at 00:33, David L <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Thu, Mar 22, 2018 at 10:34 AM, Liam Proven <[hidden email]> wrote:

It's not a bad idea to try to backup and restore application configuration data. If my hard drive crashed and I didn't want to copy every bit of cruft from my backup, I'd have the same question. Please stop telling me what I want to do is a bad idea... if you don't know how to do something that is obviously possible and the rational thing to do in some circumstances, just don't respond.

What evidence to you have to support the suggestion that it is possible?  It is obviously not clear how to do it or you would have had a solution a long time ago.

Colin

On Fri, Mar 23, 2018 at 1:17 AM, Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 23 March 2018 at 00:33, David L <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Thu, Mar 22, 2018 at 10:34 AM, Liam Proven <[hidden email]> wrote:

It's not a bad idea to try to backup and restore application configuration data. If my hard drive crashed and I didn't want to copy every bit of cruft from my backup, I'd have the same question. Please stop telling me what I want to do is a bad idea... if you don't know how to do something that is obviously possible and the rational thing to do in some circumstances, just don't respond.

What evidence to you have to support the suggestion that it is possible?  It is obviously not clear how to do it or you would have had a solution a long time ago.

If I copy the entire home directory, it works. If I copy the entire home directory minus a few obviously unrelated files, it works. Therefore, there exists a subset of my home directory that makes it work. I'm looking for the smallest subset.

On 23 March 2018 at 14:57, David L <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

OK, I missed the bit where you told us that.  In that case it could be the passwords and keys file as I suggested, I believe they are in .gnome2/keyrings or .local/share/keyrings, or possibly elsewhere dependent on which version of ubuntu you are using.  Whether those contents will work across Ubuntu versions is another matter of course.

Colin

On Fri, Mar 23, 2018 at 12:51 AM, Liam Proven <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 23 March 2018 at 01:33, David L <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It's not a bad idea to try to backup and restore application configuration
> data. If my hard drive crashed and I didn't want to copy every bit of cruft
> from my backup, I'd have the same question. Please stop telling me what I
> want to do is a bad idea... if you don't know how to do something that is
> obviously possible and the rational thing to do in some circumstances, just
> don't respond.

I *am* telling you how to do it. You just don't like the method. It
appears you think that you have a better idea (it isn't) which you
can't get working (it won't) and you want help implementing your bad
idea, not fixing your actual problem.

Hint: reconsider.

Ok. Answer this question then. I have a tape backup of my home directory. My 1TB mechanical hard drive failed and I've replaced it with a 500GB solid state drive. I need to extract a subset of my tape backup to my new 500GB drive and get my chrome profiles working. How do I do it?

I predict that your answer will be the following:

1) Buy a new 1TB hard drive.
2) Extract 1TB of data from your tape backup to your new 1TB hard drive
3) Boot up, log in, and open each of your 100 chrome profiles via the GUI
4) Export passwords from each of the 100 chrome profiles via GUI to the cloud or a local set of files
5) Shut down
6) Install new 500GB solid state drive
7) Boot up, log in, and open each of your 100 chrome profiles via the GUI
8) Import passwords for each of the 100 chrome profiles via GUI from the cloud or thumb drive, etc.

Here's the answer I'm looking for:

1) Extract /home/david/chrome-user-data-dir* /home/david/.config/google-chrome and /home/david/the_other_directories_I_need

The latter answer will take 30 seconds, the former will take many hours and require a new drive that I don't really need.

On Fri, Mar 23, 2018 at 8:17 AM, Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thanks Colin... that's what I suspect is going on. I think it should work across Ubuntu versions assuming that I'm going from an older version to a newer version (otherwise every time somebody upgraded, they'd lose all of their passwords). I'll give it a try and post my results.

On 23 March 2018 at 15:25, David L <[hidden email]> wrote:

Ok. Answer this question then. I have a tape backup of my home directory. My 1TB mechanical hard drive failed and I've replaced it with a 500GB solid state drive. I need to extract a subset of my tape backup to my new 500GB drive and get my chrome profiles working. How do I do it?

You could restore your complete home directory except the (presumably) few directories with massive amounts of data in them.

Colin

Re: copying all chrome config data to different user

Liam Proven
On 23 March 2018 at 16:25, David L <[hidden email]> wrote:

The thing is this, and it's very simple.

I started doing paid professional tech support in 1988. I've been
doing it for Ubuntu since 2004.

I've supported more different apps, OSes and platform than I can
remember. I was a jaded senior-level guy at this before home dial-up
internet had been invented in the UK; I was in the forum where the
founders of the UK's first commercial ISP thrashed out the idea.

Happily, I no longer do it for a living.

I do it for free, because I like and use Ubuntu and for me it is a
good way of giving something back. I try to help the community.

But none the less, I am still a pro, and still a rather jaded and
grumpy old one.

So, yes, I will try to help people here, if I can, but you are getting
the assistance for free.

If someone is paying me lots of money for my assistance, I may, if
they can persuade me that what they want to do is a legitimate thing,
go out of my way to help them to do something which seems to be
foolish or misguided.

But not always.

So, for instance, when in about 1990, a woman came to me because her
word-processor was broken, this is what I found.

She was a trained typist. She used hard carriage returns. Everywhere.
She never let the WP word-wrap; every line ended in a hard CR.

Her printer wore out. She bought a new printer. Its default font was
slightly bigger than the same-named font on her old printer. So those
lines no longer fitted. The WP knew this an obediently wrapped each
line, so a word or 2 ended up on the next line.

I told her, sorry, you've been using your word processor wrongly.
There's nothing I can do to fix this. The printer didn't support
different font sizes (it was a very long time ago), and there was no
way to globally change the font. The WP didn't have a facility to
search-and-replace line endings. So she had to go and hand-edit
hundreds of lines in thousands of documents, many on hundreds of
floppies, because she'd been doing it wrong for years.

As it happened, the way she was doing it wrong worked, for a while,
for one specific combination of hardware. But change that, and she had
a big problem, and one I could not fix for her.

She made a formal complaint to my boss's boss.

I told him what happened. He laughed a lot, and told her I was right.
She complained to her boss, who was her husband. He came to my boss,
and my boss managed to explain what she'd done -- not a trivial task
-- and her husband understood. He agreed that she was rather dogmatic,
and had refused any training or instruction on using word processors
because she was so sure she knew typing from using typewriters.

He sighed and accepted that the problem was of her creation, making it
his problem, and thanked us.

So. I don't know what you're doing. If I took the time and you spent a
while explaining it, and you were paying me for this, and I felt that
there was a valid reason, then I might help. But as a consultant, I
also had to tell my clients "no, that is wrong. You are using the tool
incorrectly, and I will not help."

For instance, in 2012 with a company who formatted 50+ page reports by
copying-and-pasting every line of formatting from the previous report
into the new one in word. "With practice, it only takes a few hours,"
they explained.

I told them no.

They wouldn't listen, took it to management.

So I showed them how stylesheets work and I reformatted a 75 page
report in about 7 seconds by applying a stylesheet to it.

They were astounded, amazed, shocked. They realised they'd wasted
weeks or months of time over years.

But they kept doing it, because it was the only way they knew.

I stopped working with that client.

But when I am doing this kind of support for free: no.

I try not to be rude or hostile, but I am blunt by nature.

So, in this case, my response to your latest email is to highlight this bit:

> 3) Boot up, log in, and open each of your 100 chrome profiles via the GUI

... and say, I don't know what you are doing with 100 Chrome profiles,
but whatever it is, you've probably using a rotten way of doing it and
you should find another way. If you need 100 different profiles, and
you're trying to manually replicate those profiles across multiple
different OS installs or machines or whatever, then you need to
fundamentally reconsider what you're doing and how you're doing it,
because this is a foolish thing to be doing.

(For instance, if you used a network server and network login
accounts, each account could have a different profile on a single
server, each account containing a Chrome profile. Multiple client
machines could connect to the same set of accounts on the server,
allowing access to those accounts from different machines/OSes/distro
versions.)

But if you're trying to manually sync them all? I don't know what
you're doing, but I am willing to tell you that in my considered
professional experience, you are very likely doing it wrong.

So no, I won't go out of my way to analyse the problem.

So far, you've had GBP 75 worth of my time. Most of it on this email.

If you don't like the answer, well, tough. You got it for free. You
get all the consultancy expertise and professional courtesy that you
are paying for.

If you actually listened, I suspect that you could save yourself hours
or days of work.

Instead, you're complaining at me, just like the lady with the hard
carriage-returns.

Email: [hidden email] • Google Mail/Hangouts/Plus: [hidden email]
Twitter/Facebook/Flickr: lproven • Skype/LinkedIn: liamproven
UK: +44 7939-087884 • ČR (+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal): +420 702 829 053

Re: copying all chrome config data to different user

David L

On Fri, Mar 23, 2018 at 12:51 AM, Liam Proven <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 23 March 2018 at 01:33, David L <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It's not a bad idea to try to backup and restore application configuration
> data. If my hard drive crashed and I didn't want to copy every bit of cruft
> from my backup, I'd have the same question. Please stop telling me what I
> want to do is a bad idea... if you don't know how to do something that is
> obviously possible and the rational thing to do in some circumstances, just
> don't respond.

I *am* telling you how to do it. You just don't like the method. It
appears you think that you have a better idea (it isn't) which you
can't get working (it won't) and you want help implementing your bad
idea, not fixing your actual problem.

I got it working and it was simple. I just had to copy ~/.local/share/kwalletd which makes perfect sense... all of the chrome config data is stored in the user-data-dirs except the passwords which needs kwallet data. I knew it would be that easy, I just didn't know off the top of my head which extra directory I needed.

Re: copying all chrome config data to different user

Gilles Gravier
Maybe looking at it from a slightly different perspective, have you tried using chrome's account sync? I don't think it syncs things like cookies and cache... But just about everything else (including account logins and passwords).

That said... cookies/cache. If you make a backup every now and then... by the time you need to restore it, cache is probably outdated, and most of the session cookies as well, so not necessarily an issue.

Gilles

On Fri, Mar 23, 2018 at 12:51 AM, Liam Proven <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 23 March 2018 at 01:33, David L <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It's not a bad idea to try to backup and restore application configuration
> data. If my hard drive crashed and I didn't want to copy every bit of cruft
> from my backup, I'd have the same question. Please stop telling me what I
> want to do is a bad idea... if you don't know how to do something that is
> obviously possible and the rational thing to do in some circumstances, just
> don't respond.

I *am* telling you how to do it. You just don't like the method. It
appears you think that you have a better idea (it isn't) which you
can't get working (it won't) and you want help implementing your bad
idea, not fixing your actual problem.

I got it working and it was simple. I just had to copy ~/.local/share/kwalletd which makes perfect sense... all of the chrome config data is stored in the user-data-dirs except the passwords which needs kwallet data. I knew it would be that easy, I just didn't know off the top of my head which extra directory I needed.

Gilles Gravier - [hidden email]
Using Google Apps web mail