does fedora version of bash recognize SYS_BASH_LOGOUT?

does fedora version of bash recognize SYS_BASH_LOGOUT?

Robert P. J. Day

  was reading "man bash" and ran across this:

"When an interactive login shell exits, or a non-interactive login
shell executes the exit builtin command, bash reads and executes
commands from the files ~/.bash_logout and /etc/bash.bash_logout, if
the files exists."

  i was totally unaware of the system-wide logout file
/etc/bash.bash_logout, so i tested it and it seemed to have no effect,
so i RTFS for bash and, in the CHANGES file, there was this from way
back:

"This document details the changes between this version,
bash-2.0-beta2, and the previous version, bash-2.0-beta1.

... snip ...

There is a new #define available in config.h.top: SYS_BASH_LOGOUT.
If defined to a filename, bash reads and executes commands from that
file when a login shell exits.  It's commented out by default."

  sure enough, in the current source in that file:

  /* System-wide .bashrc file for interactive shells. */
  /* #define SYS_BASHRC "/etc/bash.bashrc" */

  /* System-wide .bash_logout for login shells. */
  /* #define SYS_BASH_LOGOUT "/etc/bash.bash_logout" */

so if red hat builds bash based on the source as it is, then that
variable is still commented out and the man page is misleading.
thoughts?

rday

Re: does fedora version of bash recognize SYS_BASH_LOGOUT?

Ed Greshko
On 03/05/18 19:49, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> so if red hat builds bash based on the source as it is, then that
> variable is still commented out and the man page is misleading.
> thoughts?

Both ~/.bash_logout and /etc/bash.bash_logout  are honored on my F27 system.

[egreshko@meimei ~]$ !ssh
ssh 192.168.1.107
egreshko@192.168.1.107's password:
Last login: Mon Mar  5 19:59:43 2018 from 192.168.1.18

[egreshko@f27gq ~]$ ls /tmp/me /tmp/universal
ls: cannot access '/tmp/me': No such file or directory
ls: cannot access '/tmp/universal': No such file or directory

[egreshko@f27gq ~]$ cat .bash_logout
# ~/.bash_logout

touch /tmp/me
[egreshko@f27gq ~]$ cat /etc/bash.bash_logout
#!/bin/sh

touch /tmp/universal

[egreshko@f27gq ~]$ exit
logout
Connection to 192.168.1.107 closed.
[egreshko@meimei ~]$ ssh 192.168.1.107
egreshko@192.168.1.107's password:
Last login: Mon Mar  5 20:00:29 2018 from 192.168.1.18

[egreshko@f27gq ~]$ ll /tmp/me /tmp/universal
-rw-rw-r--. 1 egreshko egreshko 0 Mar  5 20:01 /tmp/me
-rw-rw-r--. 1 egreshko egreshko 0 Mar  5 20:01 /tmp/universal

--
If simple questions can be answered with a simple google query then why are there so
many of them?

On Mon, 5 Mar 2018, Ed Greshko wrote:

> On 03/05/18 19:49, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > so if red hat builds bash based on the source as it is, then that
> > variable is still commented out and the man page is misleading.
> > thoughts?
>

> Both ~/.bash_logout and /etc/bash.bash_logout are honored on my F27
> system.

  i take it back, you're right, not sure what i did wrong with my
test.

rday

Re: does fedora version of bash recognize SYS_BASH_LOGOUT?

Ed Greshko-2
On 03/05/18 20:10, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> On Mon, 5 Mar 2018, Ed Greshko wrote:
>
>> On 03/05/18 19:49, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>>> so if red hat builds bash based on the source as it is, then that
>>> variable is still commented out and the man page is misleading.
>>> thoughts?
>>
>> Both ~/.bash_logout and /etc/bash.bash_logout are honored on my F27
>> system.
>   i take it back, you're right, not sure what i did wrong with my
> test.

Probably you were testing with a shell that wasn't a login shell.