draftsight

12

draftsight

François Patte
Bonjour,

Does anyone succed to have this software working under fedora 27?

https://www.3ds.com/products-services/draftsight-cad-software/free-download/

It is supposed to read autocad files (.dwg)

Thank you.

--
François Patte
UFR de mathématiques et informatique

Re: draftsight

Philip Rhoades
François,

On 2018-04-28 20:12, François Patte wrote:
> Bonjour,
>
> Does anyone succed to have this software working under fedora 27?
>
> https://www.3ds.com/products-services/draftsight-cad-software/free-download/

I've tried the last few versions but with no success and I have tried
getting support from the company in a few different locations but they
don't respond . .

> It is supposed to read autocad files (.dwg)

Yes, it would be nice if we could get it to work . .

Phil.

> Thank you.

Philip Rhoades

PO Box 896
Cowra  NSW  2794
Australia
E-mail:  [hidden email]

Re: draftsight

Ed Greshko
On 04/28/18 19:57, Philip Rhoades wrote:

> François,
>

> On 2018-04-28 20:12, François Patte wrote:
>> Bonjour,
>>
>> Does anyone succed to have this software working under fedora 27?
>>
>> https://www.3ds.com/products-services/draftsight-cad-software/free-download/
>

> I've tried the last few versions but with no success and I have tried getting
> support from the company in a few different locations but they don't respond . .
>

>> It is supposed to read autocad files (.dwg)
>

> Yes, it would be nice if we could get it to work . .
You may want to describe what the failure is?  Frankly, I was thinking about
trying/testing but since no clue other than "doesn't work" is given I decided not to.

--
Conjecture is just a conclusion based on incomplete information. It isn't a fact.

Re: draftsight

François Patte
Le 28/04/2018 à 14:05, Ed Greshko a écrit :

> On 04/28/18 19:57, Philip Rhoades wrote:
>> François,
>>

>> On 2018-04-28 20:12, François Patte wrote:
>>> Bonjour,
>>>
>>> Does anyone succed to have this software working under fedora 27?
>>>
>>> https://www.3ds.com/products-services/draftsight-cad-software/free-download/
>>

>> I've tried the last few versions but with no success and I have tried getting
>> support from the company in a few different locations but they don't respond . .
>>

>>> It is supposed to read autocad files (.dwg)
>>

>> Yes, it would be nice if we could get it to work . .
>
> You may want to describe what the failure is?  Frankly, I was thinking about
> trying/testing but since no clue other than "doesn't work" is given I decided not to.
I tried several times:

from the Applications menu: nothing happens....

from command line: a splash screen appears, then a little dialog box
which disappears so quickly that you cannot read anything!

After destroying all (?) files written by the software in .config and
.cache directories, you may see the splash screen, then an information
window claiming that an incident happened which has been reported....

From command line as root, I got that "something wrong happened and the
program was closed".

That's all I can say....

Maybe someone else could get some other "information"....

As Philip said: nobody never answers to mails sent to the company...

--
François Patte
UFR de mathématiques et informatique
Laboratoire CNRS MAP5, UMR 8145
Université Paris Descartes
45, rue des Saints Pères
F-75270 Paris Cedex 06
Tél. +33 (0)6 7892 5822

Re: draftsight

Philip Rhoades
Ed,

On 2018-04-28 22:05, Ed Greshko wrote:

> On 04/28/18 19:57, Philip Rhoades wrote:
>> François,
>>

>> On 2018-04-28 20:12, François Patte wrote:
>>> Bonjour,
>>>
>>> Does anyone succed to have this software working under fedora 27?
>>>
>>> https://www.3ds.com/products-services/draftsight-cad-software/free-download/
>>

>> I've tried the last few versions but with no success and I have tried
>> getting
>> support from the company in a few different locations but they don't
>> respond . .
>>

>>> It is supposed to read autocad files (.dwg)
>>

>> Yes, it would be nice if we could get it to work . .
>
> You may want to describe what the failure is?  Frankly, I was thinking
> about
> trying/testing but since no clue other than "doesn't work" is given I
> decided not to.

It was a while ago and I can't remember what the error was (I think it
has been the same problem all along) - I haven't got time to look at it
again now.  I was going to wait until they released another version and
have another shot at it then.  Since it has come up here now, I will
report more detail next time - success or failure . .

P.
--
Philip Rhoades

PO Box 896
Cowra  NSW  2794
Australia
E-mail:  [hidden email]

Re: draftsight

Ed Greshko-2
On 04/28/18 20:56, François Patte wrote:

> I tried several times:
>
> from the Applications menu: nothing happens....
>
> from command line: a splash screen appears, then a little dialog box
> which disappears so quickly that you cannot read anything!
>
> After destroying all (?) files written by the software in .config and
> .cache directories, you may see the splash screen, then an information
> window claiming that an incident happened which has been reported....
>
> From command line as root, I got that "something wrong happened and the
> program was closed".
>
> That's all I can say....
>
> Maybe someone else could get some other "information"....
>
> As Philip said: nobody never answers to mails sent to the company...

OK.  Rather late in the day for me.  Will probably try it tomorrow.

On 04/28/18 22:04, Ed Greshko wrote:
> OK.  Rather late in the day for me.  Will probably try it tomorrow.

Well, I had a bit of time after all.

I downloaded the "beta" from the website as mentioned in the original posting.
Installed it on a fully updated F27 VM with "dnf install".

I then started it from the menu (KDE in my case) and followed the "activation"
instructions.  After clicking on the link that was sent to me I started the
application again and it started and displayed a screen that I've no idea how to
use.  :-)

So, I suppose, I could say it "works for me".

I am using KDE in F27 and Xorg.

Le 28/04/2018 à 16:05, spike a écrit :

> On 28.04.2018 14:56, François Patte wrote:
>> from the Applications menu: nothing happens....
>>
>> from command line: a splash screen appears, then a little dialog box
>> which disappears so quickly that you cannot read anything!
>>
>> After destroying all (?) files written by the software in .config and
>> .cache directories, you may see the splash screen, then an information
>> window claiming that an incident happened which has been reported....
>
> Have you tried running
>
> env --unset=XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP --unset=DESKTOP_SESSION "/opt/dassault-systemes/DraftSight/Linux/DraftSight"

Got the splash screen.....  that's all!

On 04/28/18 22:30, Ed Greshko wrote:
> So, I suppose, I could say it "works for me".

I will add that today I tried running the same program in a VM running GNOME under
Wayland.

I was able to start the program, and activate it.  However, when starting after
activation the work window did show but it indicated an error/crash.

So, it would seem, the program isn't Wayland capable.

Le 29/04/2018 à 04:47, Ed Greshko a écrit :

> On 04/28/18 22:30, Ed Greshko wrote:
>> So, I suppose, I could say it "works for me".
>

> I will add that today I tried running the same program in a VM running GNOME under
> Wayland.
>
> I was able to start the program, and activate it.  However, when starting after
> activation the work window did show but it indicated an error/crash.
>
> So, it would seem, the program isn't Wayland capable.
I use X11 and it crashes....

I use xfce and I will try to use kde on a vm.

On 04/29/18 15:37, François Patte wrote:

> Le 29/04/2018 à 04:47, Ed Greshko a écrit :
>> On 04/28/18 22:30, Ed Greshko wrote:
>>> So, I suppose, I could say it "works for me".
>>
>> I will add that today I tried running the same program in a VM running GNOME under
>> Wayland.
>>
>> I was able to start the program, and activate it.  However, when starting after
>> activation the work window did show but it indicated an error/crash.
>>
>> So, it would seem, the program isn't Wayland capable.
> I use X11 and it crashes....
>
> I use xfce and I will try to use kde on a vm.
Are you saying you never even get to the point where you need to enter registration
information?

FWIW, I installed using "dnf install draftSight.rpm".   Just to make sure we're
installing the same rpm....

[root@f27k egreshko]# sha256sum draftSight.rpm
12a75f492cd76acf1680d75c411a8fea0e0e704423b22d75006671e0cd3be668  draftSight.rpm

[root@f27k egreshko]# ll draftSight.rpm
-rw-rw-r--. 1 egreshko egreshko 619933672 Apr 28 22:03 draftSight.rpm

One thing I found a bit odd is that the binary is....

[root@f27k Linux]# file DraftSight
DraftSight: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, x86-64, version 1 (GNU/Linux), dynamically
linked, interpreter /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2, for GNU/Linux 2.6.24,
BuildID[sha1]=81edf414c1f1186bee8f0fb9fd9f21d55a29ac1a, with debug_info, not stripped

Meaning 64-bit, the dependencies it pulled in were all 32-bit

    Install draftsight-2018.2.0.3072-1.x86_64 @@commandline
    Install expat-2.2.5-1.fc27.i686           @updates
    Install glibc-2.26-27.fc27.i686           @updates
    Install libICE-1.0.9-11.fc27.i686         @fedora
    Install libSM-1.2.2-7.fc27.i686           @fedora
    Install libX11-1.6.5-4.fc27.i686          @fedora
    Install libX11-xcb-1.6.5-4.fc27.i686      @fedora
    Install libXau-1.0.8-9.fc27.i686          @fedora
    Install libXdamage-1.1.4-11.fc27.i686     @fedora
    Install libXext-1.3.3-7.fc27.i686         @fedora
    Install libXfixes-5.0.3-4.fc27.i686       @fedora
    Install libXt-1.1.5-6.fc27.i686           @fedora
    Install libXxf86vm-1.1.4-6.fc27.i686      @fedora
    Install libdrm-2.4.91-1.fc27.i686         @updates
    Install libgcc-7.3.1-5.fc27.i686          @updates
    Install libglvnd-1:1.0.0-1.fc27.i686      @updates
    Install libglvnd-glx-1:1.0.0-1.fc27.i686  @updates
    Install libpciaccess-0.13.4-6.fc27.i686   @fedora
    Install libselinux-2.7-3.fc27.i686        @updates
    Install libsepol-2.7-2.fc27.i686          @updates
    Install libstdc++-7.3.1-5.fc27.i686       @updates
    Install libuuid-2.30.2-3.fc27.i686        @updates
    Install libxcb-1.12-5.fc27.i686           @fedora
    Install libxshmfence-1.2-6.fc27.i686      @fedora
    Install mesa-libGL-17.3.6-1.fc27.i686     @updates
    Install mesa-libGLU-9.0.0-13.fc27.i686    @fedora
    Install mesa-libglapi-17.3.6-1.fc27.i686  @updates
    Install nas-libs-1.9.4-10.fc27.i686       @fedora
    Install nas-libs-1.9.4-10.fc27.x86_64     @fedora
    Install pcre2-10.31-4.fc27.i686           @updates
    Install zlib-1.2.11-4.fc27.i686           @fedora

Did these also get pulled in when you installed?

--
Conjecture is just a conclusion based on incomplete information. It isn't a fact.

Re: draftsight

ToddAndMargo
On 04/28/2018 03:12 AM, François Patte wrote:
> Bonjour,
>
> Does anyone succed to have this software working under fedora 27?
>
> https://www.3ds.com/products-services/draftsight-cad-software/free-download/
>
> It is supposed to read autocad files (.dwg)
>
> Thank you.

Hi François,

I have "IGS Viewer" and "DWGSee Pro 2018" both working perfectly
under Wine Staging.  Both are free.

$ rpm -qa wine-common
wine-common-3.6-1.fc27.noarch

HTH,
-T

Re: draftsight

ToddAndMargo
On 04/29/2018 03:39 AM, ToddAndMargo wrote:

> On 04/28/2018 03:12 AM, François Patte wrote:
>> Bonjour,
>>
>> Does anyone succed to have this software working under fedora 27?
>>
>> https://www.3ds.com/products-services/draftsight-cad-software/free-download/
>>

>> It is supposed to read autocad files (.dwg)
>>
>> Thank you.
>

> Hi François,
>
> I have "IGS Viewer" and "DWGSee Pro 2018" both working perfectly
> under Wine Staging.  Both are free.
>
> $ rpm -qa wine-common
> wine-common-3.6-1.fc27.noarch
>
> HTH,
> -T

Make sure you install the 32 bit version of Wine Staging

    #  dnf install wine.i686

Re: draftsight

ToddAndMargo
On 04/29/2018 03:47 AM, ToddAndMargo wrote:

> On 04/29/2018 03:39 AM, ToddAndMargo wrote:
>> On 04/28/2018 03:12 AM, François Patte wrote:
>>> Bonjour,
>>>
>>> Does anyone succed to have this software working under fedora 27?
>>>
>>> https://www.3ds.com/products-services/draftsight-cad-software/free-download/
>>>

>>> It is supposed to read autocad files (.dwg)
>>>
>>> Thank you.
>>

>> Hi François,
>>
>> I have "IGS Viewer" and "DWGSee Pro 2018" both working perfectly
>> under Wine Staging.  Both are free.
>>
>> $ rpm -qa wine-common
>> wine-common-3.6-1.fc27.noarch
>>
>> HTH,
>> -T
>
> Make sure you install the 32 bit version of Wine Staging
>
>     #  dnf install wine.i686

LibreCAD (CAD program from hxll) "says" is supports DWG.
It supports MAc, Linux, and that OS whose name I will
not mention.

Re: draftsight

François Patte
Le 29/04/2018 à 10:46, Ed Greshko a écrit :

> On 04/29/18 15:37, François Patte wrote:
>>>
>>> I will add that today I tried running the same program in a VM running GNOME under
>>> Wayland.
>>>
>>> I was able to start the program, and activate it.  However, when starting after
>>> activation the work window did show but it indicated an error/crash.
>>>
>>> So, it would seem, the program isn't Wayland capable.
>> I use X11 and it crashes....
>>
>> I use xfce and I will try to use kde on a vm.
>
> Are you saying you never even get to the point where you need to enter registration
> information?
>
> FWIW, I installed using "dnf install draftSight.rpm".   Just to make sure we're
> installing the same rpm....
>
> [root@f27k egreshko]# sha256sum draftSight.rpm
> 12a75f492cd76acf1680d75c411a8fea0e0e704423b22d75006671e0cd3be668  draftSight.rpm
>
> [root@f27k egreshko]# ll draftSight.rpm
> -rw-rw-r--. 1 egreshko egreshko 619933672 Apr 28 22:03 draftSight.rpm
>
> One thing I found a bit odd is that the binary is....
>
> [root@f27k Linux]# file DraftSight
> DraftSight: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, x86-64, version 1 (GNU/Linux), dynamically
> linked, interpreter /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2, for GNU/Linux 2.6.24,
> BuildID[sha1]=81edf414c1f1186bee8f0fb9fd9f21d55a29ac1a, with debug_info, not stripped
>
> Meaning 64-bit, the dependencies it pulled in were all 32-bit
>
>     Install draftsight-2018.2.0.3072-1.x86_64 @@commandline
>     Install expat-2.2.5-1.fc27.i686           @updates
>     Install glibc-2.26-27.fc27.i686           @updates
>     Install libICE-1.0.9-11.fc27.i686         @fedora
>     Install libSM-1.2.2-7.fc27.i686           @fedora
>     Install libX11-1.6.5-4.fc27.i686          @fedora
>     Install libX11-xcb-1.6.5-4.fc27.i686      @fedora
>     Install libXau-1.0.8-9.fc27.i686          @fedora
>     Install libXdamage-1.1.4-11.fc27.i686     @fedora
>     Install libXext-1.3.3-7.fc27.i686         @fedora
>     Install libXfixes-5.0.3-4.fc27.i686       @fedora
>     Install libXt-1.1.5-6.fc27.i686           @fedora
>     Install libXxf86vm-1.1.4-6.fc27.i686      @fedora
>     Install libdrm-2.4.91-1.fc27.i686         @updates
>     Install libgcc-7.3.1-5.fc27.i686          @updates
>     Install libglvnd-1:1.0.0-1.fc27.i686      @updates
>     Install libglvnd-glx-1:1.0.0-1.fc27.i686  @updates
>     Install libpciaccess-0.13.4-6.fc27.i686   @fedora
>     Install libselinux-2.7-3.fc27.i686        @updates
>     Install libsepol-2.7-2.fc27.i686          @updates
>     Install libstdc++-7.3.1-5.fc27.i686       @updates
>     Install libuuid-2.30.2-3.fc27.i686        @updates
>     Install libxcb-1.12-5.fc27.i686           @fedora
>     Install libxshmfence-1.2-6.fc27.i686      @fedora
>     Install mesa-libGL-17.3.6-1.fc27.i686     @updates
>     Install mesa-libGLU-9.0.0-13.fc27.i686    @fedora
>     Install mesa-libglapi-17.3.6-1.fc27.i686  @updates
>     Install nas-libs-1.9.4-10.fc27.i686       @fedora
>     Install nas-libs-1.9.4-10.fc27.x86_64     @fedora
>     Install pcre2-10.31-4.fc27.i686           @updates
>     Install zlib-1.2.11-4.fc27.i686           @fedora
>
> Did these also get pulled in when you installed?
Yes no problem for this.

I installed an f27 with kde desktop on a vm and the program works....

So, my conclusion is that it does not like xfce... How can I find out
what is wrong in xfce for this program?

Le 29/04/2018 à 12:39, ToddAndMargo a écrit :

> On 04/28/2018 03:12 AM, François Patte wrote:
>> Bonjour,
>>
>> Does anyone succed to have this software working under fedora 27?
>>
>> https://www.3ds.com/products-services/draftsight-cad-software/free-download/
>>

>> It is supposed to read autocad files (.dwg)
>>
>> Thank you.
>

> Hi François,
>
> I have "IGS Viewer" and "DWGSee Pro 2018" both working perfectly
> under Wine Staging.  Both are free.
Thank you for this information. I never had much success with wine...
I'll try.

Le 29/04/2018 à 13:01, ToddAndMargo a écrit :

> On 04/29/2018 03:47 AM, ToddAndMargo wrote:

>>> Hi François,
>>>
>>> I have "IGS Viewer" and "DWGSee Pro 2018" both working perfectly
>>> under Wine Staging.  Both are free.
>>>
>>> $ rpm -qa wine-common
>>> wine-common-3.6-1.fc27.noarch
>>>
>>> HTH,
>>> -T
>>
>> Make sure you install the 32 bit version of Wine Staging
>>
>>     #  dnf install wine.i686
>
> LibreCAD (CAD program from hxll) "says" is supports DWG.
> It supports MAc, Linux, and that OS whose name I will
> not mention.
There is a version of librecad in fedora repositories but this does not
work with the dwg files I have: nothing appears in the window when I
open a file!

On 04/30/18 00:10, François Patte wrote:
> So, my conclusion is that it does not like xfce... How can I find out
> what is wrong in xfce for this program?

I'll give xfce a try later today.

On 04/30/18 03:37, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 04/30/18 00:10, François Patte wrote:
>> So, my conclusion is that it does not like xfce... How can I find out
>> what is wrong in xfce for this program?
>
> I'll give xfce a try later today.

I tried draftsight with xfce in a VM just now.  I used F28 since I was already
testing that.  And it works just fine.

I think you should run it from the command line "strace
/opt/dassault-systemes/DraftSight/Linux/DraftSight" and see what it tells you.

On 04/29/2018 09:36 AM, François Patte wrote:

> Le 29/04/2018 à 13:01, ToddAndMargo a écrit :

>>> Make sure you install the 32 bit version of Wine Staging
>>>
>>>      #  dnf install wine.i686
>>
>> LibreCAD (CAD program from hxll) "says" is supports DWG.
>> It supports MAc, Linux, and that OS whose name I will
>> not mention.
>
> There is a version of librecad in fedora repositories but this does not
> work with the dwg files I have: nothing appears in the window when I
> open a file!

It requires a plug in
12