gedit snippet not working on new system

Wade Smart
I have these snippets Ive used for years now.
This one is not working.

tab+t = $(date + "%H%M ")
simply puts in the time for me and the other

tab+q = [QUOTE] $0 [/QUOTE]
is for quotes.

I tried creating a new snippet.
I tried importing the one that works from my laptop.
I just copied over the xml file.
Still doesnt work.

When you hit tab+t, you see the t on screen and then the
tab backspaces over it. No time is seen.

Wade
--
Registered Linux User: #480675
Registered Linux Machine: #408606

Re: gedit snippet not working on new system

Ralf Mardorf-5
On Sun, 29 Jul 2018 06:53:54 -0500, Wade Smart wrote:

>I have these snippets Ive used for years now.
>This one is not working.
>
>tab+t = $(date + "%H%M ")
>simply puts in the time for me and the other
>
>tab+q = [QUOTE] $0 [/QUOTE]
>is for quotes.
>
>I tried creating a new snippet.
>I tried importing the one that works from my laptop.
>I just copied over the xml file.
>Still doesnt work.
>
>When you hit tab+t, you see the t on screen and then the
>tab backspaces over it. No time is seen.

You should mention what Ubuntu (flavour) release you are using and what
version of gedit. From what release or upgrade on it stopped working?

Btw. I'm too stupid to understand
https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Gedit/Plugins/Snippets or how you add those
snippets. I'm not a gedit user at all, but for testing purpose I run
it, checked the snippets plugin and tried to add a snippet without
success.

I'm currently not booted into my Ubuntu install, so I tested with

[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ gedit -V
gedit - Version 3.28.1
[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ lsb_release -a
LSB Version: 1.4
Distributor ID: Arch
Release: rolling
Codename: n/a

On Sun, Jul 29, 2018 at 7:12 AM, Ralf Mardorf <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, 29 Jul 2018 06:53:54 -0500, Wade Smart wrote:
>>I have these snippets Ive used for years now.
>>This one is not working.
>>
>>tab+t = $(date + "%H%M ")
>>simply puts in the time for me and the other
>>
>>tab+q = [QUOTE] $0 [/QUOTE]
>>is for quotes.
>>
>>I tried creating a new snippet.
>>I tried importing the one that works from my laptop.
>>I just copied over the xml file.
>>Still doesnt work.
>>
>>When you hit tab+t, you see the t on screen and then the
>>tab backspaces over it. No time is seen.
>
> You should mention what Ubuntu (flavour) release you are using and what
> version of gedit. From what release or upgrade on it stopped working?
>
> Btw. I'm too stupid to understand
> https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Gedit/Plugins/Snippets or how you add those
> snippets. I'm not a gedit user at all, but for testing purpose I run
> it, checked the snippets plugin and tried to add a snippet without
> success.
>
> I'm currently not booted into my Ubuntu install, so I tested with
>
> [rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ gedit -V
> gedit - Version 3.28.1
> [rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ lsb_release -a
> LSB Version:    1.4
> Distributor ID: Arch
> Release:        rolling
> Codename:       n/a

Ubuntu 18.04 on machines.
Upgraded from 16.04 on the laptop some time ago - snippets work fine.
Fresh install of 18.04 on desktop - this one snippet will not work.

Version 3.28.1 on both machines.

On Sun, Jul 29, 2018 at 7:22 AM, Wade Smart <[hidden email]> wrote:

> --
> Registered Linux User: #480675
> Registered Linux Machine: #408606
> Linux since June 2005
>

> On Sun, Jul 29, 2018 at 7:12 AM, Ralf Mardorf <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Sun, 29 Jul 2018 06:53:54 -0500, Wade Smart wrote:
>>>I have these snippets Ive used for years now.
>>>This one is not working.
>>>
>>>tab+t = $(date + "%H%M ")
>>>simply puts in the time for me and the other
>>>
>>>tab+q = [QUOTE] $0 [/QUOTE]
>>>is for quotes.
>>>
>>>I tried creating a new snippet.
>>>I tried importing the one that works from my laptop.
>>>I just copied over the xml file.
>>>Still doesnt work.
>>>
>>>When you hit tab+t, you see the t on screen and then the
>>>tab backspaces over it. No time is seen.
>>
>> You should mention what Ubuntu (flavour) release you are using and what
>> version of gedit. From what release or upgrade on it stopped working?
>>
>> Btw. I'm too stupid to understand
>> https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Gedit/Plugins/Snippets or how you add those
>> snippets. I'm not a gedit user at all, but for testing purpose I run
>> it, checked the snippets plugin and tried to add a snippet without
>> success.
>>
>> I'm currently not booted into my Ubuntu install, so I tested with
>>
>> [rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ gedit -V
>> gedit - Version 3.28.1
>> [rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ lsb_release -a
>> LSB Version:    1.4
>> Distributor ID: Arch
>> Release:        rolling
>> Codename:       n/a
>>

>> --
>
> Ubuntu 18.04 on machines.
> Upgraded from 16.04 on the laptop some time ago - snippets work fine.
> Fresh install of 18.04 on desktop - this one snippet will not work.
>
> Version 3.28.1 on both machines.

Well - this might be specifically a gedit thing.

On my laptop where it is running I noticed that when you click on
the menu there is no option to manage snippets. There is also no
Preferences menu either. But the snippets do work. On the other
system both menu Preferences and menu > Manage Snippets are
present.

On Sun, 29 Jul 2018 08:06:25 -0500, Wade Smart wrote:
>Well - this might be specifically a gedit thing.
>
>On my laptop where it is running I noticed that when you click on
>the menu there is no option to manage snippets. There is also no
>Preferences menu either. But the snippets do work. On the other
>system both menu Preferences and menu > Manage Snippets are
>present.

On my non-Ubuntu (Arch Linux) install the same version of gedit as
yours has got no menu bar, but the titel bar that does need as much
space as e.g. pluma's title bar + the menu bar. Here gedit has got a
burger menu, it provides 'Preferences' as well as 'Manage Snippets...',
if 'Preferences > Plugins > Snippets' is checked.

If you would advise me how to add one of your snippets, I could test,
if it works for gedit 3.28.1 on Arch Linux. This at least is useful to
evaluate, if the culprit is the Ubuntu package and/or your settings, or
if it's more likely an upstream bug.

On Sun, 29 Jul 2018 15:34:21 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

>On Sun, 29 Jul 2018 08:06:25 -0500, Wade Smart wrote:
>>Well - this might be specifically a gedit thing.
>>
>>On my laptop where it is running I noticed that when you click on
>>the menu there is no option to manage snippets. There is also no
>>Preferences menu either. But the snippets do work. On the other
>>system both menu Preferences and menu > Manage Snippets are
>>present.
>
>On my non-Ubuntu (Arch Linux) install the same version of gedit as
>yours has got no menu bar, but the titel bar that does need as much
>space as e.g. pluma's title bar + the menu bar. Here gedit has got a
>burger menu, it provides 'Preferences' as well as 'Manage Snippets...',
>if 'Preferences > Plugins > Snippets' is checked.
>
>If you would advise me how to add one of your snippets, I could test,
>if it works for gedit 3.28.1 on Arch Linux. This at least is useful to
>evaluate, if the culprit is the Ubuntu package and/or your settings, or
>if it's more likely an upstream bug.

PS: You aren't running 'sudo gedit' or 'gksudo gedit' or anything else
invoking gedit as root?

On Sun, Jul 29, 2018 at 8:34 AM, Ralf Mardorf <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, 29 Jul 2018 08:06:25 -0500, Wade Smart wrote:
>>Well - this might be specifically a gedit thing.
>>
>>On my laptop where it is running I noticed that when you click on
>>the menu there is no option to manage snippets. There is also no
>>Preferences menu either. But the snippets do work. On the other
>>system both menu Preferences and menu > Manage Snippets are
>>present.
>
> On my non-Ubuntu (Arch Linux) install the same version of gedit as
> yours has got no menu bar, but the titel bar that does need as much
> space as e.g. pluma's title bar + the menu bar. Here gedit has got a
> burger menu, it provides 'Preferences' as well as 'Manage Snippets...',
> if 'Preferences > Plugins > Snippets' is checked.
>
> If you would advise me how to add one of your snippets, I could test,
> if it works for gedit 3.28.1 on Arch Linux. This at least is useful to
> evaluate, if the culprit is the Ubuntu package and/or your settings, or
> if it's more likely an upstream bug.

I have the same setup as you do, burger menu > just no preferences or
manage snippets. And no, nothing special for permissions.

And, I fixed it.
$(date +"%H%M ")

There can be no space between + and " and must
be a space after the M before ". Ive never noticed
that in the past but.. whatever .. its working.

(really thinking about reinstalling 16.04 and just sticking
with it because its stable all round)

On Sun, Jul 29, 2018 at 8:42 AM, Wade Smart <[hidden email]> wrote:

> --
> Registered Linux User: #480675
> Registered Linux Machine: #408606
> Linux since June 2005
>

> On Sun, Jul 29, 2018 at 8:34 AM, Ralf Mardorf <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Sun, 29 Jul 2018 08:06:25 -0500, Wade Smart wrote:
>>>Well - this might be specifically a gedit thing.
>>>
>>>On my laptop where it is running I noticed that when you click on
>>>the menu there is no option to manage snippets. There is also no
>>>Preferences menu either. But the snippets do work. On the other
>>>system both menu Preferences and menu > Manage Snippets are
>>>present.
>>
>> On my non-Ubuntu (Arch Linux) install the same version of gedit as
>> yours has got no menu bar, but the titel bar that does need as much
>> space as e.g. pluma's title bar + the menu bar. Here gedit has got a
>> burger menu, it provides 'Preferences' as well as 'Manage Snippets...',
>> if 'Preferences > Plugins > Snippets' is checked.
>>
>> If you would advise me how to add one of your snippets, I could test,
>> if it works for gedit 3.28.1 on Arch Linux. This at least is useful to
>> evaluate, if the culprit is the Ubuntu package and/or your settings, or
>> if it's more likely an upstream bug.
>
> I have the same setup as you do, burger menu > just no preferences or
> manage snippets. And no, nothing special for permissions.
>
> And, I fixed it.
> $(date +"%H%M ")
>
> There can be no space between + and " and must
> be a space after the M before ". Ive never noticed
> that in the past but.. whatever .. its working.
>
> (really thinking about reinstalling 16.04 and just sticking
> with it because its stable all round)

Sorry, didnt answer your question.
Click Manage Snippets.
On the left click on Global to highlight it and at the bottom
of the screen click on the plug + sign.
Name your new snippet .. I called it Time
Paste the above code in the code area to the right.
At the bottom under the code area type t in the tab trigger
box. With the screen still open, or you can close it, in your
document type t and click Tab. It will insert the time.

Wade

Re: gedit snippet not working on new system

Ralf Mardorf-5
Off-topic:

On Sun, 29 Jul 2018 08:42:08 -0500, Wade Smart wrote:
>(really thinking about reinstalling 16.04 and just sticking
>with it because its stable all round)

[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ sudo systemd-nspawn -qD /mnt/moonstudio lsb_release -a
LSB Version: core-9.20160110ubuntu0.2-amd64:core-9.20160110ubuntu0.2-noarch:security-9.20160110ubuntu0.2-amd64:security-9.20160110ubuntu0.2-noarch
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Release: 16.04
Codename: xenial

The 16.04 LTS is the last release providing roxterm:

https://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/roxterm

Temporarily it was discontinued by upstream, but nowadays upstream
continues it, just this is enough for me to stay with 16.04 LTS until
EOL in April 2021.

OTOH webkit '1' and apps compiled against webkit '1' are still
available by 16.04 LTS, e.g.
https://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/claws-mail-fancy-plugin
but for serious security reasons, it is dropped for later releases.

Fortunately I build claws-mail from git myself and I anyway don't care
about HTML for emails.

On Sun, Jul 29, 2018 at 8:58 AM, Ralf Mardorf <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Off-topic:
>
> On Sun, 29 Jul 2018 08:42:08 -0500, Wade Smart wrote:
>>(really thinking about reinstalling 16.04 and just sticking
>>with it because its stable all round)
>
> [rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ sudo systemd-nspawn -qD /mnt/moonstudio lsb_release -a
> LSB Version:    core-9.20160110ubuntu0.2-amd64:core-9.20160110ubuntu0.2-noarch:security-9.20160110ubuntu0.2-amd64:security-9.20160110ubuntu0.2-noarch
> Distributor ID: Ubuntu
> Release:        16.04
> Codename:       xenial
>
> The 16.04 LTS is the last release providing roxterm:
>
> https://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/roxterm
>
> Temporarily it was discontinued by upstream, but nowadays upstream
> continues it, just this is enough for me to stay with 16.04 LTS until
> EOL in April 2021.
>
> OTOH webkit '1' and apps compiled against webkit '1' are still
> available by 16.04 LTS, e.g.
> https://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/claws-mail-fancy-plugin
> but for serious security reasons, it is dropped for later releases.
>
> Fortunately I build claws-mail from git myself and I anyway don't care
> about HTML for emails.

2021.. a few more years of quiet computing :D

On Sun, 29 Jul 2018 09:04:56 -0500, Wade Smart wrote:
>2021.. a few more years of quiet computing :D

Not really, since...

1. Neither for you, nor for me, since an Ubuntu LTS could either suffer
   from security issues, regarding packages from universe such as the
   claws fancy-plugin, or other packages such as firefox from
   main, quasi following a rolling-release approach, for the good and
   the bad, to get rid of security issues, but to suffer from
   'development insanity'.
2. Not for me, since I need to use a rolling release (Arch Linux) for my
   pro-audio machine. Side effects of the pros, unfortunately are
   cons :D.

Re: gedit snippet not working on new system

Volker Wysk
Am Sonntag, 29. Juli 2018, 06:53:54 CEST schrieb Wade Smart:
> This one is not working.
>
> tab+t = $(date + "%H%M ")
> simply puts in the time for me and the other

Shouldn't there be no spaces after the plus sign..?

Volker

On Sun, 29 Jul 2018 08:56:05 -0500, Wade Smart wrote:
>Click Manage Snippets.
>On the left click on Global to highlight it and at the bottom
>of the screen click on the plug + sign.
>Name your new snippet .. I called it Time
>Paste the above code in the code area to the right.
>At the bottom under the code area type t in the tab trigger
>box. With the screen still open, or you can close it, in your
>document type t and click Tab. It will insert the time.

Thank you, it works.