given /usr/bin/rpm2cpio, why exists /usr/lib/rpm/rpm2cpio.sh?

given /usr/bin/rpm2cpio, why exists /usr/lib/rpm/rpm2cpio.sh?

Robert P. J. Day

  subject says it all ... what is the purpose of the file
/usr/lib/rpm/rpm2cpio.sh given the existing binary executable
/usr/bin/rpm2cpio?

rday

Re: given /usr/bin/rpm2cpio, why exists /usr/lib/rpm/rpm2cpio.sh?

Rick Stevens-3

>   subject says it all ... what is the purpose of the file
> /usr/lib/rpm/rpm2cpio.sh given the existing binary executable
> /usr/bin/rpm2cpio?

I believe /usr/lib/rpm/rpm2cpio.sh validates that the given file IS an
RPM in the first place, then uncompresses it based on what version of
RPM was used. IIRC, different versions of RPM used different compression
schemes (bzip2, gzip, xz, lzma and zstd to name a few). Not sure that
/usr/bin/rpm2cpio can handle the older RPMs. I could be wrong (and
probably am).

On Fri, 9 Mar 2018, Rick Stevens wrote:

> On 03/09/2018 11:38 AM, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >
> >   subject says it all ... what is the purpose of the file
> > /usr/lib/rpm/rpm2cpio.sh given the existing binary executable
> > /usr/bin/rpm2cpio?
>
> I believe /usr/lib/rpm/rpm2cpio.sh validates that the given file IS
> an RPM in the first place, then uncompresses it based on what
> version of RPM was used. IIRC, different versions of RPM used
> different compression schemes (bzip2, gzip, xz, lzma and zstd to
> name a few). Not sure that /usr/bin/rpm2cpio can handle the older
> RPMs. I could be wrong (and probably am).

  i see nothing to suggest that rpm2cpio invokes rpm2cpio.sh for that
purpose, can anyone else weigh in here?

rday

Re: given /usr/bin/rpm2cpio, why exists /usr/lib/rpm/rpm2cpio.sh?

Ed Greshko
On 03/10/18 03:38, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>   subject says it all ... what is the purpose of the file
> /usr/lib/rpm/rpm2cpio.sh given the existing binary executable
> /usr/bin/rpm2cpio?

The best place to ask would be at one of the resources list here
http://rpm.org/community.html

--
I believe all research assistants should be paid for their time.

Re: given /usr/bin/rpm2cpio, why exists /usr/lib/rpm/rpm2cpio.sh?

Tom H
On Fri, Mar 9, 2018 at 4:09 PM, Ed Greshko <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 03/10/18 03:38, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>>
>> subject says it all ... what is the purpose of the file
>> /usr/lib/rpm/rpm2cpio.sh given the existing binary executable
>> /usr/bin/rpm2cpio?
>
> The best place to ask would be at one of the resources list here
> http://rpm.org/community.html

It's just a script (read it!) that does the same job as the "rpm2cpio"
executable.

On 03/10/18 05:39, Tom H wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 9, 2018 at 4:09 PM, Ed Greshko <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 03/10/18 03:38, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>>> subject says it all ... what is the purpose of the file
>>> /usr/lib/rpm/rpm2cpio.sh given the existing binary executable
>>> /usr/bin/rpm2cpio?
>> The best place to ask would be at one of the resources list here
>> http://rpm.org/community.html
> It's just a script (read it!) that does the same job as the "rpm2cpio"
> executable.

Yeah, that was my reaction as well.  But for some reason the OP seems to be searching
the file system and looking for answers to esoteric questions for fun and profit.

On Fri, 9 Mar 2018, Tom H wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 9, 2018 at 4:09 PM, Ed Greshko <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On 03/10/18 03:38, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >>
> >> subject says it all ... what is the purpose of the file
> >> /usr/lib/rpm/rpm2cpio.sh given the existing binary executable
> >> /usr/bin/rpm2cpio?
> >
> > The best place to ask would be at one of the resources list here
> > http://rpm.org/community.html
>
> It's just a script (read it!) that does the same job as the
> "rpm2cpio" executable.

  yes, i grok that, but given the existence of the rpm2cpio
executable, is there any additional functionality provided by that
script? why is it there? what purpose does it serve above and beyond
the rpm2cpio program?

On Sat, 10 Mar 2018, Ed Greshko wrote:

> On 03/10/18 05:39, Tom H wrote:
> >> The best place to ask would be at one of the resources list here
> >> http://rpm.org/community.html
> > It's just a script (read it!) that does the same job as the "rpm2cpio"
> > executable.
>
> Yeah, that was my reaction as well.  But for some reason the OP
> seems to be searching the file system and looking for answers to
> esoteric questions for fun and profit.

  or perhaps i'm just curious about the purpose of package components.
seriously, ed, what is your problem? have you always been this much of
a patronizing dick? or is this a recent development?

  my apologies to the list for finally losing patience.

On 03/10/18 05:51, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>   yes, i grok that, but given the existence of the rpm2cpio
> executable, is there any additional functionality provided by that
> script? why is it there? what purpose does it serve above and beyond
> the rpm2cpio program?

You really should go ask the fine folks at rpm.org as your question is very specific
to software they supply.  They would be the subject matter experts.

On 03/10/18 05:55, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>   or perhaps i'm just curious about the purpose of package components.
> seriously,

And for these types of questions, which are so narrowly focused, you really should be
going to the folks that supply it to multiple distros.

Your kinda like asking a GP a very specific question about the heart when you should
be asking a cardiologist.

On Fri, Mar 9, 2018 at 4:51 PM, Robert P. J. Day <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, 9 Mar 2018, Tom H wrote:

>>> The best place to ask would be at one of the resources list here
>>> http://rpm.org/community.html
>>
>> It's just a script (read it!) that does the same job as the
>> "rpm2cpio" executable.
>
> yes, i grok that, but given the existence of the rpm2cpio executable,
> is there any additional functionality provided by that script? why is
> it there? what purpose does it serve above and beyond the rpm2cpio
> program?

It must be provided by upstream for people to be able unpack rpms
without installing rpm executables and libraries. I grab it when I
need to do so on non-Fedora, non-RHEL, non-RHEL-clone systems.

On Fri, 9 Mar 2018, Tom H wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 9, 2018 at 4:51 PM, Robert P. J. Day <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >> It's just a script (read it!) that does the same job as the
> >> "rpm2cpio" executable.
> >
> > yes, i grok that, but given the existence of the rpm2cpio executable,
> > is there any additional functionality provided by that script? why is
> > it there? what purpose does it serve above and beyond the rpm2cpio
> > program?
>
> It must be provided by upstream for people to be able unpack rpms
> without installing rpm executables and libraries. I grab it when I
> need to do so on non-Fedora, non-RHEL, non-RHEL-clone systems.

  ah, mystery solved, thanks.

rday