go get abort trap?

Jungle Boogie
Hi All,

With the latest openbsd snapshot:
OpenBSD 6.3-beta (GENERIC.MP) #40: Wed Mar  7 12:51:00 MST 201

It seems I cannot build or update go projects:

$ go get -u github.com/justwatchcom/gopass
Abort trap (core dumped)

dmesg shows:
trap pid 74737 tid 99500 type 6: sp c420024750 not inside
7f7fffbef000-7f7ffffee000

A week or two ago, I was able to update this project without any issues.
I can't run 'go' without the abort trap.

Anyone else running openbsd snapshots experiencing this?

Thanks!

--
-------
inum: 883510009027723
sip: [hidden email]

Re: go get abort trap?

Hiltjo Posthuma
On Wed, Mar 07, 2018 at 01:46:43PM -0800, jungle Boogie wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> With the latest openbsd snapshot:
> OpenBSD 6.3-beta (GENERIC.MP) #40: Wed Mar  7 12:51:00 MST 201
>
> It seems I cannot build or update go projects:
>
> $ go get -u github.com/justwatchcom/gopass
> Abort trap (core dumped)
>
> dmesg shows:
> trap pid 74737 tid 99500 type 6: sp c420024750 not inside
> 7f7fffbef000-7f7ffffee000
>
> A week or two ago, I was able to update this project without any issues.
> I can't run 'go' without the abort trap.
>
> Anyone else running openbsd snapshots experiencing this?
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> -------
> inum: 883510009027723
> sip: [hidden email]

Hey,

This is probably related to the new stack-register changes.

See the mail with the subject "stack-register checking" on tech@ on 6 March.

I hope this helps,

--
Kind regards,
Hiltjo

Re: go get abort trap?

Stuart Henderson
On 2018-03-07, jungle Boogie <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> With the latest openbsd snapshot:
> OpenBSD 6.3-beta (GENERIC.MP) #40: Wed Mar  7 12:51:00 MST 201
>
> It seems I cannot build or update go projects:
>
> $ go get -u github.com/justwatchcom/gopass
> Abort trap (core dumped)
>
> dmesg shows:
> trap pid 74737 tid 99500 type 6: sp c420024750 not inside
> 7f7fffbef000-7f7ffffee000
>
> A week or two ago, I was able to update this project without any issues.
> I can't run 'go' without the abort trap.
>
> Anyone else running openbsd snapshots experiencing this?

There's a stack safety diff which is in snapshots (for detailed
information see https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-tech&m=152035796722258&w=2:
in a nutshell "You may no longer point your stack register at non-stack
memory.  You'll be killed.")

SBCL needs a change to work with this; see joshe's update on ports@.

Go also needs a change.

Apart from those two: ports bulk builds haven't quite finished yet,
but it's looking likely that there won't be other significant impact.
A few bootstraps need rebuilding, that's all we've run into so far.

Re: go get abort trap?

Jungle Boogie
Thus said Stuart Henderson on Thu, 8 Mar 2018 00:40:03 +0000 (UTC)

> There's a stack safety diff which is in snapshots (for detailed
> information see https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-tech&m=152035796722258&w=2:
> in a nutshell "You may no longer point your stack register at non-stack
> memory.  You'll be killed.")
>
> SBCL needs a change to work with this; see joshe's update on ports@.
>
> Go also needs a change.
>
> Apart from those two: ports bulk builds haven't quite finished yet,
> but it's looking likely that there won't be other significant impact.
> A few bootstraps need rebuilding, that's all we've run into so far.

Thanks Stuart and Hiltjo for the pointers to the mailing list. I'll
continue to use snapshots and update my packages when new ones are made.

Re: go get abort trap?

Theo de Raadt-2
        > On 2018-03-07, jungle Boogie <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > Hi All,
> >
> > With the latest openbsd snapshot:
> > OpenBSD 6.3-beta (GENERIC.MP) #40: Wed Mar  7 12:51:00 MST 201
> >
> > It seems I cannot build or update go projects:
> >
> > $ go get -u github.com/justwatchcom/gopass
> > Abort trap (core dumped)
> >
> > dmesg shows:
> > trap pid 74737 tid 99500 type 6: sp c420024750 not inside
> > 7f7fffbef000-7f7ffffee000
> >
> > A week or two ago, I was able to update this project without any issues.
> > I can't run 'go' without the abort trap.
> >
> > Anyone else running openbsd snapshots experiencing this?
>
> There's a stack safety diff which is in snapshots (for detailed
> information see https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-tech&m=152035796722258&w=2:
> in a nutshell "You may no longer point your stack register at non-stack
> memory.  You'll be killed.")
>
> SBCL needs a change to work with this; see joshe's update on ports@.
>
> Go also needs a change.
>
> Apart from those two: ports bulk builds haven't quite finished yet,
> but it's looking likely that there won't be other significant impact.
> A few bootstraps need rebuilding, that's all we've run into so far.

Fairly good results.

A total of 4 problems have been found so far.  go, SBCL, and two cases
in src/regress which failed the new page-alignement requirement.  The SBCL
and go ones were found at buildtime, since they use themselves to complete
build.

But more page-alignment violations may be found in ports at runtime.

This is something I worry about a bit.  So please everyone out there
can help: Use snapshots which contain the stack-check diff, update to
new packages, and test all possible packages.  Really need a lot of
testing for this, so please help out.

Re: go get abort trap?

Kevin Chadwick-3
On Fri, 09 Mar 2018 07:53:16 -0700

> But more page-alignment violations may be found in ports at runtime.
>
> This is something I worry about a bit.  So please everyone out there
> can help: Use snapshots which contain the stack-check diff, update to
> new packages, and test all possible packages.  Really need a lot of
> testing for this, so please help out.

I tried all the desktop programs I use with no issues. Then I tried a
few random others, kmail died with:

mmap W^X violation

Is that the message you get for this stack-check?

OpenBSD 6.3-beta (GENERIC.MP) #45: Fri Mar  9 02:12:31 MST 2018