how to keep NetworkManager alive after lid close ?

how to keep NetworkManager alive after lid close ?

sean darcy
Fedora 26. Xfce. Power Manager is set to Lock Screen when Plugged in if
laptop lid closed. And thatn works, does not suspend or hibernate. BUT,
NetworkManager is stopped. NM starts when the lid is opened.

How can I get NM to stay alive when I close the lid ?

sean

Re: how to keep NetworkManager alive after lid close ?

Ed Greshko-2
On 03/11/18 00:43, sean darcy wrote:
> Fedora 26. Xfce. Power Manager is set to Lock Screen when Plugged in if laptop lid
> closed. And thatn works, does not suspend or hibernate. BUT, NetworkManager is
> stopped. NM starts when the lid is opened.
>
> How can I get NM to stay alive when I close the lid ?

Are you certain that "NetworkManager" itself stops?  Or, could it simply be that your
Wifi device is being powered off?

I don't use xfce.  But KDE has a section in its "Power Management" setup where it shows

Energy Saving -  And a checkbox for Wireless with choices for "Leave unchanged",
"Turn On", "Turn Off".

Also, what do you have in /etc/systemd/logind.conf for entries containing "LidSwitch"?

--
I believe all research assistants should be paid for their time.

On 03/11/18 07:17, Ed Greshko wrote:

> On 03/11/18 00:43, sean darcy wrote:
>> Fedora 26. Xfce. Power Manager is set to Lock Screen when Plugged in if laptop lid
>> closed. And thatn works, does not suspend or hibernate. BUT, NetworkManager is
>> stopped. NM starts when the lid is opened.
>>
>> How can I get NM to stay alive when I close the lid ?
>>

> Are you certain that "NetworkManager" itself stops?  Or, could it simply be that your
> Wifi device is being powered off?
>
> I don't use xfce.  But KDE has a section in its "Power Management" setup where it shows
>
> Energy Saving -  And a checkbox for Wireless with choices for "Leave unchanged",
> "Turn On", "Turn Off".
>
> Also, what do you have in /etc/systemd/logind.conf for entries containing "LidSwitch"?

FORGET, everything I wrote above.

I miss-remembered the Energy Savings settings.  It only had to do with how to deal
with A/C and Battery options.

And the logind.conf setting is only valid for when no user is logged in.

I've not found a setting in KDE that affects the Wifi of my wife's laptop when the
lid is closed.  With KDE it just stays available even with the lid closed.  (She
wouldn't let me touch her system until now.)

--
I believe all research assistants should be paid for their time.