launchpad... how to add a backport dependency to a PPA.

launchpad... how to add a backport dependency to a PPA.

Peter Silva
Hi folks,

I have a package:  https://launchpad.net/metpx-sarrac
that I have a recipe that auto builds it for 18.04, but it depends on a version
of a package where the distro version is too old in older releases.

https://launchpad.net/~ssc-hpc-chp-spc/+archive/ubuntu/metpx-daily

So I would like for the PPA to build & contain a back-ported version
of the dependency.

librabbitmq > 0.8.0

Do I create a project librabbitmq0_8 ? and build it as a package?
I know 0.8.0 builds fine on 16.04, and it will not force any other dependencies.
I don''t want to pull all sorts of other dependencies (I want the PPA
to use default repositories in general.)  Just need to override this
one.

What would be recommendend ways to do that?

Re: launchpad... how to add a backport dependency to a PPA.

Colin Watson
On Wed, Apr 11, 2018 at 08:45:15AM -0400, Peter Silva wrote:

> that I have a recipe that auto builds it for 18.04, but it depends on a version
> of a package where the distro version is too old in older releases.
>
> https://launchpad.net/~ssc-hpc-chp-spc/+archive/ubuntu/metpx-daily
>
> So I would like for the PPA to build & contain a back-ported version
> of the dependency.
>
> librabbitmq > 0.8.0
>
> Do I create a project librabbitmq0_8 ? and build it as a package?

Creating a full-scale project for it would be inappropriate overkill,
but you should be able to use backportpackage(1) from the
ubuntu-dev-tools package to produce a backport of librabbitmq.  Since
the librabbitmq4 package will presumably be needed at runtime by users
of the packages built against it, I'd recommend simply telling
backportpackage to upload it to the metpx-daily PPA, i.e.:

  backportpackage -s bionic -d xenial -u ppa:ssc-hpc-chp-spc/ubuntu/metpx-daily librabbitmq

If that fails to build, you can grab the resulting source package back
from your PPA, make whatever additional tweaks are needed, bump the
version in debian/changelog, and reupload it.

Re: launchpad... how to add a backport dependency to a PPA.

Peter Silva
That's great... Thank you!

 It almost works... All the normal repos have librabbitmq4, but when I Backport the package it builds librabbitmq .. without the 4 ...

Ideas?

--
Colin Watson                                       [[hidden email]]

On Thu, Apr 12, 2018 at 02:08:16PM +0000, Peter Silva wrote:
> That's great... Thank you!
>
>  It almost works... All the normal repos have librabbitmq4, but when I
> Backport the package it builds librabbitmq .. without the 4 ...

That's fine.  librabbitmq is the source package name.  One of the binary
packages that it builds is librabbitmq4.

Re: launchpad... how to add a backport dependency to a PPA.

Peter Silva
worked great!  I just hadn´t waited enough after uploading for the
build to be done before I built my package.  2nd try worked like a
charm!  Thanks again!