mobile phone MTP connection

Phil-4
This is something that I've had trouble with for a long time, the
connection to the laptop from the phone used to work in earlier Kubuntu
versions but it was always troublesome. I have version 20.10.

The error message tells me to enable MTP in the USB settings, how do I
do that? I cannot find a USB setting anywhere.

Thank you for any help.

Phil

On 14/3/21 7:10 pm, Valorie Zimmerman wrote:
> I gave up on MTP years ago. Just use KDE-Connect. It works like a charm!

Thank you Valorie. I have used KDE Connect in the past but I no longer
have a wireless network, my mobile phone is my only connection to the
Internet.

I have used AirDroid and, although it works well, it's not a simple
drag-and-drop procedure. By the way, I'm able to drag-and-drop files
easily to and from my mobile phone using my Raspberry pi.

Phil

Re: mobile phone MTP connection

Donatas G.
I guess when you connect an android mobile phone for internet connection over usb port, it creates a local network as well. Shouldn't KDE connect work anyway?

Donatas G.

Siųsta iš išmaniojo telefono, tad galėjo likti rašybos klaidų

On 14/3/21 7:10 pm, Valorie Zimmerman wrote:
> I gave up on MTP years ago. Just use KDE-Connect. It works like a charm!

Thank you Valorie. I have used KDE Connect in the past but I no longer
have a wireless network, my mobile phone is my only connection to the
Internet.

I have used AirDroid and, although it works well, it's not a simple
drag-and-drop procedure. By the way, I'm able to drag-and-drop files
easily to and from my mobile phone using my Raspberry pi.

Phil

Re: mobile phone MTP connection

David Fletcher
On Mon, 2021-03-15 at 11:27 +1100, Phil wrote:
> my mobile phone is my only connection to
> the Internet.

Phil,

In that case can you not just set up your phone to provide a WiFi
hotspot?

There's also 4G routers that give you WiFi and four Ethernet ports just
like my Virgin Media router does. Apparently just needs a SIM card of
your choice inserted. I've never used one of these but my partner has a
WiFi only one that she used in a holiday house in Slovenia, it works OK
but appears to be locked to Slovenia Telecom cards.

Dave

On 16/3/21 12:44 am, David Fletcher wrote:
> Phil,
> In that case can you not just set up your phone to provide a WiFi
> hotspot?

I had tried that David but it seems that although the Raspberry pi and
my laptop are then on a wireless network the phone itself is not. I'll
investigate further.
> There's also 4G routers that give you WiFi and four Ethernet ports just

A wireless router would solve the problem but there is the expense of
the router and the need for an additional sim card. Swapping the card
from the phone to the router would be a greater task than using
AirDroid. I have transferred files between my phone and Kubuntu via USB
but not with the current version of Kubuntu. Transferring files to and
from the phone to the Raspberry pi works well so it's not a Linux thing.

Anyway, thank you for your suggestion. I was just wondering if I'd
overlooked a setting because of the error message from Dolphin.

Phil