rc.subr daemons

Henrique António Evaristo
I installed obsd 4.9 recently and installed also the samba packages.
The daemon scripts are installed also ?correctly? in the /etc/rc.d/
directory as well as the rc.subr script.
From the different documentation I've already read, that should be
enough for the scripts to be executed at startup, but this isn't the
case.
I've checked file permissions and everything seems to be good, a
couple of doubts have come up:
1 - I did read somewhere online that the rc.subr should be located in
the /etc folder and only the scripts to be executed would stay in
/etc/rc.d folder, but I've checked the scripts and all of them seem to
expect it to be in the /etc/rc.d folder. So is this just old
information out in wild web?
2 - I also noticed some mention to the variable $rc_scripts to have
been changed to $pkg_scripts, but on my system the script is still
using $rc_scripts. Is this something that was changed and missed on
4.9 release version ?

So if someone could shed some light on how to make the samba daemons
startup at boot time I would really appreciate.
I wanted to try applying the 2nd changes but could not yet, later at
the end of the day I will try it if I have no reply.

Regards,
Henrique

Re: rc.subr daemons

Tomas Bodzar
$ grep -B 2 rc_scripts /etc/rc.conf
# rc.d(8) daemons scripts
# started in the specified order and stopped in reverse order
rc_scripts=
$

2011/8/2 Henrique AntC3nio Evaristo <[hidden email]>:

> I installed obsd 4.9 recently and installed also the samba packages.
> The daemon scripts are installed also ?correctly? in the /etc/rc.d/
> directory as well as the rc.subr script.
> From the different documentation I've already read, that should be
> enough for the scripts to be executed at startup, but this isn't the
> case.
> I've checked file permissions and everything seems to be good, a
> couple of doubts have come up:
> 1 - I did read somewhere online that the rc.subr should be located in
> the /etc folder and only the scripts to be executed would stay in
> /etc/rc.d folder, but I've checked the scripts and all of them seem to
> expect it to be in the /etc/rc.d folder. So is this just old
> information out in wild web?
> 2 - I also noticed some mention to the variable $rc_scripts to have
> been changed to $pkg_scripts, but on my system the script is still
> using $rc_scripts. Is this something that was changed and missed on
> 4.9 release version ?
>
> So if someone could shed some light on how to make the samba daemons
> startup at boot time I would really appreciate.
> I wanted to try applying the 2nd changes but could not yet, later at
> the end of the day I will try it if I have no reply.
>
> Regards,
> Henrique

Re: rc.subr daemons

Otto Moerbeek
On Tue, Aug 02, 2011 at 07:48:16AM +0200, Henrique Ant?nio Evaristo wrote:

> I installed obsd 4.9 recently and installed also the samba packages.
> The daemon scripts are installed also ?correctly? in the /etc/rc.d/
> directory as well as the rc.subr script.
> >From the different documentation I've already read, that should be
> enough for the scripts to be executed at startup, but this isn't the
> case.
> I've checked file permissions and everything seems to be good, a
> couple of doubts have come up:
> 1 - I did read somewhere online that the rc.subr should be located in
> the /etc folder and only the scripts to be executed would stay in
> /etc/rc.d folder, but I've checked the scripts and all of them seem to
> expect it to be in the /etc/rc.d folder. So is this just old
> information out in wild web?
> 2 - I also noticed some mention to the variable $rc_scripts to have
> been changed to $pkg_scripts, but on my system the script is still
> using $rc_scripts. Is this something that was changed and missed on
> 4.9 release version ?
>
> So if someone could shed some light on how to make the samba daemons
> startup at boot time I would really appreciate.
> I wanted to try applying the 2nd changes but could not yet, later at
> the end of the day I will try it if I have no reply.

You should not trust the web.

        $ man rc.d

is authorative and contains the documentation for your system.

        -Otto

> Regards,
> Henrique

Re: rc.subr daemons

Tomas Bodzar
Sure. Sorry for misinformation. I'm installing current on new laptop
right now and I saw change in name. Actual value is pkg_scripts

On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 9:10 AM, Otto Moerbeek <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 02, 2011 at 07:48:16AM +0200, Henrique Ant?nio Evaristo wrote:
>
>> I installed obsd 4.9 recently and installed also the samba packages.
>> The daemon scripts are installed also ?correctly? in the /etc/rc.d/
>> directory as well as the rc.subr script.
>> >From the different documentation I've already read, that should be
>> enough for the scripts to be executed at startup, but this isn't the
>> case.
>> I've checked file permissions and everything seems to be good, a
>> couple of doubts have come up:
>> 1 - I did read somewhere online that the rc.subr should be located in
>> the /etc folder and only the scripts to be executed would stay in
>> /etc/rc.d folder, but I've checked the scripts and all of them seem to
>> expect it to be in the /etc/rc.d folder. So is this just old
>> information out in wild web?
>> 2 - I also noticed some mention to the variable $rc_scripts to have
>> been changed to $pkg_scripts, but on my system the script is still
>> using $rc_scripts. Is this something that was changed and missed on
>> 4.9 release version ?
>>
>> So if someone could shed some light on how to make the samba daemons
>> startup at boot time I would really appreciate.
>> I wanted to try applying the 2nd changes but could not yet, later at
>> the end of the day I will try it if I have no reply.
>
> You should not trust the web.
>
> B  B  B  B $ man rc.d
>
> is authorative and contains the documentation for your system.
>
> B  B  B  B -Otto
>

>> Regards,
>> Henrique

Re: rc.subr daemons

Nick Templeton
Except the op is on 4.9, it's rc_scripts in rc.conf.local(8) in 4.9.

As Otto said, read the documentation on your machine.

-Nick

wrote:

>>> I installed obsd 4.9 recently and installed also the samba packages.
>>> The daemon scripts are installed also ?correctly? in the /etc/rc.d/
>>> directory as well as the rc.subr script.
>>> enough for the scripts to be executed at startup, but this isn't the
>>> case.
>>> I've checked file permissions and everything seems to be good, a
>>> couple of doubts have come up:
>>> 1 - I did read somewhere online that the rc.subr should be located in
>>> the /etc folder and only the scripts to be executed would stay in
>>> /etc/rc.d folder, but I've checked the scripts and all of them seem to
>>> expect it to be in the /etc/rc.d folder. So is this just old
>>> information out in wild web?
>>> 2 - I also noticed some mention to the variable $rc_scripts to have
>>> been changed to $pkg_scripts, but on my system the script is still
>>> using $rc_scripts. Is this something that was changed and missed on
>>> 4.9 release version ?
>>>
>>> So if someone could shed some light on how to make the samba daemons
>>> startup at boot time I would really appreciate.
>>> I wanted to try applying the 2nd changes but could not yet, later at
>>> the end of the day I will try it if I have no reply.
>>
>> You should not trust the web.
>>
>> B B B B $ man rc.d
>>
>> is authorative and contains the documentation for your system.
>>
>> B B B B -Otto
>>

>>> Regards,
>>> Henrique