snapshots contain no data.

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

snapshots contain no data.

FREE BSD QUESTIONS mailing list
I implemented snapshots on my desktop unit.  the zfs pool looks like
this:

zfs list
NAME                 USED  AVAIL  REFER  MOUNTPOINT
zroot               40.4G   851G    96K  /zroot
zroot/ROOT          13.1G   851G    96K  none
zroot/ROOT/default  13.1G   851G  9.14G  /
zroot/tmp           76.4M   851G  2.56M  /tmp
zroot/usr           26.9G   851G    96K  /usr
zroot/usr/home      26.3G   851G  22.4G  /usr/home
zroot/usr/ports      638M   851G   638M  /usr/ports
zroot/usr/src         96K   851G    96K  /usr/src
zroot/var            131M   851G    96K  /var
zroot/var/audit       96K   851G    96K  /var/audit
zroot/var/crash       96K   851G    96K  /var/crash
zroot/var/log        118M   851G  2.60M  /var/log
zroot/var/mail      1.29M   851G   120K  /var/mail
zroot/var/tmp       11.3M   851G  5.45M  /var/tmp

This is one of the snapshot commands I am issuing from cron:

/usr/local/sbin/zfsnap snapshot -a 14d -s -S -r zroot



But when I look in the snapshot directories I see no data.

This is the result:

ls -a /zroot/.zfs/snapshot/*14d
/zroot/.zfs/snapshot/2017-10-10_11.10.00--14d:
. ..

/zroot/.zfs/snapshot/2017-10-10_12.10.00--14d:
. ..
 . . .

/zroot/.zfs/snapshot/2017-10-23_14.10.00--14d:
. ..


This is busy system and I have made many changes to the file system
since starting this on October 10.  Why are there no snapshot
references to changed files or where do I find them?


--
***          e-Mail is NOT a SECURE channel          ***
        Do NOT transmit sensitive data via e-Mail
 Do NOT open attachments nor follow links sent by e-Mail

James B. Byrne                mailto:[hidden email]
Harte & Lyne Limited          http://www.harte-lyne.ca
9 Brockley Drive              vox: +1 905 561 1241
Hamilton, Ontario             fax: +1 905 561 0757
Canada  L8E 3C3

_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-questions
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: snapshots contain no data.

Ultima
Hello James,

I'm not really sure what your expecting to see with ls, but I'll give you
some
tips and hopefully it will help.

If your interested in seeing all the snapshots, running "zfs list -t
snapshot"
will give you the list of all the snapshots, this can be piped into grep to
narrow
the list down. These snapshots can be mounted like so:
"mount -t zfs zroot@SNAPSHOT /mnt" replace SNAPSHOT with a actual
snapshot, in this case something like 2017-10-10_12.10.00--14d should work.

Hope this helps,
Richard Gallamore



On Mon, Oct 23, 2017 at 11:54 AM, James B. Byrne via freebsd-questions <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I implemented snapshots on my desktop unit.  the zfs pool looks like
> this:
>
> zfs list
> NAME                 USED  AVAIL  REFER  MOUNTPOINT
> zroot               40.4G   851G    96K  /zroot
> zroot/ROOT          13.1G   851G    96K  none
> zroot/ROOT/default  13.1G   851G  9.14G  /
> zroot/tmp           76.4M   851G  2.56M  /tmp
> zroot/usr           26.9G   851G    96K  /usr
> zroot/usr/home      26.3G   851G  22.4G  /usr/home
> zroot/usr/ports      638M   851G   638M  /usr/ports
> zroot/usr/src         96K   851G    96K  /usr/src
> zroot/var            131M   851G    96K  /var
> zroot/var/audit       96K   851G    96K  /var/audit
> zroot/var/crash       96K   851G    96K  /var/crash
> zroot/var/log        118M   851G  2.60M  /var/log
> zroot/var/mail      1.29M   851G   120K  /var/mail
> zroot/var/tmp       11.3M   851G  5.45M  /var/tmp
>
> This is one of the snapshot commands I am issuing from cron:
>
> /usr/local/sbin/zfsnap snapshot -a 14d -s -S -r zroot
>
>
>
> But when I look in the snapshot directories I see no data.
>
> This is the result:
>
> ls -a /zroot/.zfs/snapshot/*14d
> /zroot/.zfs/snapshot/2017-10-10_11.10.00--14d:
> .       ..
>
> /zroot/.zfs/snapshot/2017-10-10_12.10.00--14d:
> .       ..
>  . . .
>
> /zroot/.zfs/snapshot/2017-10-23_14.10.00--14d:
> .       ..
>
>
> This is busy system and I have made many changes to the file system
> since starting this on October 10.  Why are there no snapshot
> references to changed files or where do I find them?
>
>
> --
> ***          e-Mail is NOT a SECURE channel          ***
>         Do NOT transmit sensitive data via e-Mail
>  Do NOT open attachments nor follow links sent by e-Mail
>
> James B. Byrne                mailto:[hidden email]
> Harte & Lyne Limited          http://www.harte-lyne.ca
> 9 Brockley Drive              vox: +1 905 561 1241
> Hamilton, Ontario             fax: +1 905 561 0757
> Canada  L8E 3C3
>
> _______________________________________________
> [hidden email] mailing list
> https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-questions
> To unsubscribe, send any mail to "freebsd-questions-
> [hidden email]"
>
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-questions
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: snapshots contain no data.

FREE BSD QUESTIONS mailing list

On Mon, October 23, 2017 15:19, Ultima wrote:
> Hello James,
>
> I'm not really sure what your expecting to see with ls, but I'll give
> you some tips and hopefully it will help.

The examples I could find respecting searching for a file in a
snapshot never seemed to manage to note that one first must mount a
snapshot before doing anything with it; and I somehow overlooked that
significant detail in my other readings.

>
> These snapshots can be mounted like so:
> "mount -t zfs zroot@SNAPSHOT /mnt" replace SNAPSHOT with a actual
> snapshot, in this case something like 2017-10-10_12.10.00--14d should
> work.
>

mount -t zfs zroot@2017-10-10_11.10.00--14d /mnt/snapshot
mount: zroot@2017-10-10_11.10.00--14d: Device busy

What does this mean, besides the patently obvious, and how it is
resolved?  What I am trying to do is retrieve one file from the
initial snapshot.


--
***          e-Mail is NOT a SECURE channel          ***
        Do NOT transmit sensitive data via e-Mail
 Do NOT open attachments nor follow links sent by e-Mail

James B. Byrne                mailto:[hidden email]
Harte & Lyne Limited          http://www.harte-lyne.ca
9 Brockley Drive              vox: +1 905 561 1241
Hamilton, Ontario             fax: +1 905 561 0757
Canada  L8E 3C3

_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-questions
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: snapshots contain no data.

Ultima
Probably means the snapshot is already mounted, have not seen
this error in any other case when mounting zfs snapshots. I'm not
too familiar with using snapdir=visible property though.

On Mon, Oct 23, 2017 at 12:30 PM, James B. Byrne <[hidden email]>
wrote:

>
> On Mon, October 23, 2017 15:19, Ultima wrote:
> > Hello James,
> >
> > I'm not really sure what your expecting to see with ls, but I'll give
> > you some tips and hopefully it will help.
>
> The examples I could find respecting searching for a file in a
> snapshot never seemed to manage to note that one first must mount a
> snapshot before doing anything with it; and I somehow overlooked that
> significant detail in my other readings.
>
> >
> > These snapshots can be mounted like so:
> > "mount -t zfs zroot@SNAPSHOT /mnt" replace SNAPSHOT with a actual
> > snapshot, in this case something like 2017-10-10_12.10.00--14d should
> > work.
> >
>
> mount -t zfs zroot@2017-10-10_11.10.00--14d /mnt/snapshot
> mount: zroot@2017-10-10_11.10.00--14d: Device busy
>
> What does this mean, besides the patently obvious, and how it is
> resolved?  What I am trying to do is retrieve one file from the
> initial snapshot.
>
>
> --
> ***          e-Mail is NOT a SECURE channel          ***
>         Do NOT transmit sensitive data via e-Mail
>  Do NOT open attachments nor follow links sent by e-Mail
>
> James B. Byrne                mailto:[hidden email]
> Harte & Lyne Limited          http://www.harte-lyne.ca
> 9 Brockley Drive              vox: +1 905 561 1241
> Hamilton, Ontario             fax: +1 905 561 0757
> Canada  L8E 3C3
>
>
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-questions
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: snapshots contain no data.

FREE BSD QUESTIONS mailing list

On Mon, October 23, 2017 15:49, Ultima wrote:
> Probably means the snapshot is already mounted, have not seen
> this error in any other case when mounting zfs snapshots. I'm not
> too familiar with using snapdir=visible property though.
>

I do not see such a mount anywhere:

# mount
zroot/ROOT/default on / (zfs, local, noatime, nfsv4acls)
devfs on /dev (devfs, local, multilabel)
fdescfs on /dev/fd (fdescfs)
procfs on /proc (procfs, local)
zroot/tmp on /tmp (zfs, local, noatime, nosuid, nfsv4acls)
zroot/usr/home on /usr/home (zfs, local, noatime, nfsv4acls)
zroot/usr/ports on /usr/ports (zfs, local, noatime, nosuid, nfsv4acls)
zroot/usr/src on /usr/src (zfs, local, noatime, nfsv4acls)
zroot/var/audit on /var/audit (zfs, local, noatime, noexec, nosuid,
nfsv4acls)
zroot/var/crash on /var/crash (zfs, local, noatime, noexec, nosuid,
nfsv4acls)
zroot/var/log on /var/log (zfs, local, noatime, noexec, nosuid,
nfsv4acls)
zroot/var/mail on /var/mail (zfs, local, nfsv4acls)
zroot/var/tmp on /var/tmp (zfs, local, noatime, nosuid, nfsv4acls)
zroot on /zroot (zfs, local, noatime, nfsv4acls)

--
***          e-Mail is NOT a SECURE channel          ***
        Do NOT transmit sensitive data via e-Mail
 Do NOT open attachments nor follow links sent by e-Mail

James B. Byrne                mailto:[hidden email]
Harte & Lyne Limited          http://www.harte-lyne.ca
9 Brockley Drive              vox: +1 905 561 1241
Hamilton, Ontario             fax: +1 905 561 0757
Canada  L8E 3C3

_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-questions
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"