ubnt unfi stable from ports doesn´t start with rcctl but as root

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

ubnt unfi stable from ports doesn´t start with rcctl but as root

miraculli .
Hi,

just upgrade the Unifi Controller net/unifi/stable (version 5.8.30) from
ports.
The controller service doesn´t start wit rcctl(8) but works fine when
running as root.
My guess is that _unifi is not allowed to start monogd but don´t have a
clue how to fix this...
Does it matter if databases/mongo is install from ports or pkg?
I installed all dependecies manually with pkg_add(1)

Any idea where to look?

Thanks
--mirac
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: ubnt unfi stable from ports doesn??t start with rcctl but as root

Bryan Vyhmeister
On Tue, Jan 08, 2019 at 03:27:39PM +0100, Thomas Huber wrote:

> just upgrade the Unifi Controller net/unifi/stable (version 5.8.30) from
> ports.
> The controller service doesn??t start wit rcctl(8) but works fine when
> running as root.
> My guess is that _unifi is not allowed to start monogd but don??t have a
> clue how to fix this...
> Does it matter if databases/mongo is install from ports or pkg?
> I installed all dependecies manually with pkg_add(1)
>
> Any idea where to look?

On my UniFi box (which is running -current and unifi-5.9.32), I also enabled
mongod to start at boot.

rcctl enable mongod
rcctl enable unifi

It has been running fine for me for years that way.

Bryan

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: ubnt unfi stable from ports doesn??t start with rcctl but as root

Stuart Henderson
On 2019-01-08, Bryan Vyhmeister <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 08, 2019 at 03:27:39PM +0100, Thomas Huber wrote:
>> just upgrade the Unifi Controller net/unifi/stable (version 5.8.30) from
>> ports.
>> The controller service doesn??t start wit rcctl(8) but works fine when
>> running as root.
>> My guess is that _unifi is not allowed to start monogd but don??t have a
>> clue how to fix this...
>> Does it matter if databases/mongo is install from ports or pkg?
>> I installed all dependecies manually with pkg_add(1)
>>
>> Any idea where to look?

any output from "rcctl -d start unifi"?
anything in logs?

> On my UniFi box (which is running -current and unifi-5.9.32), I also enabled
> mongod to start at boot.
>
> rcctl enable mongod
> rcctl enable unifi
>
> It has been running fine for me for years that way.
>
> Bryan
>
>

That shouldn't be necessary, unifi starts mongod itself with its own
dbpath/port/unixSocketPrefix/logpath.


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: ubnt unfi stable from ports doesn??t start with rcctl but as root

miraculli .
Hi and thanks!

On Wed, 9 Jan 2019 at 18:06, Stuart Henderson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 2019-01-08, Bryan Vyhmeister <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 08, 2019 at 03:27:39PM +0100, Thomas Huber wrote:
> >> just upgrade the Unifi Controller net/unifi/stable (version 5.8.30)
from
> >> ports.
> >> The controller service doesn??t start wit rcctl(8) but works fine when
> >> running as root.
> >> My guess is that _unifi is not allowed to start monogd but don??t have
a
> >> clue how to fix this...
> >> Does it matter if databases/mongo is install from ports or pkg?
> >> I installed all dependecies manually with pkg_add(1)
> >>
> >> Any idea where to look?
>
> any output from "rcctl -d start unifi"?

# rcctl -d start unifi

doing _rc_parse_conf
doing _rc_quirks
unifi_flags empty, using default ><
doing _rc_parse_conf /var/run/rc.d/unifi
doing _rc_quirks
doing rc_check
unifi
doing rc_start
doing _rc_wait start
doing rc_check
doing rc_check
Alarm clock
doing _rc_write_runfile
(ok)
#

>
> anything in logs?

yes, there was... sorry that I didn´t look for that by myself at the first
time.
several files had wrong permissions. I chowned to '_unifi:wheel' and now it
seem to work fine.

Also I moved the directories 'data' and 'backup' to /var and linked back
just like the logs are.
Is this a good or bad idea?

thanks
--mirac
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: ubnt unfi stable from ports doesn??t start with rcctl but as root

Stuart Henderson
On 2019/01/09 21:47, Thomas Huber wrote:

> Hi and thanks!
>
> On Wed, 9 Jan 2019 at 18:06, Stuart Henderson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > On 2019-01-08, Bryan Vyhmeister <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > On Tue, Jan 08, 2019 at 03:27:39PM +0100, Thomas Huber wrote:
> > >> just upgrade the Unifi Controller net/unifi/stable (version 5.8.30) from
> > >> ports.
> > >> The controller service doesn??t start wit rcctl(8) but works fine when
> > >> running as root.
> > >> My guess is that _unifi is not allowed to start monogd but don??t have a
> > >> clue how to fix this...
> > >> Does it matter if databases/mongo is install from ports or pkg?
> > >> I installed all dependecies manually with pkg_add(1)
> > >>
> > >> Any idea where to look?
> >
> > any output from "rcctl -d start unifi"?
>
> # rcctl -d start unifi                                                                        
>                    
> doing _rc_parse_conf
> doing _rc_quirks
> unifi_flags empty, using default ><
> doing _rc_parse_conf /var/run/rc.d/unifi
> doing _rc_quirks
> doing rc_check
> unifi
> doing rc_start
> doing _rc_wait start
> doing rc_check
> doing rc_check
> Alarm clock
> doing _rc_write_runfile
> (ok)
> #
>
> >
> > anything in logs?
>
> yes, there was... sorry that I didn´t look for that by myself at the first time.
> several files had wrong permissions. I chowned to '_unifi:wheel' and now it seem to work fine.

I guess the most likely cause of that would be starting it manually
(i.e. outside the rcctl/rc.d system) as a different user (probably root).

> Also I moved the directories 'data' and 'backup' to /var and linked back just like the logs
> are.
> Is this a good or bad idea?

You may have to fix some things up after updating in future. With hindsight
that may have been a better choice but a bit awkward to change in the port
now.