using /usr/bin/mail on Ubuntu 18.04

Jerry Geis-2
Hi

I am trying to do something like:
echo "" | mail [hidden email]

This just hangs... Weird right.

So I tried:

I got prompted for CC
I got prompter for Subject
I then entered both above - and a short body
on the far left I entered just the . and hit enter
nothing - it does not send ?

What might be happening that mail is not "sending".
Thanks,

Jerry

Re: using /usr/bin/mail on Ubuntu 18.04

Adam Funk
On 2021-06-17, Jerry Geis wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am trying to do something like:
> echo "" | mail [hidden email]
>
> This just hangs... Weird right.
>
> So I tried:
>
> mail [hidden email]
> I got prompted for CC
> I got prompter for Subject
> I then entered both above - and a short body
> on the far left I entered just the . and hit enter
> nothing - it does not send ?
>
> What might be happening that mail is not "sending".

Maybe you need to install a mail transfer agent?

I think nullmailer is good enough if you just want to send
command-line, cron, and at mail to yourself.

Re: using /usr/bin/mail on Ubuntu 18.04

Peter Flynn
On 17/06/2021 13:40, Jerry Geis wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am trying to do something like:
> echo "" | mail [hidden email]
>
> This just hangs... Weird right.

What is in /etc/mail? You need to have a mail transfer agent (MTA)
installed to send mail. See what happens if you try

sudo apt install sendmail

(warning: you then need to configure it to send via your email provider)

Peter

On 2021-06-17, Jerry Geis wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am trying to do something like:
> echo "" | mail [hidden email]
>
> This just hangs... Weird right.
>
> So I tried:
>
> mail [hidden email]
> I got prompted for CC
> I got prompter for Subject
> I then entered both above - and a short body
> on the far left I entered just the . and hit enter
> nothing - it does not send ?
>
> What might be happening that mail is not "sending".

Maybe you need to install a mail transfer agent?

I think nullmailer is good enough if you just want to send
command-line, cron, and at mail to yourself.

Thanks nullmailer has helped.   When installing it with "apt -y install nullmailer" it prompts for two things-
how do I tell the installer to just accept the defaults ? For future automated installs.
Thanks

Jerry

Re: using /usr/bin/mail on Ubuntu 18.04

Keith-12
On 6/19/21 3:08 PM, Jerry Geis wrote:

[SNIP]

> Thanks nullmailer has helped.   When installing it with "apt -y install
> nullmailer" it prompts for two things-
> how do I tell the installer to just accept the defaults ? For
> future automated installs.
> Thanks
>
> Jerry

# DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive apt -y install <packagename>

The above command will install a package with default config values.