video card questions

François Patte
Bonjour,

1- When there are two video cards on a computer, an integrated one and
another one, how can we know which video card is used by the system?

2- I have a laptop with an ATI/AMD card, is there a proprietary driver
available on fedora (like this exists for nvidia cards).

Thank you.

--
François Patte
UFR de mathématiques et informatique

Re: video card questions

John O'Dwyer
Hi François

Please see the following links that might be useful:
https://doc.fedora-fr.org/wiki/Prime
https://doc.fedora-fr.org/wiki/Carte_graphique_ATI_-_AMD_Radeon_:_installation_des_pilotes_libres

In relation to a proprietary driver that would depend on the card you have. Can you tell me what card you have? If you have an older card then the opensource driver is your only option as I believe these older cards are only supported by the opensource driver. If you have a new card then please see the following:
https://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMD-Radeon-GPU-PRO-Linux-Beta-Driver%E2%80%93Release-Notes.aspx

Regards John

Re: video card questions

Doug McGarrett

On 03/05/2018 03:17 AM, François Patte wrote:
Bonjour,

1- When there are two video cards on a computer, an integrated one and
another one, how can we know which video card is used by the system?
I don't know of a laptop on which you could have two video cards, but on a desktop, it's easy: the card into which you have connected your monitor is the card that is in use. If you have
a video decoder on your MOBO, and you plug your monitor into a MOBO jack, then that's the one that's in use. If you have a nice NVIDIA card in a socket on the MOBO, and you plug
the monitor into that card, then that's the one that's in use. It should be obvious!

2- I have a laptop with an ATI/AMD card, is there a proprietary driver
available on fedora (like this exists for nvidia cards).

Thank you.

Re: video card questions

Samuel Sieb
On 03/05/2018 12:17 AM, François Patte wrote:
> 1- When there are two video cards on a computer, an integrated one and
> another one, how can we know which video card is used by the system?

"glxinfo" will tell you which device is currently being used for 3D
graphics.  In my case, it includes lines like:
Device: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Sandybridge Mobile  (0x126)
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Sandybridge Mobile

> 2- I have a laptop with an ATI/AMD card, is there a proprietary driver
> available on fedora (like this exists for nvidia cards).

No, a while back AMD switched to using only the open-source driver for
all new devices.

Re: video card questions

François Patte
Le 06/03/2018 à 01:54, Doug a écrit :

> On 03/05/2018 03:17 AM, François Patte wrote:
>> Bonjour,
>>
>> 1- When there are two video cards on a computer, an integrated one and
>> another one, how can we know which video card is used by the system?
> I don't know of a laptop on which you could have two video cards, but on
> a desktop, it's easy: the card into which you have connected your
> monitor is the card that is in use. If you have
> a video decoder on your MOBO, and you plug your monitor into a MOBO
> jack, then that's the one that's in use. If you have a nice NVIDIA card
> in a socket on the MOBO, and you plug
> the monitor into that card, then that's the one that's in use. It should
> be obvious!
But it is on laptop... So...

And it is not as "obvious" as you say: the integrated video card can be
disable in the bios...
 But there is no such a possibility on the laptop I am talking about.

Le 05/03/2018 à 21:19, John O'Dwyer a écrit :

> Hi François
>
> Please see the following links that might be useful:
> https://doc.fedora-fr.org/wiki/Prime
> https://doc.fedora-fr.org/wiki/Carte_graphique_ATI_-_AMD_Radeon_:_installation_des_pilotes_libres
>
>  In relation to a proprietary driver that would depend on the card
> you have. Can you tell me what card you have? If you have an older
> card then the opensource driver is your only option as I believe
> these older cards are only supported by the opensource driver. If you
> have a new card then please see the following:
> https://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMD-Radeon-GPU-PRO-Linux-Beta-Driver%E2%80%93Release-Notes.aspx
>
>  Regards John
Thank you for these links! I will try to understand what they are
explaining...

The video card is a Radeon HD 8790M. s that a new or an old card?

Regards

--
François Patte
UFR de mathématiques et informatique
Laboratoire CNRS MAP5, UMR 8145
Université Paris Descartes
45, rue des Saints Pères
F-75270 Paris Cedex 06
Tél. +33 (0)6 7892 5822

Re: video card questions

Wolfgang Pfeiffer
On Tue, 6 Mar 2018 09:18:32 +0100
François Patte <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The video card is a Radeon HD 8790M. s that a new or an old card?

Wikipedia says the card is from 2013.

And AMD: The card doesn't have switchable graphics:
https://products.amd.com/en-ca/search/Laptop-Graphics/AMD-Radeon%E2%84%A2-HD-8000M-Series/AMD-Radeon%E2%84%A2-HD-8700M-Series/AMD-Radeon%E2%84%A2-HD-8790M-Series-GPU/8

Following are hints. You need to explore yourself if you want to be
sure:

No switchable graphics means (really: tentatively) that your video
system with higher load is not being able to switch from using your
internal to the discrete card, the 8970, and back to the internal one
if the video system load goes down. That is, your computer probably
uses only one card of two (or more?) and keeps using it independently
of the video workload in one single X session. (¹)

I never tried to set the system to use either the integrated or the
discrete card.

As to your previous question:  "how can we know which video card is
used by the system?"

Samuel Sieb has answered the question already. But additionally:  I've
installed radeontop: if you start it, it might complain that it didn't
find Radeon cards. I take this that the device is not in use. And in
this case a command like this might confirm what radeontop says:

as root:
  cat /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch
0:DIS: :DynOff:0000:01:00.0
1:IGD:+:Pwr:0000:00:02.0
2:DIS-Audio: :Off:0000:01:00.1

DIS seems to say that the dynamical switch on/off system switched off
the discrete card (²)

Also try have a look at the result of something like these:
  xrandr --listproviders

  lspci -nnk |grep -A 7 -i vga

Firmware loaded?:
  journalctl -n 10000 | grep -E 'drm|radeon' | grep -iE 'firmware|microcode'
 (raise '-n #' if there's no output ... )

---------------------------------------
notes:

(¹) X11 or wayland session?
0:
loginctl
1:
loginctl show-session <number received via prev. command> -p Type

(²) https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/v4.9/gpu/vga-switcheroo.html

HTH
Regards
--