vt's enable screen blanking

Wolfgang S Rupprecht

How does one activate screen blanking on the vt's these days?

I have an ancient 32-bit x86 Acer mini laptop running as a server where
the X11 greeter just started crashing in a tight loop.  I've turned the
graphical login off but that leaves me with the first vt's login prompt
displaying.  Whatever is responsible for blanking the screen seems not
to be doing its thing.  Where is the screen blank timer configuration
these days?  It has been so long and things have changed so much that
google is useless.   I assume systemd has absorbed that function by now
but I can't find it.   /etc/systemd/logind.conf doesn't seem to have a
screenblank setting even though it seems to have everything else.

-wolfgang

Re: vt's enable screen blanking

stan-3
On Mon, 09 Apr 2018 08:57:12 -0700
Wolfgang S Rupprecht <[hidden email]> wrote:

> How does one activate screen blanking on the vt's these days?

I use setterm --blank=60 to prevent the screens from blanking after
whatever the default is (10 minutes?).  I don't know where the actual
setting is, though.  But you could put it in an rc.local file with
whatever value you want to use so it is set on startup.

stan <[hidden email]> writes:
> On Mon, 09 Apr 2018 08:57:12 -0700
> Wolfgang S Rupprecht <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> How does one activate screen blanking on the vt's these days?
>
> I use setterm --blank=60 to prevent the screens from blanking after
> whatever the default is (10 minutes?).  I don't know where the actual
> setting is, though.  But you could put it in an rc.local file with
> whatever value you want to use so it is set on startup.

Thanks.

That looks like a fine solution if you are logged in on a terminal and
you want to change it for your current terminal.  I'm not sure how that
would work from rc.local.  How would I tell it to do that to all the
vt's?  (I tried the stdin and stdout as redirection targets but it
didn't seem to work.)

-wolfgang

Re: vt's enable screen blanking

stan-3
On Mon, 09 Apr 2018 12:56:43 -0700
Wolfgang S Rupprecht <[hidden email]> wrote:

> That looks like a fine solution if you are logged in on a terminal and
> you want to change it for your current terminal.  I'm not sure how
> that would work from rc.local.  How would I tell it to do that to all
> the vt's?  (I tried the stdin and stdout as redirection targets but it
> didn't seem to work.)

A quick search turned up these pages, which should get you a little
further on your journey.

https://superuser.com/questions/152347/change-linux-console-screen-blanking-behavior

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/8056/disable-screen-blanking-on-text-console

stan <[hidden email]> writes:

> On Mon, 09 Apr 2018 12:56:43 -0700
> Wolfgang S Rupprecht <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> That looks like a fine solution if you are logged in on a terminal and
>> you want to change it for your current terminal.  I'm not sure how
>> that would work from rc.local.  How would I tell it to do that to all
>> the vt's?  (I tried the stdin and stdout as redirection targets but it
>> didn't seem to work.)
>
> A quick search turned up these pages, which should get you a little
> further on your journey.
>
> https://superuser.com/questions/152347/change-linux-console-screen-blanking-behavior
>
> https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/8056/disable-screen-blanking-on-text-console

Thanks.   Those are both 7 years old and things appear to have changed
much.

[wolfgang@arbol ~]$ setterm -blank 600
setterm: argument error: 600

Not only is the "-blank" missing but I believe it applies to the current
tty.  That would make it difficult to slip into /etc/rc.local .

-wolfgang

Re: vt's enable screen blanking

Ed Greshko
On 04/13/18 06:16, Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:

> stan <[hidden email]> writes:
>> On Mon, 09 Apr 2018 12:56:43 -0700
>> Wolfgang S Rupprecht <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> That looks like a fine solution if you are logged in on a terminal and
>>> you want to change it for your current terminal.  I'm not sure how
>>> that would work from rc.local.  How would I tell it to do that to all
>>> the vt's?  (I tried the stdin and stdout as redirection targets but it
>>> didn't seem to work.)
>> A quick search turned up these pages, which should get you a little
>> further on your journey.
>>
>> https://superuser.com/questions/152347/change-linux-console-screen-blanking-behavior
>>
>> https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/8056/disable-screen-blanking-on-text-console
> Thanks.   Those are both 7 years old and things appear to have changed
> much.
>
> [wolfgang@arbol ~]$ setterm -blank 600
> setterm: argument error: 600
>
> Not only is the "-blank" missing but I believe it applies to the current
> tty.  That would make it difficult to slip into /etc/rc.local .

man setterm

       --blank [0-60|force|poke]  (virtual consoles only)

              Sets  the  interval  of  inactivity,  in  minutes, after which the
              screen will be automatically blanked  (using  APM  if  available).
              Without  an  argument,  it gets the blank status (returns which vt
              was blanked, or zero for an unblanked vt).

              The force option keeps the screen blank even if a key is pressed.

              The poke option unblanks the screen.

Double Dash :-) :-)

--
Conjecture is just a conclusion based on incomplete information. It isn't a fact.

Re: vt's enable screen blanking

Rick Stevens-3
On 04/12/2018 03:16 PM, Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wrote:

> stan <[hidden email]> writes:
>> On Mon, 09 Apr 2018 12:56:43 -0700
>> Wolfgang S Rupprecht <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> That looks like a fine solution if you are logged in on a terminal and
>>> you want to change it for your current terminal.  I'm not sure how
>>> that would work from rc.local.  How would I tell it to do that to all
>>> the vt's?  (I tried the stdin and stdout as redirection targets but it
>>> didn't seem to work.)
>>
>> A quick search turned up these pages, which should get you a little
>> further on your journey.
>>
>> https://superuser.com/questions/152347/change-linux-console-screen-blanking-behavior
>>
>> https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/8056/disable-screen-blanking-on-text-console
>
> Thanks.   Those are both 7 years old and things appear to have changed
> much.
>
> [wolfgang@arbol ~]$ setterm -blank 600
> setterm: argument error: 600
>
> Not only is the "-blank" missing but I believe it applies to the current
> tty.  That would make it difficult to slip into /etc/rc.local .

The option is "--blank" (two dashes, as are most multicharacter command
line options) and the maximum value allowed is 60 (this is in minutes),
with 0 meaning "don't blank at all". And yes, it's for the current VT.
I know of no way of forcing it onto other VTs, and I still really don't
see a reason to need to change it unless you're watching a terminal for
output for some reason.

Re: vt's enable screen blanking

stan-3
On Thu, 12 Apr 2018 15:16:52 -0700
"Wolfgang S. Rupprecht" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> stan <[hidden email]> writes:

> > A quick search turned up these pages, which should get you a little
> > further on your journey.
> >
> > https://superuser.com/questions/152347/change-linux-console-screen-blanking-behavior
> >
> > https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/8056/disable-screen-blanking-on-text-console
>
> Thanks.   Those are both 7 years old and things appear to have changed
> much.

Did you try this from the suggestions at the links?  I didn't, but the
console has not changed that drastically lately because the emphasis
has been on the GUI, so it should still work.

"""
The only permanent solution is to add consoleblank=0 to the kernel
command-line. You can view the value (which defaults to 600 seconds) in:

/sys/module/kernel/parameters/consoleblank
"""

"""
The default console blanking behavior is baked into the kernel at
compile time. It is configurable at boot time with the paramater
consoleblank=, or in userspace with setterm. From the kernel
documentation (kernel-parameters.txt):

consoleblank=  [KNL] The console blank (screen saver) timeout in
               seconds. Defaults to 10*60 = 10mins. A value of 0
               disables the blank timer.
"""

I see it is still documented in the kernel Documentation, so I don't
think it has gone away, and the path is still there on my system.